Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 04 Jun '06 16:56
    Hi there,

    I am currently a member of Chessworld.net, a similar site to RHP, but I am increasingly dissatisfied with the stuffy, patronising, censorius, over-sensitive and conservative nature of the fora there (where I have been an active poster.) I am therefore thinking of leaving there for here.

    Would anyone like to help me make that decision? I have a few issues first,

    - on chessworld.net I'm usually rated around 2150-2250, FICS around 1850-1950, ICC 2000-2200. What is the equivalent standard around here, could I get a few games with an appropriate opponent, please?

    - I've skim read some of the forum posts here, but there seems to be the opposite problem to chessworld - too much abuse and lots of talk of spamming (Stang or someone?) Could someone direct me to some good threads to read? Both chess and non-chess ones?

    - is it possible to create thematic tournaments here?

    Thanks
    Tom.
  2. 04 Jun '06 16:59 / 1 edit
    Why don't you just start playing instead of asking for advice? I hope you aren't as indecisive as this in your games.

    PS Welcome to the site.
  3. 04 Jun '06 17:02
    Originally posted by Jack Gable
    Why don't you just start playing instead of asking for advice? I hope you aren't as indecisive as this in your games.

    PS Welcome to the site.
    Thanks, I have already started playing and am waiting for my opponents to move.
  4. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    04 Jun '06 19:27
    Originally posted by TommyC
    - on chessworld.net I'm usually rated around 2150-2250, FICS around 1850-1950, ICC 2000-2200. What is the equivalent standard around here, could I get a few games with an appropriate opponent, please?

    - I've skim read some of the forum posts here, but there seems to be the opposite problem to chessworld - too much abuse and lots of talk of spamming (Stang ...[text shortened]... ead? Both chess and non-chess ones?

    - is it possible to create thematic tournaments here?
    Answers, respectivaly:
    - Pass
    - People up here can somewhat say what they want, just as long as you don't use too many naughty words. The thing you cannot discuss is computer abuse linked to a name, or help out people on games in progress. All the rest is fine.
    - Yes, but you have to request them. Usually it will be granted, if I am informed correctly.
  5. 04 Jun '06 19:50
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Answers, respectivaly:
    - Pass
    - People up here can somewhat say what they want, just as long as you don't use too many naughty words. The thing you cannot discuss is computer abuse linked to a name, or help out people on games in progress. All the rest is fine.
    - Yes, but you have to request them. Usually it will be granted, if I am informed correctly.
    Thank you Aiko, that's useful.

    I'd still be curious as to which are the best threads, incidentally. When I click on the "Recommended" button I get: "Sorry, the recommended posts of the week are currently not available." Maybe they're archived somewhere?!
  6. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    04 Jun '06 19:52
    Nope. Just unavailable for a while. Has been for two weeks now.
    But it isn't all that important. You don't miss out on much.
  7. Subscriber Mctayto
    Highlander
    05 Jun '06 08:17
    Chessworld ratings are 200 higher than here so 2100 there is approx. 1900 here
  8. 05 Jun '06 10:11
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Chessworld ratings are 200 higher than here so 2100 there is approx. 1900 here
    Thanks.