This weeks puzzle

This weeks puzzle

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
14 Jul 20

@bigdoggproblem said

A 24 hour digital clock shows each digit using a 7 segment display.The digits 0-9 use 6,2,5,5,4,5,6,3,7,6 segments respectively.Starting from 00:00, how many times a day does the display change but still have the same total number of segments in use?
Good luck.
I don't even understand the question!!
There are no typo's -I've checked it 3 times

...[text shortened]... d my answer using Python. For those interested in coding: https://repl.it/repls/FloweryChiefResource
Congratulations again.
As with a lot of these things, it's quite straight forward when you see the answer.
The Boa constrictor snake you used for verification must be a very clever one!!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
14 Jul 20

@venda said
Congratulations again.
As with a lot of these things, it's quite straight forward when you see the answer.
The Boa constrictor snake you used for verification must be a very clever one!!
The program? It's not very clever. It doesn't need to be. A comp can easily brute force the problem.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
19 Jul 20

This weeks puzzle is mildly entertaining.Sounds a bit like social distancing to me!! :-
As I was going to St Ives I met a man with seven wives,each wife had seven cats , each cat had seven kits.Kit's Cats,wives , man and I stood in a straight line , each keeping precisely two metres apart(as measured from the centre of one body to the next).
how long was the line

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jul 20

@venda said
This weeks puzzle is mildly entertaining.Sounds a bit like social distancing to me!! :-
As I was going to St Ives I met a man with seven wives,each wife had seven cats , each cat had seven kits.Kit's Cats,wives , man and I stood in a straight line , each keeping precisely two metres apart(as measured from the centre of one body to the next).
how long was the line
n = 1+1+7+7^2 + 7^3 = 401 Things in a line

Distance = 2* ( n-1) = 2*( 401 - 1 ) = 800 m

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
20 Jul 20

@joe-shmo said
n = 1+1+7+7^2 + 7^3 = 401 Things in a line

Distance = 2* ( n-1) = 2*( 401 - 1 ) = 800 m
Correct.Too easy really

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
17 Sep 20

The puzzle in last weeks Saturday paper was quite interesting although I didn't know how to do it.(Sorry, I've been busy!!)
It was an ice cream parlour that offered any combination of 5 flavours of Ice cream on the menu.
Because of restrictions they then were now only offering any combination of 4 flavours on the menu.
How many combinations were there on offer now?
The only other fact you were given was that there were now exactly half of the options available than there was before.
I've seen the(frankly ridiculous ) answer and I know the combinations formula but I can't work out how to set about it when the N! is an unknown

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Sep 20

@venda said
The puzzle in last weeks Saturday paper was quite interesting although I didn't know how to do it.(Sorry, I've been busy!!)
It was an ice cream parlour that offered any combination of 5 flavours of Ice cream on the menu.
Because of restrictions they then were now only offering any combination of 4 flavours on the menu.
How many combinations were there on offer now?
T ...[text shortened]... d I know the combinations formula but I can't work out how to set about it when the N! is an unknown
Are there any restrictions on the number of scoops per combination?

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
17 Sep 20

@bigdoggproblem said
Are there any restrictions on the number of scoops per combination?
Sorry, I think I missed a bit.
The combination of flavours offered was a combination of any 5 and 4 from "x" number of flavours.
The problem therefore is finding when any 5 out of x is double any 4 out of x where x is the number of flavours on the menu.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Sep 20

@venda said
Sorry, I think I missed a bit.
The combination of flavours offered was a combination of any 5 and 4 from "x" number of flavours.
The problem therefore is finding when any 5 out of x is double any 4 out of x where x is the number of flavours on the menu.
10 flavours.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Sep 20

@wolfgang59
Incorrect

Moves
18 Sep 20

@venda

Hi Venda

I think N=14, which would give 2002 ways of choosing 5 flavours and 1001 of choosing 4?

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Sep 20

@blood-on-the-tracks said
@venda

Hi Venda

I think N=14, which would give 2002 ways of choosing 5 flavours and 1001 of choosing 4?
Correct
Well done.
Do you have a formula for finding the solution?

Moves
18 Sep 20

@venda

Well, the ways of picking r things from N is given by N!/(N-r)!r!

So I had N!/(N-5)!5! for the 5 scoops and N!/(N-4)!4! for 4

So N!/(N-5)!5! = 2 x N!/(N-4)!4!

Your N! cancels out, turn 'both sides' upside down and you get

(N-5)! x 5! = (N-4)! x 4! all over 2

5!/4! =5 and (N-4)!/(N-5)! = (N-4), so applying that to cancelling we get

5 = (N-4)/2

10 = N-4, N=14, then apply the combinations rule from earlier to get 1001 and 2002

Phew!

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Sep 20

@blood-on-the-tracks said
@venda

Well, the ways of picking r things from N is given by N!/(N-r)!r!

So I had N!/(N-5)!5! for the 5 scoops and N!/(N-4)!4! for 4

So N!/(N-5)!5! = 2 x N!/(N-4)!4!

Your N! cancels out, turn 'both sides' upside down and you get

(N-5)! x 5! = (N-4)! x 4! all over 2

5!/4! =5 and (N-4)!/(N-5)! = (N-4), so applying that to cancelling we get

5 = ...[text shortened]... -4)/2

10 = N-4, N=14, then apply the combinations rule from earlier to get 1001 and 2002

Phew!
Thanks for that.

Moves
18 Sep 20

@venda
No problem. Have missed your weekly 'puzzle', though you did say the quality dwindled!