Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member Zonko The Sane
    King of Insomnia
    14 Jun '07 18:30
    Could somebody please explain in-depth the rules of pawn promotion, and how it is carried out.
  2. 14 Jun '07 18:37
    OK, when one of ure pawns goes at the end of the board, you can changee it for any piece (except: king or keep it in a pawn). Is there something else you want to know?
  3. 14 Jun '07 19:21
    Originally posted by Zonko The Sane
    Could somebody please explain in-depth the rules of pawn promotion, and how it is carried out.
    As explained above. As for some tips, you should always promote to a queen in 99.9% of circumstances as she is most powerful. Dont worry about the exceptions to this suggestion as they are staggeringly rare.
    Secondly, you actually do it by advancing the pawn to the 8th rank (last row). At this point it instantly becomes the queen (or other piece). On this site you must move the pawn, click submit and only then does it give you the chance to select the piece you want.
    Lastly, in games between good players, pawn promotions are rare. However, you can use the THREAT of promotion to turn the game in your favour. For example, your opponent will have to try and block the threat which will throw them off balance, and eventually may have to sacrifice a piece to take out the pawn. You can then think of it not as a lost queen, but a piece gained. It was only a pawn remember!
    Good luck
  4. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    14 Jun '07 20:20
    Originally posted by Policestate
    As explained above. As for some tips, you should always promote to a queen in 99.9% of circumstances as she is most powerful. Dont worry about the exceptions to this suggestion as they are staggeringly rare.
    Crikey!

    I think you assume too high there. Sometimes you'll need to promote to a bishop/rook to avoid stalemate. Other times, you may need to promote to a knight to gain a tempo, possibly through check.

    As with all your other moves, take a few moments to weigh up the different options/find the pitfalls, and then make your move.

    D
  5. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    14 Jun '07 23:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Crikey!

    I think you assume too high there. Sometimes you'll need to promote to a bishop/rook to avoid stalemate. Other times, you may need to promote to a knight to gain a tempo, possibly through check.

    As with all your other moves, take a few moments to weigh up the different options/find the pitfalls, and then make your move.

    D
    Well, yeah, but for a guy who is trying to learn what a pawn promotion is, you've got to admit, that's probably staggeringly rare, and only confuses the matter, so his description was pretty good, don't you think?
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    14 Jun '07 23:50
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Well, yeah, but for a guy who is trying to learn what a pawn promotion is, you've got to admit, that's probably staggeringly rare, and only confuses the matter, so his description was pretty good, don't you think?
    No... don't tell someone 99.9 percent of the time. They might run into a stalemate, or miss a fantastic mate with a knight. Telling someone they will probably do it all the time won't make them consider the strongest moves.

    P-
  7. Standard member Zonko The Sane
    King of Insomnia
    15 Jun '07 15:48
    Thanks everyone, you've helped, but can you perform a pawn promotion after an en-passent move?
  8. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    15 Jun '07 16:06
    Originally posted by Zonko The Sane
    Thanks everyone, you've helped, but can you perform a pawn promotion after an en-passent move?
    Any pawn that makes it across the board can be promoted. There is nothing else it could do.

    P-
  9. 22 Jun '07 16:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No... don't tell someone 99.9 percent of the time. They might run into a stalemate, or miss a fantastic mate with a knight. Telling someone they will probably do it all the time won't make them consider the strongest moves.

    P-
    Obviously you are correct. But never overload someone learning a new concept with the exceptions, until they understand the rule.
    Pawn promotions leading to stalemate, and pawn promotions to knight, which result in simultanous checkmate, are hardly the 'bread and butter' of pawn promotions now are they?!
    The guy wanted to know what to do, not everything on the subject.

    Teaching someone openings for the first time, you wouldn't include a lesson on why not to block the c-pawn in queen pawns openings until your tutee understood the basic guidelines now would you?
  10. 22 Jun '07 16:47
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Obviously you are correct. But never overload someone learning a new concept with the exceptions, until they understand the rule.
    Pawn promotions leading to stalemate, and pawn promotions to knight, which result in simultanous checkmate, are hardly the 'bread and butter' of pawn promotions now are they?!
    The guy wanted to know what to do, not everythin ...[text shortened]... wn in queen pawns openings until your tutee understood the basic guidelines now would you?
    ...and can I sound any more patronising????
  11. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    22 Jun '07 17:17
    Originally posted by Policestate
    ...and can I sound any more patronising????
    Sure this question was asked by a low rated player, but the answers will be read by several players. There is also nothing wrong with letting a low rated player know to 'beware of' or 'look for' these situations.

    If we answer 99.9 percent of the time, eventually someone will blindly make that promotion that blows a won game.

    Oh, and it's spelled patronizing.

    P-
  12. 22 Jun '07 17:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Sure this question was asked by a low rated player, but the answers will be read by several players. There is also nothing wrong with letting a low rated player know to 'beware of' or 'look for' these situations.

    If we answer 99.9 percent of the time, eventually someone will blindly make that promotion that blows a won game.

    Oh, and it's spelled patronizing.

    P-
    Very good....very good.

    But humour aside i wont let this lie!

    99.9% of the time means only once in a thousand games will you promote to a knight with checkmate, or to give stalemate.
    I suspect I'm not far wrong. Neither have happened to me in a lifetime of playing (chess problems / puzzles aside) either as an unaware novice, or rather more aware club player (?)
  13. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    22 Jun '07 18:18
    Originally posted by Policestate
    99.9% of the time means only once in a thousand games will you promote to a knight with checkmate, or to give stalemate.
    Game 2890364
    Game 1086815

    D
  14. 22 Jun '07 19:07
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Game 2890364
    Game 1086815

    D
    I like both of these. Very elegant.
    However I was well aware before this debate of the possibilities surrounding non-standard pawn promotions.
    Neither of these are knight promotions with checkmate, although one forces it very elegantly. In both cases to promote to a queen (following my generalised advice) also gives a winning game, the promotion to knight is just more accurate.
    And on a site where hundreds of thousands of games are played out, then by my own analysis, there will be a few dozen of these exceptions of course.
    Now I am going out, as this is like arguing about which is the 'best colour' !
  15. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    22 Jun '07 19:13
    Originally posted by Policestate
    this is like arguing about which is the 'best colour' !
    Blue!

    ; D