1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 15:50
    today I noticed User 593786 was in 8 different rating sections of the banded closed Sicilian tournaments. what happens here when this occurs?.. . and ruling against this?
  2. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 16:26
    If your rating is within the set limits you enter a tournament. If your rating rises or falls to outside the limits before the tournament starts you are not withdrawn. It would be a bit of a nightmare for admin otherwise.

This player's rating rose sharply, so I guess he became eligible for each band in quick succession. Nothing to be done about it, but it's odd that his rating plummeted so quickly and then rose again equally quickly. There have been many instances of this for various reasons, some of them reasonable, some not.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 11:53
    Originally posted by maxlange
    today I noticed User 593786 was in 8 different rating sections of the banded closed Sicilian tournaments. what happens here when this occurs?.. . and ruling against this?
    As you are a newcomer you should be aware of certain unethical practices that go on on the site.
    A practice commonly known as "sandbagging" can sometimes be seen where players lower their rating by losing games deliberately, either to look weaker than they are for clan games or to enter lower banded tournaments where they obviously have an advantage.
  4. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 13:47
    I didn't like to mention the 'S' word, or its implications, but you are not wrong.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 15:57
    thank you for your replies,

I have seen some suspicious sandbagging in real life, so I had to wonder if such a thing exists here too. thanks for letting me in.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 11:17
    HAs anybody tried to contact the user in question? I found that some people just don't think about the unfairness they create when enetering a low-rated tournament.

Before anybody asks: Yes there are sandbaggers.
    And I don't think it would be an admins nightmare if the computer would check the Tournament entry ratig of all entered players just before starting a tournament or even nightly.

Cheers
  7. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 12:04
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    ... And I don't think it would be an admins nightmare if the computer would check the Tournament entry ratig of all entered players just before starting a tournament or even nightly...
    I'm not so sure. I've just started a tournament with a banding of 1350-1550. There are 32 players. Of those, 14 are now outside the banding limits. If they had been chucked out just before the tournament started, we would have had to look for replacements. And then there would have been another check before the tournament started. And we would almost certainly have chucked out more players. When would it ever have started for real? The situation would be even worse for a tournament with a narrower band limit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree