1. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 17:15
    Twice now I have been unable to connect to the redhotpawn site. This has lasted for approximately 2-3 weeks and then suddenly I can connect again. As a consequence my opponents have claimed wins on timeout - which I fully understand (there is nothing worse than starting a game and then suddenly your opponent doesn't move for no apprent reason - even though you send him reminders).
    Does anyone else ever experience this problem.
    Does anyone know what the cause is.
    I don't think it is fair to start anymore games until I can be sure that I won't have this problem again.
    Any suggestions of help would be gratefully received.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 20:59
    Do you mean you are unable to login? Please give more details. Thanks

-Russ
  3. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 09:17
    Hello Russ. Yes I have been unable to login to the rhp site. However the strange thing is that I have had no difficulty in logging into any other website (only the rhp site seems to be affected). So I have got no idea what the problem is.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 10:13
    Originally posted by derts
    Hello Russ. Yes I have been unable to login to the rhp site. However the strange thing is that I have had no difficulty in logging into any other website (only the rhp site seems to be affected). So I have got no idea what the problem is.
    I think Russ meant that he needed you to clarify, whether you can't connect to RHP OR after connecting, you can't log in.

If you play in work/school, then they may have redhotpawn firewalled. Try timeforchess.com or chessatwork.com.

D
  5. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 11:18
    Sorry for the confusion. I have been unable to connect to the rhp site. My computer had been trying to connect but would fail saying that it has been unable to find the rhp site. I am playing from home. I have changed none of my computer settings before or after these 2 occurances and as I said before I have no problem connecting to all other websites. I tried different sites to try and access rhp but with no success. However suddenly after weeks of not being able to connect I found connection was possible. - This has been a very frustrating time.
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 20:04
    Originally posted by derts
    Sorry for the confusion. I have been unable to connect to the rhp site. My computer had been trying to connect but would fail saying that it has been unable to find the rhp site. I am playing from home. I have changed none of my computer settings before or after these 2 occurances and as I said before I have no problem connecting to all other websites. I tried ...[text shortened]... being able to connect I found connection was possible. - This has been a very frustrating time.
    If your browser says it cannot find the site then it sounds like you may have DNS problem.
    What are your DNS settings, maybe you could add and refer to a different tertiary server for instances when this happens?
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 01:111 edit
    Originally posted by Jack Gable
    If your browser says it cannot find the site then it sounds like you may have DNS problem.
    What are your DNS settings, maybe you could add and refer to a different tertiary server for instances when this happens?
    All stop. The problem could be that you are using a desktop shortcut to access RHP. With the recent server change that shortcut string changed. The timing is just too coincidental.

Load RHP.com manually, go to your games page, load your preferences and overwrite the favourites string if IE is your browser.

skeeter

PS re-post if that didn't help.
  8. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 09:50
    Originally posted by skeeter
    All stop. The problem could be that you are using a desktop shortcut to access RHP. With the recent server change that shortcut string changed. The timing is just too coincidental.

Load RHP.com manually, go to your games page, load your preferences and overwrite the favourites string if IE is your browser.

skeeter

PS re-post if that didn't help.
    But "However suddenly after weeks of not being able to connect I found connection was possible."

So either the problem is now fully resolved or this is a DNS problem.
  9. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 12:16
    Thank you for all of this advice. Hopefully I won't experience this problem again. But if I do I'll give your suggestions a go. Thanks.
  10. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 00:48
    its more than likely your firewall settings if like me you use to block anyone that pinged your pc that you didnt know you ended up not being able to connect to alot of servers.

So check your firewall settings if it happens again

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree