Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. Standard member Frank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    10 Jul '07 02:20
    Well, this is the Help forum,

I'm painting some interior doors with latex paint. I am applying it with rollers, the roller claims to lay down a smooth layer, but the surface comes out slightly rough. Like orange peeling in auto and aircraft painting. I don't think it should matter that I'm painting outside. I'm in a shed with a windbreak.
    How to smooth it out? Add a little water?

Any painters out there with some advice?

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
  2. 10 Jul '07 07:18
    Originally posted by Frank Burns

I'm painting some interior doors with latex paint. I am applying it with rollers, the roller claims to lay down a smooth layer, but the surface comes out slightly rough. Like orange peeling in auto and aircraft painting. I don't think it should matter that I'm painting outside. I'm in a shed with a windbreak.
    How to ...[text shortened]... a little water?

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
    1. Stop using rollers; use a brush.
    2. Stop doing it yourself! Are there no children around? Wives? Can't you tie a brush to the dog's tail?
    3. Sit in a chair, drink beer, and supervise. Have I taught you nothing?
    4. I just wanted to prove I could count to four, in case there was any doubt.
  3. 10 Jul '07 12:05

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
    Use a brush. The type of paint you are using is more viscous than most, and the surface of the roller therefore creates an uneven surface. And use a quality brush not a cheap one.
    DONT ADD WATER! It needs to be viscous to cover the wood correctly
  4. Standard member Frank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    11 Jul '07 04:58
    Excellent responses! Thank you. I will meld the two togther. My dogs tail is an exquisite brush which I will not dip in water. I will drink plenty of beer as required to finish the project.

But seriously my friends. Thank you for the helpful info. I shall put it to use. No cheap brushes and no watering down. No rollers. Plenty of beer.

Thanks guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Frank
  5. 11 Jul '07 05:09

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
    If it had a finish on it before be sure to use a de-glosser first or sandpaper.
  6. Standard member Frank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    11 Jul '07 19:02
    Originally posted by lepomis
    If it had a finish on it before be sure to use a de-glosser first or sandpaper.
    Yes, in fact I used a heat gun and removed the paint completely. Then puttied in all the nicks and dings and primed it.