Anyone a Master of Physics?

Anyone a Master of Physics?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TANSTAAFL

Walking on sunshine

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by Ramned
The answer is 532 cm^3. turns out I missed it.

I do not know where to head now. I've got the physics part of it down, it's just the math, or so I think! How much ethanol must be added to get the new total density = to the object's density of 900 kg/m^3 (needs converted.)?

So initially, the object's volume can be found looking at the volume it displaces ...[text shortened]... ried it, and also my Physics professor tried it. We all got differing results! I'm stumped.
It's no surprise you get different results when you start with different values. The initial question stated the object's density as 0.93, but this post says it's 0.9. (Also, I think the correct density of ethanol is .789, not .806)

R
The Rams

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by richjohnson
It's no surprise you get different results when you start with different values. The initial question stated the object's density as 0.93, but this post says it's 0.9. (Also, I think the correct density of ethanol is .789, not .806)
aha maybe I keep using the wrong numbers! I am only 33 off...using 30 too low on density and .007 on ethanol? (I used ethyl alcohol - they are pretty much the same.)

I'll check.

R
The Rams

Moves
17 Dec 07

I figured it out: I will post tomorrow if nobody gets it by then.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
17 Dec 07

I figured it out: I will post tomorrow if nobody gets it by then.
Just post it, Ramned. I think we've already had more than the usual amount of discussion on this one.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
17 Dec 07

isn't surface tension reduced when you add ethanol to water?

k

Wollongong

Moves
18 Dec 07
1 edit

R
The Rams

Moves
18 Dec 07
4 edits

Here is how to do that problem. I used Density of ethyl alcohol, same as ethanol basically.

1. Vw = 500 cm^3 = 5e-4 m^3 = 500 g or .5 kg.

2. De = (Me / Ve) => Ve = Me/ De => Ve = (Me / .806e3)
V = Total mass / total density => V = M / .9e3

3. V = Ve + Vw
V = Ve + (5e-4)
(Substituting...)
(M / .9e3) = (Me / .806e3) + 5e-4
((Me + 5e-4)/.9e3) = (Me / .806e3) + 5e-4

(Solve. The above might come out in wrong units, I can't remember - just needs converted to cm^3.)

Another fluid problem
A 1.00 kg beaker containing 2.00 kg of oil (density = 916 kg/m^3) rests on a scale. A 2.00 kg block of iron is suspended from a spring scale and is completely submerged in the oil (suspended, not touching the beaker.) Find the equilibrium readings of both scales.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
19 Dec 07

Here is how to do that problem. I used Density of ethyl alcohol, same as ethanol basically.

1. Vw = 500 cm^3 = 5e-4 m^3 = 500 g or .5 kg.

2. De = (Me / Ve) => Ve = Me/ De => Ve = (Me / .806e3)
V = Total mass / total density => V = M / .9e3

3. V = Ve + Vw
V = Ve + (5e-4)
(Substituting...)
(M / .9e3) = (Me / .80 ...[text shortened]... in the oil (suspended, not touching the beaker.) Find the equilibrium readings of both scales.
Ramned, you used a different number for the density of the object than the one given in the question (930 kg/m3). Also, where did you get your value for the density of ethanol (same thing as ethyl alcohol) of 806 g/cm3? Wikipedia reports it as 789 g/cm3.

I stand by my original solution.

As for this question, we need the density of iron which Wikipedia reports as 7.86 g/cm3 near room temperature, which is 7860 kg/m3.

