02 May '07 05:58
    What's the point?
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 May '07 11:141 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    What's the point?
    Also, if someone moves while they are allegedly on vacation, their flag should be removed forthwith as they have demonstrated that they are able to move but are abusing the system!

I have checked around and it seems this is the ONLY site that gives subscribers this additional game advantage against non-subscribers. Maybe there are others but I haven't found them yet.
    Even gameknot arghhhh!!!!!!
  3. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    02 May '07 11:29
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Also, if someone moves while they are allegedly on vacation, their flag should be removed forthwith
    This has come up before. It would defeat the intention of the new system for those who are *not* abusing it.

Eg Player X goes on holiday for 14 days and puts the flag up for 16 days; on return he has 2 days in which to catch up on all the games which would otherwise be timed out. This wouldn't be possible if the flag was removed by the system as soon as he made the first move.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 May '07 11:48
    Originally posted by John of Reading

Eg Player X goes on holiday for 14 days and puts the flag up for 16 days; on return he has 2 days in which to catch up on all the games which would otherwise be timed out. This wouldn't be possible if the flag was removed by the system as soon as he made the first move.
    Well, that just seems to confirm that people are using it as a timebank extender and nothing else.
    Either they can move or they can't, surely?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 May '07 22:08
    Also, if someone moves while they are allegedly on vacation, their flag should be removed forthwith as they have demonstrated that they are able to move but are abusing the system!

I have checked around and it seems this is the ONLY site that gives subscribers this additional game advantage against non-subscribers. Maybe there are others but I haven't found them yet.
    Even gameknot arghhhh!!!!!!
    Exactly!

If you really can't make the moves then find or if something comes up. But moving in some games and not others is wrong.

Perhaps non-subs should stop playing subs? Hahah, lots of opposite threads on that subject.

What do you mean, RHP is the only site? Gameknot is a different site right and not related to Rhp, Time for chess, Chess at work and whatever other names Rhp has.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 May '07 22:08
    Well, that just seems to confirm that people are using it as a timebank extender and nothing else.
    Either they can move or they can't, surely?
    You preach it!
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 May '07 23:37

What do you mean, RHP is the only site? Gameknot is a different site right and not related to Rhp, Time for chess, Chess at work and whatever other names Rhp has.
    All the different variations of this site I refer to as RHP.

No other chess site I know of [and I admit I don't know that many] discriminates so badly in giving subscribers longer than non-subscribers to make a move.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '07 03:55
    All the different variations of this site I refer to as RHP.

No other chess site I know of [and I admit I don't know that many] discriminates so badly in giving subscribers longer than non-subscribers to make a move.
    That's true but I take comfort in the fact that while on vacation their timebank is running for all the games and once it's over, and vacation is up, they can get massive flagging.

Although in away, they do get 36 extra days guaranteed. O well what can you do.

Hey, Hey. Should K-Fed get alomony? Funny ads...

You just won a labtop, click here. Ya right 🙂
  9. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:39
    That's true but I take comfort in the fact that while on vacation their timebank is running for all the games and once it's over, and vacation is up, they can get massive flagging.

Although in away, they do get 36 extra days guaranteed. O well what can you do.

Hey, Hey. Should K-Fed get alomony? Funny ads...

You just won a labtop, click here. Ya right 🙂
    We (subs) don't get an extra 36 days. It seems that way, but in effect it is lower because the timeout and timebank still are ticking when on holiday.

For example, when I play a game with 3 days timeout and 14 days timebank and move just before I go on a two week holiday. If my opponent moves immediately, then when I come back I have only 3 days of timebank left and the new vacation system didn't help in anyway.

So it only helps in siuations where my timebank actually goes to zero.

Of course in games with smaller values for timeout and timebank, I would benefit more.

And I could indeed abuse the system by scheduling a 1 day holiday when I need extra thinking time in a game where my timebank was already 0. But I don't know how to avoid this with the current system.

Adje
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '07 18:52
    Originally posted by adje
    We (subs) don't get an extra 36 days. It seems that way, but in effect it is lower because the timeout and timebank still are ticking when on holiday.

For example, when I play a game with 3 days timeout and 14 days timebank and move just before I go on a two week holiday. If my opponent moves immediately, then when I come back I have only 3 days of timebank ...[text shortened]... y timebank was already 0. But I don't know how to avoid this with the current system.

Adje
    If you abuse it you gotta do it properly like you mentioned:

Wait till the games you need more time in is at 0 almost timebank and then put up your vacation.

What I meant was that I take comfort in the fact that your timebank is running in your other games as well.

Of course you could just continue moving in all the other games as normal and get extra time for just that one game but then your vacation days would be sort of a waste.

All about ethics.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 May '07 19:31
    Originally posted by adje

And I could indeed abuse the system by scheduling a 1 day holiday when I need extra thinking time in a game where my timebank was already 0. But I don't know how to avoid this with the current system.

Adje
    To avoid that scenario, it could've been made a users choice per game. [particularly in open invites] 😠
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 May '07 21:02

!!
    No offense but that would defeat the point.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 May '07 23:45
    Originally posted by zebano
    No offense but that would defeat the point.
    I thought the point was to use the vacation system for when you had to be away - and not just when you were running short of time.
    Maybe I had it wrong - either way it sucks.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 May '07 01:03
    I thought the point was to use the vacation system for when you had to be away - and not just when you were running short of time.
    Maybe I had it wrong - either way it sucks.
    You go on vacation for 20 days and you'll arrive back to a bunch of games that could be timed out straight away if you don't move. So you move in them before your vacation finishes. If you can't move in your games while your vacation flag is up how do you not get timed out as soon as it finishes?
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 May '07 02:54
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You go on vacation for 20 days and you'll arrive back to a bunch of games that could be timed out straight away if you don't move. So you move in them before your vacation finishes. If you can't move in your games while your vacation flag is up how do you not get timed out as soon as it finishes?
    Yet another flaw that shows how crap the system is.

Good luck to all who use it - not me, no thanks!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree