1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 07:38
    https://phys.org/news/2023-12-3d-multilayer-high-numerical-aperture-achromatic.html

Maybe in ten years glass lenses will be all obsolete and a new era of optics started today.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 07:58
    @sonhouse

Interesting technically, but I don’t see the application for glasses for correcting astigmatism in humans. That would be like shooting ducks with laser-guided atom bombs. This technology is probably relevant only in industrial applications.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 08:21
    @moonbus
    This tech is small enough to be incorporated in contacts, we are talking microns high stuff. I think smart phones will get them first, lighter, more light gathering power and so forth but telescopes could be built with industrial sized processes and of course we are not talking even 2025, more like 2028 or so but I think a revolution is starting.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 09:05
    @sonhouse said
    @moonbus
    This tech is small enough to be incorporated in contacts, we are talking microns high stuff. I think smart phones will get them first, lighter, more light gathering power and so forth but telescopes could be built with industrial sized processes and of course we are not talking even 2025, more like 2028 or so but I think a revolution is starting.
    I foresee medical/diagnostic/surgical applications too. Putting cameras in places where the sun don’t shine.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Dec '23 01:29
    @moonbus
    Maybe even permanently installed, powered by the body and transmitting data like video and audio, temperature, Ph and the like via bluetooth or whatever pops up in the next ten years. By then it might go beyond UHF and into Terahertz territory. I just saw a terahertz amp pushing out some 30 DB of gain so that frequency band is getting closer to commercial applications.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Jan '24 19:18
    @sonhouse said
    @moonbus
    Maybe even permanently installed, powered by the body and transmitting data like video and audio, temperature, Ph and the like via bluetooth or whatever pops up in the next ten years. By then it might go beyond UHF and into Terahertz territory. I just saw a terahertz amp pushing out some 30 DB of gain so that frequency band is getting closer to commercial applications.
    And everyone could post their footage on PooTube and get a little ad revenue. Win-win.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 00:38
    @Soothfast
    Ok folks, here is MY internal data, blood flow, Ph, O2 stats, Glucose, the works, I made it into a video with music by Bruce Springsteen.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 23:59
    @moonbus said
    @sonhouse

Interesting technically, but I don’t see the application for glasses for correcting astigmatism in humans. That would be like shooting ducks with laser-guided atom bombs. This technology is probably relevant only in industrial applications.
    He meant glass lenses not “glasses” as in spectacles.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '24 00:01
    @sonhouse said
    @moonbus
    This tech is small enough to be incorporated in contacts, we are talking microns high stuff.
    Contact lenses microns thick? People have to be able to pick them up, and then not break them.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 07:00
    @divegeester
    The optics are little micron sized posts that interact with light, they would be on the surface of the contacts which would be regular thickness and transparent.
    The magic would happen by the exact placement and size of the posts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree