1. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    04 Oct '07 01:391 edit
    Dr Strangelove? Others?
    Have Mozilla 1.6 on a linux machine (not my primary computer, obviously)
    I can unpackage/unzip and that's as far as I got. Problem seems to be in executing the run-mozilla.sh
    I'm not sure what build this is, it is a wierd distro and doesn't have the yum utility
    or any of the others installation utilities that I know of, so those will be of no help to me.
    (unless I'm doing that wrong too!)

-J
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '07 11:25
    Originally posted by Jamin
    Dr Strangelove? Others?
    Have Mozilla 1.6 on a linux machine (not my primary computer, obviously)
    I can unpackage/unzip and that's as far as I got. Problem seems to be in executing the run-mozilla.sh
    I'm not sure what build this is, it is a wierd distro and doesn't have the yum utility
    or any of the others installation utilities that I know of, so those will be of no help to me.
    (unless I'm doing that wrong too!)

-J
    As a noob you should not be using Slackware or some ancient distro. I would recommend Fedora which comes with yum as well as Firefox already as a package. Those distros without a package manager like yum are for people who have used linux/unix for many years who are comfortable with the CLI.

Even if you want to run firefox on that deathbed the instructions in the mozilla readme are fairly self-explanatory. Why do you want to run Mozilla 1.6 whereas Firefox 2 is the latest?
  3. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    04 Oct '07 18:391 edit
    clarification: it has 1.6 on it now, I'm trying to install 2 on there.
    The unpack is very simple... However the executable will not execute. I think I'm going to follow your advice and get a new distro of linux then learn how to use it from scratch, so to speak.

*edit*
    Thank you, btw!

-J
  4. Standard memberskryking
    Seeking the Present
    Plainfield, IL
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 09:24
    Originally posted by Jamin
    clarification: it has 1.6 on it now, I'm trying to install 2 on there.
    The unpack is very simple... However the executable will not execute. I think I'm going to follow your advice and get a new distro of linux then learn how to use it from scratch, so to speak.

*edit*
    Thank you, btw!

-J
    there are a couple of different ways you can deal with it...

the shell script probably isn't set executable by default the command

chmod +x ./run_mozilla.sh

will make it executable... then you can just run it with ./run_mozilla.sh

alternatively you can spawn a new shell and feed it the script as a parameter like this.

sh ./run_mozilla.sh

either should execute it for you.

Skryking

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree