stalemate

stalemate

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr

Chiltern Hills

Moves
21 Jun 14

what is it?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jun 14
1 edit

Stalemate is a situation in the game of chess where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal move. The rules of chess provide that when stalemate occurs, the game ends as a draw.

K

Moves
24 Jun 14
2 edits

Originally posted by lordylordy
what is it?
Lor,
Forcing of stalemate can save you from losing a game though, if you are in such a predicament. In such a case, definitely use it. Of course, your opponent may use it on you too.

Moves
14 Jul 14

so how do you claim a stalemate? I am attempting to "claim draw" and hit Submit and nothing happens. May be a bug. any advice? thanks

RHP Member No.16

Moves
14 Jul 14

Originally posted by JKRock
so how do you claim a stalemate? I am attempting to "claim draw" and hit Submit and nothing happens. May be a bug. any advice? thanks
When it is achieved it is automatically announced and the game is over since one player can no longer make any legal move but also is not checkmated.

Stalemate is recognized and declared by the game software. It results in a drawn game but is not a "claimed draw".