Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 30 Jun '04 05:36
    If my pawn reaches the other end of the board before there are any other pieces for me to recover, then I lose my queen, can I re activate her?
  2. 30 Jun '04 05:41
    if ur pawn reaches the other end of the board you have a choice of a knight,bishop, rook, or queen reguardless what pieces you have on the board. im not quite sure wat ur asking but i hope that helps
  3. 30 Jun '04 05:47
    my apponent has only captured 3 pawns. I made it to the other end before
    I lost my queen. can I put my queen back on the board even though it was
    captured 3 moves after my pawn reached the other end of the board? I had nothing to choose from previously.
  4. Standard member no1marauder
    Caustic/Disagreeable
    30 Jun '04 06:16
    Originally posted by stgrego78
    my apponent has only captured 3 pawns. I made it to the other end before
    I lost my queen. can I put my queen back on the board even though it was
    captured 3 moves after my pawn reached the other end of the board? I had nothing to choose from previously.
    When a pawn reaches the other end of the board, you must immediately replace it with another piece. This is true even if you haven't lost a piece yet; you are allowed to have two or more queens on the board at the same time. You do not and should not wait for a piece to be lost!!
  5. Standard member SirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    30 Jun '04 06:26
    Yep,a classic example of a 'self made-up rule'.We had a lot of those rules when we first learned this game.Hehe,sweet memories
    To help clear it up,at any given time in the game,when a pawn reaches the other side it must promote to a piece of your choice,regardless of which pieces are still on the board,even when no piece is taken the pawn must promote.For instance,in theory it is possible to have 9 queens,unlikely to happen,but possible.

    Sir Lot.
  6. 30 Jun '04 06:31
    Thank you all very much.
  7. 02 Jul '04 15:24
    In theory it's possible to have eighteen queen's on board at once. If that ever happend in one of my games. I'd have to take an asprin and go to bed.
  8. Standard member SirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    02 Jul '04 17:35
    Originally posted by buddy2
    In theory it's possible to have eighteen queen's on board at once. If that ever happend in one of my games. I'd have to take an asprin and go to bed.
    LOL

    Can I have one of those asprin's too,please?
  9. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    03 Jul '04 07:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    Yep,a classic example of a 'self made-up rule'.We had a lot of those rules when we first learned this game.Hehe,sweet memories
    To help clear it up,at any given time in the game,when a pawn reaches the other side it must promote t ...[text shortened]... ible to have 9 queens,unlikely to happen,but possible.

    Sir Lot.
    It is not possible to have 9 queens as that would mean that your opponent had no pawns (otherwise you couldn't promote them) meaning their king could not do much hiding. Once you had 6 queens on the board the oppossing king would not have many squares left on the board that weren't attacked. By the time you got to eight there would be no where left.

    James.
  10. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    30 Dec '05 00:02
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    It is not possible to have 9 queens as that would mean that your opponent had no pawns (otherwise you couldn't promote them) meaning their king could not do much hiding. Once you had 6 queens on the board the oppossing king would not have many squares left on the board that weren't attacked. By the time you got to eight there would be no where left.

    James.
    But surely you are promoting your own pawns and not the oppositions and therefore they could have pawns left on the board
  11. 30 Dec '05 00:26
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    It is not possible to have 9 queens as that would mean that your opponent had no pawns (otherwise you couldn't promote them) meaning their king could not do much hiding. Once you had 6 queens on the board the oppossing king would not have many squares left on the board that weren't attacked. By the time you got to eight there would be no where left.

    James.
    I'm sure 9 queens is theoretically possible, and I believe 18 is as well, through a series of captures you can double and triple the pawns so that each one can pass each other.



    The king is not in check and has plenty of places to move.
  12. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    30 Dec '05 01:51
    Originally posted by Coconut
    I'm sure 9 queens is theoretically possible, and I believe 18 is as well, through a series of captures you can double and triple the pawns so that each one can pass each other.

    [fen]4QQQQ/4QQQ1/4QQ2/8/8/8/2k5/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    The king is not in check and has plenty of places to move.
    That board is absolute rubbish. You have to be able to prove you can reach that position. Stick to what you do best Cocotard - washing out the dunnies after school. Jesus wept.

    skeeter
  13. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    30 Dec '05 02:05
    Originally posted by stgrego78
    If my pawn reaches the other end of the board before there are any other pieces for me to recover, then I lose my queen, can I re activate her?
    Try learning the rules. Then play.

    Going about it this way round is always best.
  14. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    30 Dec '05 02:07
    Originally posted by skeeter
    That board is absolute rubbish.
    What's wrong with it?
  15. Subscriber leestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    30 Dec '05 02:14 / 2 edits
    Here is a way to get 18 queens, after that it's just a case of shielding the king with the new queens.

    1. a4 a5
    2. b4 c5
    3. b5 d5
    4. c4 d4
    5. e4 e5
    6. d3 b6
    7. f4 f6
    8. f5 g5
    9. g4 h5
    10. h3 h4
    11. Nc3 dxc3
    12. d4 Nc6
    13. bxc6 b5
    14. d5 b4
    15. Ne2 Ba6
    16. Ng3 hxg3
    17. h4 Bb5
    18. axb5 a4
    19. h5 Ne7
    20. Rh4 gxh4
    21. g5 Ng6
    22. fxg6 f5
    23. h6 f4
    24. Be3 Rh7
    25. Bd4 Rf7
    26. h7 Rf5
    27. exf5 cxd4
    28. f6