Chess Ladder

Chess Ladder

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B

Moves
16 Aug 09

I think it would be good to introduce a new feature (Chess Ladder) to the site. This could be open to all subscribers regardless of rating. Each player on the ladder is allowed to challenge the person immediately above them, and can be challenged by the person below them. If you win you exchange places on the ladder. A draw gives no change. If you refuse a challenge then you automatically swap places on the ladder.🙂

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
17 Aug 09

seems harmless, why not give it a try? (the answer will probably be along the lines of programming technicalities and all that, but who knows, maybe)

F

Moves
17 Aug 09

Originally posted by Barnacles
I think it would be good to introduce a new feature (Chess Ladder) to the site. This could be open to all subscribers regardless of rating. Each player on the ladder is allowed to challenge the person immediately above them, and can be challenged by the person below them. If you win you exchange places on the ladder. A draw gives no change. If you refuse a challenge then you automatically swap places on the ladder.🙂
I give it a rec.

Here

Moves
17 Aug 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I give it a rec.
Ditto

IC

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by padger
Ditto
Mee2 😕

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by Ice Cold
Mee2 😕
It has been quite sometime since we introduced a new game "type", so I'll definitely consider this. No technical issues with this one!

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
21 Aug 09

Like the idea & rec'd

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
21 Aug 09

sounds like a fun idea
- recommended -

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
21 Aug 09

What happens when

player 8 challenges player 7
player 7 challenges player 6

and

Player 8 beats player 7 and the following day player 7 beats player 6.

You would then after the first win by player 8 the following positions

Player 6
Player 8
Player 7

After player 7 beats player 6 the positions become

Player 7
Player 6
Player 8

Poor player 8 is still in 8th place 🙁

If after multiple games you could end up with player 8 having worked their way up to 2nd place, challenges player 1 and then having suffered a few defeats in a row find themselves back in 5th place and then then beat player 1. Does player 1 then go into 5th place as they exchange places?

C

Moves
21 Aug 09

Here

Moves
21 Aug 09

Originally posted by adramforall
What happens when

player 8 challenges player 7
player 7 challenges player 6

and

Player 8 beats player 7 and the following day player 7 beats player 6.

You would then after the first win by player 8 the following positions

Player 6
Player 8
Player 7

After player 7 beats player 6 the positions become

Player 7
Player 6
Player ...[text shortened]... lace and then then beat player 1. Does player 1 then go into 5th place as they exchange places?
The answer to this would be that you can only play 1 challenge at a time
Therefore if player 8 challeges player 7 then player 7 cant challenge player 6
this would promote players to challenge the player above as soon as possible

R
The Blues Boy

Moves
24 Aug 09

Good idea

New York

Moves
25 Aug 09

I like this idea too. Rec'd.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
30 Aug 09

A great idea...however, if your challenged by the person below you,
their is no incentive for victory. A draw is better for the player above.

Perhaps a win, stops downward challenges for a certain time period.
A draw, and you can still be challenged.

A loss, and you lose your place.

suddenly a win becomes worthwhile, to stop challenges.
Especially if the amount of challenges is limited.

-GIN

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

The solution on chessladders.com is:

1 A player may challenge any other player up to 2 places higher.
2 Once a challenge has been made, neither the challenger nor the player who has been challenged can make or receive other challenges until the match has been played.
3 If the challenger wins the match, he or she will move to the place previously occupied by the player that was challenged. The player that was challenged and any players in between will each move down a place.

I think it is wise to allow challenges 2 places higher, or a player who has stopped playing will block the ladder.

The stipulation that being in a current challenge stops other challenges is wise to stop things getting too tangled up.