Playing like a gentleman

Playing like a gentleman

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Columbia Station

Moves
07 Jul 12

I recently lost a game due to the fact my opponent was attempting to create a draw. The opponent was trapped and kept moving back and forth to prevent checkmate so I made a different move and to my surprise allowed the opponent to eventually checkmate me. I had a lot more pieces and the advantage till that happened.

Should I have allowed a draw to happen or should my opponent have resigned? Was my moving to prevent the draw the right thing to do even though it eventually caused my demise?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
07 Jul 12

Chess isn't always about "Playing like a gentleman", and I'll bet that many of the ladies who play here will agree!

However, it has been my experience that a highly competitive player will play to win, and if that isn't going to happen they will try for a draw. They are hoping that you will make a mistake. If it becomes obvious that you aren't going to make a mistake, they might eventually resign. But they don't have to.

What did you need help with, anyway? 🙂

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
07 Jul 12
1 edit

Similar question came up a few weeks ago.

Thread 147280

Imho every player should fight to get the best result they can from any game. And since under RHP scoring 1>0, a draw by repetition could be a result to be proud of.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Sep 12

Originally posted by Chomauk
I recently lost a game due to the fact my opponent was attempting to create a draw. The opponent was trapped and kept moving back and forth to prevent checkmate so I made a different move and to my surprise allowed the opponent to eventually checkmate me. I had a lot more pieces and the advantage till that happened.

Should I have allowed a draw to hap ...[text shortened]... my moving to prevent the draw the right thing to do even though it eventually caused my demise?
To summarize your post:

My opponent did not want to lose so played to draw,
I did not want a draw so played to lose.

I had more pieces and was winning until I lost.

😀