1. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 14:32
    Hello:

me and my opponent (ivanuzz) have 1 knight and 1 king each. I have offered him draws multiple times as we both don't have mating material left, but he refuses to take it just so he wouldn't lose as many points taking a draw as the higher ranked person. What do I do here as I can't claiming a draw do a 1 scenerio checkmate. and he can just keep moving forever...
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 14:43
    Originally posted by Necojones
    Hello:

me and my opponent (ivanuzz) have 1 knight and 1 king each. I have offered him draws multiple times as we both don't have mating material left, but he refuses to take it just so he wouldn't lose as many points taking a draw as the higher ranked person. What do I do here as I can't claiming a draw do a 1 scenerio checkmate. and he can just keep moving forever...
    Seems like he has offered you a draw now.

If not, send him a link to "lack of material for mating" article. Otherwise you'll just have to wait for 50 moves before you can claim the draw.

D
  3. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 14:58
    Hello:

K+N vs K+N
    Mate is still possible.
  4. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:03
    Possible, 1 scenario only but not really going to happen at this level.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:05
    Click accept draw and it's done.

P-
  6. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:09
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Seems like he has offered you a draw now.

If not, send him a link to "lack of material for mating" article. Otherwise you'll just have to wait for 50 moves before you can claim the draw.

D
    Ya he offered it to me now after his ranking dropped making the draw not so bad and after I threatened to call abuse on him. I just think there should be some sort of punishment for those players who hold out there loses or draws, in hopes of the other player heightening their rankings. It takes away points for the real winner and is very unsportmanlike.
  7. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:13
    I never said that it would.
    The site (quite rightly) will not 'kick in' unless mate is impossible.
  8. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:17
    Ya he offered it to me now after his ranking dropped making the draw not so bad and after I threatened to call abuse on him. I just think there should be some sort of punishment for those players who hold out there loses or draws, in hopes of the other player heightening their rankings. It takes away points for the real winner and is very unsportmanlike.
    Threats are not allowed, rightly so.
    If you threaten someone for remaining within the rules and regulations.. it is you that should be punished.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:35
    You should have beaten them or forced a draw before the ratings changed. This is your problem, not theirs. They are welcome to play a game and take as long as they please within the time limits.

P-
  10. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 17:54
    Originally posted by English Tal
    If you threaten someone for remaining within the rules and regulations.. it is you that should be punished.
    lol. games are designed with rules for a purpose. If the players don't want to follow them, you say punish the people who remind them of that? That's like giving a referee a penatly for giving a penalty. You should think before you respond.
  11. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:00
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You should have beaten them or forced a draw before the ratings changed. This is your problem, not theirs. They are welcome to play a game and take as long as they please within the time limits.

P-
    Guess you've never had a player timeout on purpose just so he avoid dropping his ratings at that moment. whatever. tired of argue with people who don't understand manners within a game.
  12. UK
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:12
    Guess you've never had a player timeout on purpose just so he avoid dropping his ratings at that moment. whatever. tired of argue with people who don't understand manners within a game.
    Manners and rules are two different things.

Manners suggest that you might resign or accept a draw in a certain position.

The rules, however, do not impose such a restriction. They say that the player can take as much time as they have allocated to them to make a move.

You do not have to be possesed of good manners in order to follow the rules.

Nor, actually, is there any particular obligation to accept a draw offer. The rules allow you to play the game out even if it's tedious.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:15
    LOL! You speak of threats of punishment and rules being broke when none were.

Welcome to the Internet, good luck with your campaign for courtesy, etiquette, and manners... you'll need it!

P-
  14. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:30
    Originally posted by English Tal
    If someone deliberatly refuses to accept the draw and only keeps on moving because he hopes that the rating difference will get less and he loses less point, that in my opinion is sort of abuse.

In a tournament you can ask the referee to declare a draw. In the same manner the 'threat' was meant I think, so nothing to get upset about. No one spoke about punishment! He didn't threat anyone, he just said that he was going to send feedback. And that is allowed to everyone, rightly so.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:482 edits
    Originally posted by adje
    If someone deliberatly refuses to accept the draw and only keeps on moving because he hopes that the rating difference will get less and he loses less point, that in my opinion is sort of abuse.

In a tournament you can ask the referee to declare a draw. In the same manner the 'threat' was meant I think, so nothing to get upset about. No one spoke about punis he just said that he was going to send feedback. And that is allowed to everyone, rightly so.
    It has been talked about before and having 'Game Refs' really isn't much of an option for a site that generates hundreds of games a day. We're at the mercy of the software to decide when a game has gone 3 rep or 50 move rule.

We also are at the mercy of users to accept a draw in a game with inadequate mating material. If we have a problem with a user who won't accept, we can add them to our ignore list and not worry about playing them anymore. That's as close to a solution we can get I am afraid.

If I had gotten another 15 rating points in the 40th game I played here at RHP, would my rating be any different than it is now? Not by much, I am sure. I would have just lost more points in the next lost game, or gained fewer in the next won game. Rating is there to show others what level we play at, it's not a trophy.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree