Why or why not?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 06:54
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Yes Or No
    Why or why not?
    Answering with a simple yes or no one has first to define - "What is a sport", right?

Does the word "sport" involve muscular activities? No, then motor sport is not a sport.
    Does the word "sport" involve being first, strongest or in other way well defined best? No, then ice dancing is not a sport. The judges see of the artistic performance. If ice dancing is a sport then Miss Universe is also a sport.
    Does the word "sport" involve a battle of individuals or teams to challenge each others? Yes, in my opinion. Every battle? Yes I think so. (Give me counterexamples otherwise.)

So - Of course, chess is a sport.
  3. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 07:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Answering with a simple yes or no one has first to define - "What is a sport", right?

Does the word "sport" involve muscular activities? No, then motor sport is not a sport.
    Does the word "sport" involve being first, strongest or in other way well defined best? No, then ice dancing is not a sport. The judges see of the artistic performance. If ice dan ...[text shortened]... es I think so. (Give me counterexamples otherwise.)

So - Of course, chess is a sport.
    Motor sport requires a great deal of concentration and co-ordination - the change gears, accelerate, brake, turn corners all requires muscular activity - consider the g-force the body has to endure during a race.

Ice-dancing requires muscular activity and therefore satisfies your first criteria, the assessment of the artistic routine is scored, therefore can be ranked and first place given.

If the game of Chess is a sport because it is a battle, then so would the game of Scrabble etc.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 08:18
    Originally posted by STRATOSPH3R3
    Motor sport requires a great deal of concentration and co-ordination - the change gears, accelerate, brake, turn corners all requires muscular activity - consider the g-force the body has to endure during a race.

Ice-dancing requires muscular activity and therefore satisfies your first criteria, the assessment of the artistic routine is scored, there ...[text shortened]...
    If the game of Chess is a sport because it is a battle, then so would the game of Scrabble etc.
    I think the term "sport" is very loosely defined by people.

Yes, motorsport is sport because it is called a sport.
    Yes, ice dancing is a sport because it is a part of the olympics.
    Scrabble is not a sport. Why?
    Miss Universum is not a sport. Why?
    And - chess is usually not considered a sport.

But we have a circular reasoning in this case. "X is not a sport because it is not considered a sport." and "Y is a sport because it is a activity within olympic games."
    So why is chess usually not considered a sport?

The more interesting question is from the start "What is a sport?" Then we can see what falls inside this definition and what falls outside.

(I see chess as a sport.)
  5. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 10:07
    I think that the line between sports and games, and that of exercise and play is nebulus. Games are often redefined as sports when they involve particularly skilled participants, which gives them appeal to non-participants especially if you give creedence to the spectator aspect of sports and the hours upon hours of media coverage that is devoted to it.

Similarly, play is usually understood as less purposeful activity, but can become more like a game or sport as it conforms more to external rules or patterns of behaviour. Exercise or training is action to develop skill or ability, and may be a forerunner of both sport and games.

I suppose if I were to look for characteristics that define a sport I would consider the following:

1) The exercise of a useful skill in a recreational manner (that is not related to a vocation). This can be broken down into physical sports, that use characteristics such as strength, stamina, speed, dexterity and other skills and other recreational pursuits that use more cerebral skills

2) It conforms to a set of rules for the activity while aiming to attain excellence. By excellence I am referring is ameasurement against previous benchmarks, time measurements, performance, world records, etc.

So I agree that the game of chess is a sport.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 10:31
    you have to move chess peices, which are often quite heavy, so there is a certain amount of strenuous activity, and in a long match repetitive strain disorder may occur.
    risky game
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 15:04
    Why do people always confuse Athletics with Sports?

Grab a dictionary and look up sports.

P-
  8. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 17:32
    Does this really belong in the "Help" forum?

For the record, NASCAR isn't a sport either.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 17:48
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Does this really belong in the "Help" forum?

For the record, NASCAR isn't a sport either.
    Did you look the word up yet? NASCAR is a sport.

P-
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 17:571 edit
    Yes Or No
    Why or why not?
    I'm wondering why this question is posted in the help forum??? Is this thread not for the general forum??? Yes or No??
    Why or why not??
  11. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 19:42
    Because I was asked by some1 else, and needed help with it.
  12. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 01:53
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Did you look the word up yet? NASCAR is a sport.

P-
    What could be more sporting than driving in a circle 400 times with a car identical to the 39 other cars also driving in a circle 400 times?

For sheer sportsmanship, it doesn't get any better, unless you include professional wrestling.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:20
    Because I was asked by some1 else, and needed help with it.
    Well this help forum is for help using this chess site. Or if you are having problems with this chess site. Not to define if chess is a sport or not. So i'm sure your question could and would be debated better in another forum. By the way, When it is all said and done. Chess is just a board game. 😲 😛 😉
  14. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:54
    here here king dave... chess is classified as a strategy game not a sport!!!! Heres a good strategy... play chess and stop debating crap!!!!
  15. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:16
    I will take any player with enof balls

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree