1. Joined
    29 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 19:03
    Hi all.

I've seen this several times in my games. After I make a move, I see the green squares showing the piece that just moved. (as expected)

Then after my opponent counters my move, I see his move as green squares and my previous move as purple shaded squares.

This has happened a handful of times, not consistent. I was just wondering what the purple shading on my previous move AFTER my opponent has countered signifies.

Thanks!
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 19:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    29 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 19:38
    HA!

Lol, just my luck!

Is this documented anywhere on this site? I would like to see it, thanks
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 22:27
    Originally posted by Minoritydan
    Hi all.

I've seen this several times in my games. After I make a move, I see the green squares showing the piece that just moved. (as expected)

Then after my opponent counters my move, I see his move as green squares and my previous move as purple shaded squares.

This has happened a handful of times, not consistent. I was just wondering what the purple shading on my previous move AFTER my opponent has countered signifies.

Thanks!
    What it sounds like is that you are making illegal moves.

When you do that, your opponents previous move is shown in green and your illegal attempt is shown in a reddy colour.

Try it. For example, try moving your light bishop to a dark square and see if that is what you are talking about.

D
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 22:02
    No, its not an illegal move.

The colored squares show up on my previous move.

I think its a questionable move, or a bad move as already mentioned
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 22:061 edit
    No, its not an illegal move.

The colored squares show up on my previous move.

I think its a questionable move, or a bad move as already mentioned
    Can u upload a pic of it?

Press print screen, open MS Paint, save the image as a .jpg, and upload it by going to www.imageshack.us

Cheers,

D

[EDIT] I can guarantee that it has nothing to do with the strength of your chess move. That was a joke.
  7. Joined
    29 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 May '08 19:495 edits
    Ok, I am sorry for not seeing that post years ago, lol. But here it happened again. I've had this happen several times. Not sure why my square is pink/purple.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Minoritydan/chess_bad_move.gif
  8. Standard memberjockmcgee
    Ganbei!
    Not in lecture
    Moves
    09 May '08 21:41
    Hi all.

Thanks!
    I'm not really adding anything to this, but it's happened to me too. No idea why, though...
  9. USA
    Moves
    09 May '08 22:39
    Ok, I am sorry for not seeing that post years ago, lol. But here it happened again. I've had this happen several times. Not sure why my square is pink/purple.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Minoritydan/chess_bad_move.gif
    I thought the color was red, not purple, but that only happens when an illegal move is played, so I don't really know what's going on there...
  10. Standard memberBedingbedang
    commente moi donc ça
    Montreal
    Moves
    10 May '08 05:28
    The colour is the same as for illegal moves...weird.

Maybe your opponent is one of the few testing the beta for conditional moves? That could explain why it's showing more than one move at the same time, your opponent needs to see both moves to understand wether the conditional move went ahead or not, so that would makes sense (not sure why both players would see 2 moves tough, only the one using the conditional moves features needs it).
    It would also explain why it's not there all the time.

When it did happen, do you remember if your opponents took a lot of time before playing or did they reply almost instantly?
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    10 May '08 10:561 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. The sky
    Moves
    10 May '08 11:31
    Originally posted by Bedingbedang
    Maybe your opponent is one of the few testing the beta for conditional moves? That could explain why it's showing more than one move at the same time, your opponent needs to see both moves to understand wether the conditional move went ahead or not, so that would makes sense (not sure why both players would see 2 moves tough, only the one using the conditional moves features needs it).
    No, played conditional moves aren't marked in any way (not for the person playing the conditional move in any case).
  13. The sky
    Moves
    10 May '08 11:34
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You can't even try to move when it's not your turn, so I can't see how that would happen.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    10 May '08 14:46
    Originally posted by Bedingbedang
    The colour is the same as for illegal moves...weird.

Maybe your opponent is one of the few testing the beta for conditional moves? That could explain why it's showing more than one move at the same time, your opponent needs to see both moves to understand wether the conditional move went ahead or not, so that would makes sense (not sure why both pla ...[text shortened]... member if your opponents took a lot of time before playing or did they reply almost instantly?
    Conditional moves in 2006?
    I don't think so. 😕
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 May '08 16:21
    Now it happened for me too.

I made my move. The squares involved turned purple. But my opponent made a move in the same instant. This may be a conditional move made by him. (But I don't see his name in the Beta test crew. Is it not a beta any more? Can all of us use conditional moves?)

But, strange things happens...

I am short in time, I just have one day left in my taimebank. When I did my move I was still gnawing on my time bank. I would expect that my usual thinking time would kick in, but no.

Then I made my nest move, perhaps one that couldn't be forseen by him, and there was no purple squears, and my thinking time kicked in, as expected.

So my solution is -
    Conditional moves are in use.
    There is a bug somwhere in the process.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree