1. Joined
    30 Oct '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '08 21:47
    I am fairly new to the site and am wondering what the proper etiquette is regarding sending gentle nudges to opponents who are not actively pursuing a game. Specifically, is it okay for me to remind opponents to move who have not timed out (for instance in the 2008 tournament with a 60 day timebank) but have made numerous moves in their other games (not against me) while letting my game go idle? Am I just being obsessive?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jan '08 22:25
    Originally posted by DesertRat
    I am fairly new to the site and am wondering what the proper etiquette is regarding sending gentle nudges to opponents who are not actively pursuing a game. Specifically, is it okay for me to remind opponents to move who have not timed out (for instance in the 2008 tournament with a 60 day timebank) but have made numerous moves in their other games (not against me) while letting my game go idle? Am I just being obsessive?
    I don't send them, I don't get them. I've blocked it.

When you play a 7 day game for example, the reminder comes up in 3 days.

You also can't message with a reminder, but you can PM them and warn them if their time goes over you will take the time out.

From there, you can decide how you want to treat your games. I waste ALL my time and would never blame anyone for timing me out if I let the clock expire. I try not to, but if it does... that's my problem.

If anyone bad mouths you in the forums for timing them out, they will get a healthy dose of "That's Your Problem" for letting their clock run out.

Send your reminders if you like, we can block them is we so choose.

P-
  3. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    21 Jan '08 23:26
    Yeah, if people specifically don't want reminders they'll turn them off. If they're moving in other games I wouldn't bother sending. If they come to the site they've seen your game but must just be having a long think.
  4. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 11:57
    Personally I find it really stupid that as said above, in a 7 day game the reminder already shows up after 3 days.
    That is one of the reasons why I turned reminders off. Some people click it as soon as it comes available.
  5. UK
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:16
    Originally posted by DesertRat
    Specifically, is it okay for me to remind opponents to move who have not timed out (for instance in the 2008 tournament with a 60 day timebank) but have made numerous moves in their other games (not against me) while letting my game go idle? Am I just being obsessive?
    I do that all the time. It's not a personal thing, it's normally to do with the game position. For example if I have five games in opening book and "your" game is balanced on a knife edge deep in the mid/end game, then I'll rattle through the opening games whilst ignoring yours. That's what the "skip this game for now" button is useful for.

I don't object to people sending reminders to move. But generally I don't act on them either, unless I happen to have forgotten a game by mistake. 😳
  6. Berks.
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 20:28
    I'm inclined to agree with mrmist. I do prioritise games, am far from the fastest mover, and will move more frequently in others as a result (notably those with less time).

However, with the reminder feature now optional, if you see it, then presumably the recipient will not be unhappy to receive it. If you see it, go for it, though many of us aren't interested either way, we just opt out.

That said I'd be wary of sending anything via PM, unless you know the person you'd be sending it to. I had one guy suggesting I had slowed down dramatically and should resign. I was about to as it happened, but didn't like the message. Played on at my normal speed (I had slowed down, but that happened with almost all games, less time with the school term starting).
  7. Earth
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 22:29
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I don't send them, I don't get them. I've blocked it.

When you play a 7 day game for example, the reminder comes up in 3 days.

You also can't message with a reminder, but you can PM them and warn them if their time goes over you will take the time out.

From there, you can decide how you want to treat your games. I waste ALL my time and would nev ...[text shortened]... ck run out.

Send your reminders if you like, we can block them is we so choose.

P-
    I find the concept of the reminder feature slightly bizzare.
    As stated, if I sign up to a 7 or 14 day timeout, it is because I intend to move infrequently. To then be reminded by my opponent potentially every 2 days is therefore unwelcome.

If I cannot remember that I have a chess account, and some ongoing games therein, and hence require reminding by email of this fact, perhaps I should not be playing a game of mental agility at all, as I clearly have memory issues.

They appear superfluous. The argument "but you can disable the function" does not answer these basic concerns.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 23:211 edit
    Originally posted by Policestate
    If I cannot remember that I have a chess account, and some ongoing games therein, and hence require reminding by email of this fact, perhaps I should not be playing a game of mental agility at all, as I clearly have memory issues.
    I always have a couple of boards going with a buddy in Australia. He only plays those games, and we play them at a very lesiurely pace (a move a week on average). He doesn't visit the site for any other reason than those 2 games. Sometimes, he misses a move notification, and after waiting a month or so, I send him a reminder, and he moves.

It does have it's (admittedly, very limited) uses.

I don't receive them, and to be honest, I don't even notice the little envelopes. Actually, while writing this post, I just thought of a solution for people who are annoyed at the envelopes. If you use firefox and the adblock extension, right click on an envelope, and choose adblock image. You'll never see another envelope again (unless you choose to unblock them).

D
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 01:46
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I always have a couple of boards going with a buddy in Australia. He only plays those games, and we play them at a very lesiurely pace (a move a week on average). He doesn't visit the site for any other reason than those 2 games. Sometimes, he misses a move notification, and after waiting a month or so, I send him a reminder, and he moves.

It does hav ...[text shortened]... k image. You'll never see another envelope again (unless you choose to unblock them).

D
    Another solution to the envelopes is playing SLOW like I do. When I move, people tend to move right away in hopes of ending a game that took a month or two to get out of the opening.

P-
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 06:10
    i do my best to ignore the senseless little yellow envelopes. i wish they were a nice mauve or teal. actually, they do serve a purpose for those who are dabbling in RHP. send them, don't send them, it doesn't matter. eventually you'll end up ignoring them.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 08:12
    Originally posted by Policestate
    I find the concept of the reminder feature slightly bizzare.
    As stated, if I sign up to a 7 or 14 day timeout, it is because I intend to move infrequently. To then be reminded by my opponent potentially every 2 days is therefore unwelcome.
    Oh, I find the concept perfectly sensible. When you have masses of games on, it is only to be expected that you accidentally leave one for longer than you should, and being reminded of that is no problem. It's also a good way to give a player who's on a skull a last warning: move now, or I time you out.
    What I don't get is that, as mentioned upthread, the reminder appears before the timebank starts depleting. I want to be reminded to move when I'm onto borrowed time, not when I still have comfortably enough time left on this move.

Richard
  12. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 21:02
    Originally posted by coquette
    i do my best to ignore the senseless little yellow envelopes. i wish they were a nice mauve or teal. actually, they do serve a purpose for those who are dabbling in RHP. send them, don't send them, it doesn't matter. eventually you'll end up ignoring them.
    ignoring is hard, everytime you see the game u might think its a skull or trash box, so your eyes keep flashing to them everytime you open RHP again. therefore you waste energy. then again im not sure how to calculate how much enery 1 mouseclick costs compared to a few flashes with your eyeballs.

i dont want to see them so i click em right away, besides i hope it will irritate the player if he has it enabled😀
  13. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 21:03
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It's also a good way to give a player who's on a skull a last warning: move now, or I time you out.
    isnt it either envelope or skull? not skull with allso the option to envelope?
  14. back in business
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 09:12
    Where is this reminder? I can certainly tell my opponinets to move or is that harassment?
  15. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 12:16
    When you go to ''My Games''
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/mygames/mygames.php

you see the list of games you got running, there you would see an envelope behind the game if its possible to send an email reminder.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree