Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 26 Jul '08 15:07
    If you keep a mouse on some flag for a little time, it shows some kind of number. For example US has 840, UK 826, Estonia 233. etc.
    What do these numbers mean?
  2. 26 Jul '08 15:37
    Originally posted by taadi31
    If you keep a mouse on some flag for a little time, it shows some kind of number. For example US has 840, UK 826, Estonia 233. etc.
    I don't know, but a reasonable guess is the number of subscribers from that nation? There are 19,000 or so active subscribers, so I would expect 20% to be from the US/UK, although not so many Estonians!!
    Until someone sets me straight, that is as good a theory as any?

Let me test it by checking out Andorra...stand by.....
  3. 26 Jul '08 15:43
    Originally posted by Policestate
    I don't know, but a reasonable guess is the number of subscribers from that nation? There are 19,000 or so active subscribers, so I would expect 20% to be from the US/UK, although not so many Estonians!!

Hmmm. My own theory doesn't convince me. Hell of a lot of players from Mozambique if it is true. And as there are just short of 200 countries, this would mean an average of 95 from each, and I haven't found a country with fewer than 250 yet!

So I will hand over to someone with knowledge....
  4. 26 Jul '08 15:46

Check the flags at http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=flags

Hover your mouse and you see that Aruba has more than ten times more than Argentine... something fishy here.

I just think that it is a flag number, a database key, used to access the flag database.
  5. 26 Jul '08 19:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Check the flags at http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=flags

Hover your mouse and you see that Aruba has more than ten times more than Argentine... something fishy here.

I just think that it is a flag number, a database key, used to access the flag database.
    I agree with FF. All the flags have to have a unique identifyer of some kind or we'd all have the same flag. (I guess)

Btw, if you were using Firefox and moused over a flag it would tell you the country and not the number.
  6. Subscriber Helder Octavio
    Luso-brasileiro
    26 Jul '08 20:53 / 2 edits
    The flags are in alphabetical order, in english.

See the hyperlinks Site Map (bottom of the page), Flag index (middle left); the countries are in alphabetical order, in English. The 1st country is Afghanistan, the country nr. 4.
  7. 27 Jul '08 00:39
    Originally posted by taadi31
    I never noticed that before! Policestate's answer makes sense.
  8. 27 Jul '08 04:21
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    tPolicestate's answer makes sense.
    Which one?
    His first answer or the 2nd one where he disagrees with it?
  9. 27 Jul '08 09:31
    these are ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 3-digit country codes corresponding to 3-alpha codes... like GBR = 826, EST = 233, USA = 840 etc.... widely used by different industries/businesses
  10. 27 Jul '08 09:49
    Originally posted by Renars
    these are ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 3-digit country codes corresponding to 3-alpha codes... like GBR = 826, EST = 233, USA = 840 etc.... widely used by different industries/businesses
    You're the cleverest Emu I ever knew.

I have learnt something today.
  11. 27 Jul '08 10:01
    You're the cleverest Emu I ever knew.

I have learnt something today.
    well, just happen to use them professionally myself and I'm an ostrich, btw
  12. 27 Jul '08 20:19
    Originally posted by Renars
    well, just happen to use them professionally myself and I'm an ostrich, btw
    A talking Ostrich. Surely you are missing a trick working in industry.

You could make millions.