Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. Standard member tbearc3896
    Happy Bear
    29 Feb '08 08:52
    I am playing a game (4316794). The game is 89 moves into it. My oppnent has a King, Knight & Rook. I have my King. We have made 55 half moves since last capture/pawn move. When or does an automatic stalemate take effect? Don't have much more room to run, :'(Game 4316794
  2. Subscriber C J Horse
    A stable personality
    29 Feb '08 09:27
    "Stalemate" occurs when the player whose turn it is does not have a legal move. This is an automatic draw.

You may claim a draw if there has been no capture or pawn move for 50 full moves (100 half-moves). This is not automatic - you have to claim it. You've got another 45 half-moves to go yet.
  3. Subscriber Mutt n Stu
    K.I.N.G.
    29 Feb '08 11:22 / 1 edit
    You can also draw if the same position is repeated 3 times (also not automatic and has to be claimed).
  4. 29 Feb '08 13:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    [bYou may claim a draw if there has been no capture or pawn move for 50 full moves (100 half-moves). This is not automatic - you have to claim it. You've got another 45 half-moves to go yet.[/b]
    Is it possible to claim draw due to the 50-move rule when the history is corrupted? Who can prove that 50 moves without pawn moves and without any takings has been done?

A true stalemate is easier to claim because it depends only of the last move done.
  5. Standard member John of Reading
    Scotch addict
    01 Mar '08 11:20
    The 50-move rule doesn't need the full history. The number of non-pawn/non-capture moves is at the end of the FEN, so is available as part of the current state of the game.

There may be a problem with claiming a draw by repetion, though.
  6. 03 Mar '08 21:22
    Getting back to the original query - stalemate is when no legal move is available. For example if you only have your king left and capturing or moving it puts it in check,