Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 16 Nov '05 01:51
    Hey, does anybody have any idea of what points are assigned to the pieces on RHP?
    My current understanding is that pawns are 1 point, bishops are 3 points, knights are 4 points, castles are 3 points, and queens are 6 points. Is this the same on RHP?
    Also, whenever you win a game, do you receive the points of all the other player's pieces that you've taken, or the one's that are left on the board? How can you keep track of how many points you are on at any one time?
    Any help regarding this would be much appreciated.
  2. 16 Nov '05 02:04 / 1 edit
    pawn=1 point
    knight=2.8 pts
    bishop=3 points
    rook=5 points
    queen=9 points

    and this score doesnt matter it is not material that wins
    it is possition material advantage just helps alot USUALLY lol
  3. 16 Nov '05 02:24
    okay.
    what about in the event of a draw? surely the points would count for something THEN?
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    16 Nov '05 05:30
    Originally posted by Bromage
    okay.
    what about in the event of a draw? surely the points would count for something THEN?
    No. They are only guidelines for use when playing the game (to determine whether an asymetrical trade is worthwhile).

    When a chess game is a draw (for any reason; stalemate, insufficent mating material, repetition of position or agreement) it's drawn. There is no countup. This isn't Warhammer.

    Also the standard points as most players know them count both Bishops and Knights as 3 points, Rooks as 5, pawns as 1 and the Queen as 9.
  5. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    16 Nov '05 21:50
    It's always a good idea to learn the rules of chess. Your reward will be nothing less than the ability to play it.
  6. 16 Nov '05 23:20
    Cool. thanks for that. was just making sure rules werent different onRHP than what im used to in real life.
    By the way Bowmann, Im not such a bad chess player myself. i wouldn't be too quick to assume that ur any better than me. keep ur smartarse comments to yourself.
  7. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    17 Nov '05 00:30
    Originally posted by Bromage
    Cool. thanks for that. was just making sure rules werent different onRHP than what im used to in real life.
    By the way Bowmann, Im not such a bad chess player myself. i wouldn't be too quick to assume that ur any better than me. keep ur smartarse comments to yourself.
    Real life?

    Oh, I'm most definitely sure I'm the better player. I know the rules.
  8. 17 Nov '05 00:50
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    No. They are only guidelines for use when playing the game (to determine whether an asymetrical trade is worthwhile).

    When a chess game is a draw (for any reason; stalemate, insufficent mating material, repetition of position or agreement) it's drawn. There is no countup. This isn't Warhammer.

    Also the standard points as most players know them count both Bishops and Knights as 3 points, Rooks as 5, pawns as 1 and the Queen as 9.
    like usual it depends on who you ask whether bishops or knights are the better piece also it depends on the possition
    generally the bishop being the more mobile and covering more potential squares than the knight, is considered slightly better.unless you ask many russian theologians who favour the knight because it isnt bound down to one coloured square so i like xanthos comment it IS a much simpler way to look at things

    and like i said points do not count for anything
    "i was a rook and 2 pawns up on him and i got mated"
    i have heard this a million times lol
  9. 17 Nov '05 02:59
    Hey Bowman: in case you didn't know already you ignorant bastard, rules change depending on the type of competition you might be playing in. I'm sure a pseudo-intellect such as yourself would like to think that whatever your opinion is concerning rules of chess is always going to be right, but sooner or later your'e going to find yourself in a circle where those rules aren't appropriate. I'm convinced your'e not someone who would be open-minded enough to make sure that you are going to be playing according to rules that might be slightly different to what you're familiar with, rather you would predictably stick to your guns and tell everyone else that THEY'RE wrong, as well as belittle those who do have the courage to ask for confirmation on what they already know.
    I've been playing chess for years. I'd kick your arse any day of the week. Challenge me any time.
  10. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    17 Nov '05 04:36
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    like usual it depends on who you ask whether bishops or knights are the better piece also it depends on the possition
    generally the bishop being the more mobile and covering more potential squares than the knight, is considered slightly better.unless you ask many russian theologians who favour the knight because it isnt bound down to one coloured square ...[text shortened]... g
    "i was a rook and 2 pawns up on him and i got mated"
    i have heard this a million times lol
    And he wanted a simple answer.
  11. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    17 Nov '05 10:21
    Originally posted by Bromage
    okay.
    what about in the event of a draw? surely the points would count for something THEN?
    Seeing as you were just clarifying the rules of the site in this thread, could you let me know what competitions you've played in where the points of the remaining pieces are taken into account at the end of the game.

    Cheers,

    D
  12. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    17 Nov '05 10:30
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    pawn=1 point
    knight=2.8 pts
    bishop=3 points
    rook=5 points
    queen=9 points

    and this score doesnt matter it is not material that wins
    it is possition material advantage just helps alot USUALLY lol
    i just got my old set out and checked:

    pawns - no points,
    knights -1 point (the ears are combined to make a single point in my old chess set)
    bishop -none
    rook -8 points (each of the four battlements has two corners)
    queen - 10 points (9 on the rim of the crown and one in the centre)
    king - 9 points (all from the ornamented cross on top of his crown)
  13. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    17 Nov '05 10:33
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i just got my old set out and checked:

    pawns - no points,
    knights -1 point (the ears are combined to make a single point in my old chess set)
    bishop -none
    rook -8 points (each of the four battlements has two corners)
    queen - 10 points (9 on the rim of the crown and one in the centre)
    king - 9 points (all from the ornamented cross on top of his crown)
    Watch it Buddy.

    Originally posted by Russ
    From today I will be removing unhelpful posts and issuing forum bans for deliberately misleading posts. No explanations will be sent.
  14. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    17 Nov '05 10:49 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Watch it Buddy.

    Originally posted by Russ
    [b]From today I will be removing unhelpful posts and issuing forum bans for deliberately misleading posts. No explanations will be sent.
    [/b]
    ok ok ...

    pawn 0.9 (passed pawns 0.05 more per square advanced towards queening square, backward pawns 0.2 less)
    knight 2.8 (0.4 more if 6 of the 8 central pawns are still on the board, -0.2 if in a home corner, +0.5 on kb6)
    bishop 2.9 (3.2 if part of a bishop pair)
    rook 5.2
    queen fluctuatres wildly ... around 8 or 9 or 10 (depending largely on acces to the enemy king)
    king 100 (king needs to be more valuable than the sum of all the others)
  15. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    17 Nov '05 10:52
    Originally posted by flexmore
    ok ok ...

    pawn 0.9 (passed pawns 0.05 more per square advanced towards queening square, backward pawns 0.2 less)
    knight 2.8 (0.4 more if 6 of the 8 central pawns are still on the board)
    bishop 2.9 (3.2 if part of a bishop pair)
    rook 5.2
    queen fluctuatres wildly ... around 8 or 9 or 10
    king 100 (king needs to be more valuable than the sum of all the others)
    King doesn't need any value, as it'll never be involved in an exchange.

    D