1. e4
    Moves
    11 Feb '24 17:39

It starts off with a poem by Betty and Veronica. from their own comic.
    (don’t groan I hate chess poems as much as everyone else but this is OK)

Then J. Crump - A. Holowczak, Birmingham Chess League, 2009

Black to play. You are losing so think like a swindler.

This weeks puzzle is;

White to play and win. I do not know (yet) the name of the composer.

The ‘Theme of the Week’ is ‘Knight Sac, Rook Sac and Queen Mates’ and
    actually starts with the first puzzle I add to it using a cluster of RHP games.

We end with a picture of a beer bottle (I get 20p back on the empties.)
    Blog Post 595
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    12 Feb '24 04:44
    J. Crump - A. Holowczak, Birmingham Chess League, 2009

I would have resigned as black (then team lost) and hopped on a bus to Timbuktu. I would have never found what black played OTB too much nerves.
  3. e4
    Moves
    12 Feb '24 17:101 edit
    Hi congruent,

You would have resigned! Maybe but possibly not because it is a well know fact
    that chess players facing a loss really dig in and think harder looking for and
    ready to clutch at any passing straw. Add in the player winning often relaxes
    and then you have all the ingredients for a swindle.

It is also a fact (well maybe not a fact but very common) for very good players
    to lose games quicker than average players. If White had played practically
    anything else in that game other than cxd7 Black admitted they would have resigned.

A good players and could see any 'sensible' move would lose the ending
    without a shred of counter play.

Because they are good enough to see it, they know delaying will only make it worse
    so they lash out in an effort to complicate things. Sometimes it works, sometimes
    not, and if not then a quick loss is one cards.

Average players are happy plodding along perhaps not realising they are losing
    and resign in the ending without their opponent breaking sweat. Then they think
    the fault is in their endgame play so off they go to study that when in fact
    the fault lay in their inability to spot a crisis and get tactical.
  4. Subscriberwyndavies
    Grand Duke
    Somewhere else
    Moves
    03 Mar '24 02:22
    Greenpawn34 - you should definately visit New York. The blue house just up from the church on Langrick Road, Lincoln, makes it worthwhile.
  5. e4
    Moves
    03 Mar '24 11:20
    Hi wyndavies,

I cannot say I'm not tempted to visit the blue house just up from the church on
    Langrick Road, Lincoln. But I am not sure why. Do I owe someone there money?
  6. Subscriberwyndavies
    Grand Duke
    Somewhere else
    Moves
    03 Mar '24 11:47
    Its the nicest looking house in all of New York.

New York, Lincoln reminds me of Moscow, East Ayrshire. There used to a sign saying "Welcome to Moscow" and if you looked up the road you could see a sign saying "You are now leaving Moscow". Unfortunately they've taken the signs down.
  7. e4
    Moves
    03 Mar '24 13:55
    Hi wyndavies

I'll see if I can sneak in a trip to Moscow, Ayrshire next time I'm in Kilmarnok. I'll play a game there and and then can always say I've played chess in Moscow.

I've popped back on to see if Big Dog has left any clues. I hate him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree