Tips for finding games

Tips for finding games

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H

San Diego

Moves
13 Jun 07
1 edit

Any recommendations for finding games? I'm pretty picky about opponents, so it seems to take me a long time to find "just the right one." I'm looking for players who are active and not too far from my rating. I know how to search by rating and view profiles, but it's tedious. I also am looking for a certain range of move times and time banks (i.e. usually 3-day move, 14-day timeout preferred, but OK with 7 if not too busy or 21). If I just look at invites, they often don't fit what I'm looking for, and it takes time to do the research, and often the invite goes away within a few short minutes anyway.

What techniques do you use?

Also, I'm considering becoming a member. The tournaments look fun. That would help solve the problem of finding games, because I would just have to search for tournaments that fit my style. Could I keep a fair number of games going (about 6-12) just by playing in tournaments? Thanks for your advice.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by HolyT
Any recommendations for finding games? I'm pretty picky about opponents, so it seems to take me a long time to find "just the right one." I'm looking for players who are active and not too far from my rating. I know how to search by rating and view profiles, but it's tedious. I also am looking for a certain range of move times and time banks (i.e. usually ...[text shortened]... ber of games going (about 6-12) just by playing in tournaments? Thanks for your advice.
Start your own Open invite. You can set the timer, color, and rating limits.

After that, once someone accepts you can look through their games, and check other info and you can resign if you don't want to play them and it doesn't cost you anything.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by RahimK
Start your own Open invite. You can set the timer, color, and rating limits.

After that, once someone accepts you can look through their games, and check other info and you can resign if you don't want to play them and it doesn't cost you anything.
He's provisionally rated so doesn't have advanced options.

HolyT, you haven't even got a rating yet, so how do you know what leverl is appropriate to play? I'd say just play anybody for now, and see what rating you get.

Also, instead of resigning games, you can just bin them (before 2 moves) so that you don't affect your win/loss ratio.

D

F

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
He's provisionally rated so doesn't have advanced options.

HolyT, you haven't even got a rating yet, so how do you know what leverl is appropriate to play? I'd say just play anybody for now, and see what rating you get.

Also, instead of resigning games, you can just bin them (before 2 moves) so that you don't affect your win/loss ratio.

D
That's the reason I never use "Open Invites". People accepting the game, play one move, then deleting it when they find I have too high rating, too low rating, doesn't go inte their favourite opening, or any other reason they feel doesn't fit them.

I rather use "Player Table" to find a player with the qualities I want, writing them a nice letter and hope they want to have a play with me. Works pretty well.

H

San Diego

Moves
13 Jun 07

That's a good tip about the open invites. I didn't realize that they go to everyone if you want. I'd hate to trash a game when someone accepts, but I guess that technique does work. I could check out a player for other details AFTER the player accepts. I do seem to have the option despite my provisional rating; maybe more options open up after 20 games.

Any thoughts on the second question, whether I could "get by" with tournaments only? Thanks again.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Jun 07

Any thoughts on the second question, whether I could "get by" with tournaments only? Thanks again.
You could have 100's of games just from tournaments.

D

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
13 Jun 07

That's a good tip about the open invites. I didn't realize that they go to everyone if you want. I'd hate to trash a game when someone accepts, but I guess that technique does work. I could check out a player for other details AFTER the player accepts. I do seem to have the option despite my provisional rating; maybe more options open up after 20 games.
...[text shortened]... ghts on the second question, whether I could "get by" with tournaments only? Thanks again.
If you're looking for 6-12 consistent games from tourneys, you might find that hard to do. You need to check what kind of tourneys they are carefully, I woke up to 36 games one day from a tournament.

Also, when you finish your round of a tourney you might be waiting some time for the next round to start, many players may be playing slower than you.

If you can somehow maintain 6-12 games constant playing only tourneys, be sure to post how you pulled it off.

P-

N

The sky

Moves
13 Jun 07

Also, I'm considering becoming a member. The tournaments look fun. That would help solve the problem of finding games, because I would just have to search for tournaments that fit my style. Could I keep a fair number of games going (about 6-12) just by playing in tournaments? Thanks for your advice.
I think a clan may be a better option to achieve what you want. It's easier to control the number of games that way (if you have a capable clan leader who is fine with the number of games you want to play), and you'll usually get opponents around your own rating (if you play tournaments, that's only the case in banded tournaments or by chance). I use clan challenges and some personal challenges to maintain a quite steady number of games, and then I occasionally add a tournament if I am especially interested (at the moment I am playing in two thematic tournaments).

H

San Diego

Moves
19 Jun 07

Thanks, Nordlys. I notice that you are affiliated with 4 clans. I thought I read somewhere that there is a limit of 3, but then I just reviewed the Help link about clans and it doesn't say that. I guess I was mistaken. Is there a limit?