The block of iron displaces some of the oil in the beaker, which causes a buoyant force to be applied to the iron (reducing the weight registered on the spring scale). This buoyant force is balanced by an equal and opposite force acting down on the fluid in the beaker (increasing the weight on the flat scale). The magnitude of the buoyant force is given by:

Fb = rho(oil) * V(iron) * g

Now, the volume of the 2.00 kg iron block is simply:

V(iron) = m(iron) / rho(iron) = 2.00 / 7860 = 2.5445 x 10^-4 m3

So the buoyant force is:

Fb = 916 * 2.5445 x 10^-4 * 9.81 = 2.2865 = 2.29 N

The reading on the spring scale will be:

W = m(iron)*g - Fb = 2.00 * 9.81 - 2.2865 = 17.335 = 17.3 N

The reading on the flat scale will be:

W = m(beaker)*g + m(oil)*g + Fb = 9.81 * (1.00 + 2.00) + 2.2865 = 31.7165 = 31.7 N

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
19 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by PBE6
Ramned, you used a different number for the density of the object than the one given in the question (930 kg/m3). Also, where did you get your value for the density of ethanol (same thing as ethyl alcohol) of 806 g/cm3? Wikipedia reports it as 789 g/cm3.

I stand by my original solution.

As for this question, we need the density of iron which Wikipedia r ...[text shortened]... e will be:

W = m(beaker)*g + m(oil)*g + Fb = 9.81 * (1.00 + 2.00) + 2.2865 = 31.7165 = 31.7 N
I stil say you have to take into account the drop in surface tension since ethanol has a surface tension value lower than water does.(almost 4 times lower)

Ethanol will float on top of the water so the object will be "floating" on ethanol, not water. So any horizontal forces acting on the object will be reduced and therefore alter the buoyancy value.

http://www.surface-tension.de/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/[WORD TOO LONG]

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
19 Dec 07

Originally posted by uzless
I stil say you have to take into account the drop in surface tension since ethanol has a surface tension value lower than water does.(almost 4 times lower)

Ethanol will float on top of the water so the object will be "floating" on ethanol, not water. So any horizontal forces acting on the object will be reduced and therefore alter the buoyancy value.

h ...[text shortened]... ew=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=9470428e97b2d564ed79d9459b7ef9dc
Surface tension would only apply at the surface of the fluid, but if the object has the same density as the fluid it can float anywhere in the fluid without moving up or down. Also, ethanol is miscible with water so you wouldn't have a distinct layer, you would just have a uniform solution.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
19 Dec 07
2 edits

Originally posted by PBE6
Surface tension would only apply at the surface of the fluid, but if the object has the same density as the fluid it can float anywhere in the fluid without moving up or down. Also, ethanol is miscible with water so you wouldn't have a distinct layer, you would just have a uniform solution.
Ah, wasn't aware that ethanol wouldn't separate from water. My bad....just figured with the lighter specific gravity ethanol would float.

Those dam Carbon-Hydrogen atoms foul me up again. Fack you chemistry!

R
The Rams

Moves
19 Dec 07

I rounded 930 to 900 since, when converting to kg /m^3, it makes such little a difference.

Same for using ethyl alcohol. Basically it is the same thing as ethanol (the densities are very similar).

V = Ve + Vw is the route to go. Substitute the values of V = M/D, Ve = Me / De, etc.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
19 Dec 07

I rounded 930 to 900 since, when converting to kg /m^3, it makes such little a difference.

Same for using ethyl alcohol. Basically it is the same thing as ethanol (the densities are very similar).

V = Ve + Vw is the route to go. Substitute the values of V = M/D, Ve = Me / De, etc.
Just like to point out two things:

1) Ethanol is the IUPAC name for ethyl alcohol. They are the same compound - not similar - the same.

2) Rounding data given in the question is a no-no. It introduces systematic error into the solution.

However, I have to say that I enjoy your puzzles immensely. My criticism is given in the spirit of finding truth, and is not meant to be pedantic or harsh in any way. Keep the puzzles coming! 🙂

R
The Rams

Moves
20 Dec 07

Yes! I should not have rounded. But the method is more correct and worked. I will post another few fluid problems in a bit. Need to think of some more since they have been toughest

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
20 Dec 07

A farmer has four straight pieces of fencing: 1, 2, 3, and 4 yards in length. What is the maximum area he can enclose by connecting the pieces? Assume the land is flat.