1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 11:53
    http://www.zmescience.com/other/astropicture/logarithmic-map-universe/

These are not drawings but photos made by dozens of telescopes on Earth and in orbit.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 12:081 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.zmescience.com/other/astropicture/logarithmic-map-universe/

These are not drawings but photos made by dozens of telescopes on Earth and in orbit.
    It incorporates photos, but overall still takes a lot of artistic licence. I am sure the outer edge (a quarter of the diameter) is not based directly on photos. The rest of it is just photos put in the approximately right places but not necessarily correctly to scale.
    Certainly the scale of the sun in proportion to the planets is wrong as are the sizes of the planets in relation to each other.

It does look nice though.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 16:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It incorporates photos, but overall still takes a lot of artistic licence. I am sure the outer edge (a quarter of the diameter) is not based directly on photos. The rest of it is just photos put in the approximately right places but not necessarily correctly to scale.
    Certainly the scale of the sun in proportion to the planets is wrong as are the sizes of the planets in relation to each other.

It does look nice though.
    It was meant to be a work of art, not an exact replica of the universe. How could you do that accurately in one piece maybe 2 feet across, whatever the size is. He could do a decent job if it was full size however🙂
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 20:04
    He could do a decent job if it was full size however🙂
    There is no such thing as 'full size' when talking about a logarithmic scale.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 20:59
    He could do a decent job if it was full size however🙂
    I think making the pictures to the same size as what the pictures are of would be rather ambitious.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 23:32
    Originally posted by humy
    I think making the pictures to the same size as what the pictures are of would be rather ambitious.
    That was a re-telling of a Steve Wright joke. He wants a map of the US, full size🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree