Anyone a Master of Physics?

Anyone a Master of Physics?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07

Nobodies gotten it? Amazing. I might just explain it - but then looks like nobody is a master at physics!

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by Ramned
Nobodies gotten it? Amazing. I might just explain it - but then looks like nobody is a master at physics!
ok, give it a little more time for some of us to take a look and think some more. i just stopped thinking about it because i know lots of guys are smarter than me and i figured there were gonna just say it.

btw, if it takes lots of math formulas to explain it, then forget about waiting, cause i can't figure those things out

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by coquette
ok, give it a little more time for some of us to take a look and think some more. i just stopped thinking about it because i know lots of guys are smarter than me and i figured there were gonna just say it.

btw, if it takes lots of math formulas to explain it, then forget about waiting, cause i can't figure those things out
It involves no necessary math.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07
1 edit

13. An object is hung on a spring, and the frequency of oscilation of the system, f, is measured. The object, a second identical object, and the spring are carried to space in the Space Shuttle. The two objects are attached to the ends of the spring, and the system is taken into space on a space walk. The spring is extended, and the system is released to oscillate while floating in space. The coils of the spring do not bump into one another. What is the frequency of oscillation for this system, in terms of f?

There's the question again.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
23 Sep 07

i'll try with a guess first: 4f

Reason:

1. it's not 2f, that is what would happen if the spring were only half as long with the same object, or if the two objects were put on the same kind of spring that was twice as long.

2. it's 4f (maybe) because the two objects are at the ends of the SAME original spring, therefore, they are both moving, but the spring expansion-contraction distance is only 1/2 as long (the 2f part), but because there are TWO objects on the spring pulling out (stretching) the spring and 'springing' back, they go twice as fast, for 4f????

(admittedly wild guess!)

P

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by coquette
i'll try with a guess first: 4f

Reason:

1. it's not 2f, that is what would happen if the spring were only half as long with the same object, or if the two objects were put on the same kind of spring that was twice as long.

2. it's 4f (maybe) because the two objects are at the ends of the SAME original spring, therefore, they are both moving, but th ...[text shortened]... spring and 'springing' back, they go twice as fast, for 4f????

(admittedly wild guess!)
I would guess that it was 2f because the centre of the coil is stationary so it will behave like 2 springs of half the length attached to eachother where each one provides the force the other one needs for it's oscillation.

just a guess mind.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
23 Sep 07

I couldn't crack it but looks like peteyjames got it.
But one thing to be sure: we´re assuming no other interaction between the objects than their mutual gravitational attraction?

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by adam warlock
I couldn't crack it but looks like peteyjames got it.
But one thing to be sure: we´re assuming no other interaction between the objects than their mutual gravitational attraction?
No, he's not right. I'll wait another bit until others guess.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
23 Sep 07

No, he's not right. I'll wait another bit until others guess.
But just tell me if the only interaction you want us to consider it's their mutual gravitational attraction.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Sep 07

I must have this completely wrong so somebody help me!

How can the system oscillate when there is no other force (ie no gravity) acting against the spring? Wont the objects just get drawn together by the spring and collide (even though the Q says this wont happen)?

I just dont understand the problem!!

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I must have this completely wrong so somebody help me!

How can the system oscillate when there is no other force (ie no gravity) acting against the spring? Wont the objects just get drawn together by the spring and collide (even though the Q says this wont happen)?

I just dont understand the problem!!
This is hooks law. Elastic materials when compressed in one direction will respond with a force on the opposite direction. So, if I understood the problem correctly gravity is the force that push objects to contact while the spring responds naturally and push the objects apart in the first part of the motion.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07

But just tell me if the only interaction you want us to consider it's their mutual gravitational attraction.
You can consider anything to logically solve the problem. But it is not necessary to calculate anything. Takes perhaps a bit of creativity.

I'll start you off, since everyone is lost.

When the spring w/ the 2 objects on opposite ends is set into oscillation is space the coil at the exact center does not move. Therefore, we can imagine clamping the center coil in place without affecting the motion. If we do this, we have 2 separate oscillating systems, one on each side of the clamp...

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
23 Sep 07

well, good thought. if the spring isn't stretched (putting energy into the system) then nothing will happen. so, to me, it made sense to start with an energetic system that will be oscillating.

Then, once the spring pulls the two balls together, they will "bounce" off each other and head back out to their "stretch" point, and then spring back in to the collision point on and on.

The only question is what frequency will this happen in relationship to one ball on a fixed object to start. just as with all other complex questions, this one theorizes no other forces, like friction, involved.

it comes down to a spring length that is one half as long (two balls on the same spring), and two balls at either end of the spring moving at once, instead of one ball moving like a ball on a ping pong paddle attached by a rubber band.

i think that it assumes no loss of energy either.

since it's not 2f or 4f . . . .i don't think i'm ever going to get it.

P

Moves
23 Sep 07

The frequency is the same. the net effect of the objects puling eachother is the same as the weight of the object under gravity on one end and the fixed point at the other.

R
The Rams

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by PeteyJames
The frequency is the same. the net effect of the objects puling eachother is the same as the weight of the object under gravity on one end and the fixed point at the other.
No...Keep trying to think it out. Use that bit I gave you. If nobody gets it in 24 hours or so, I will either ask someone to post or I will explain what's going on.