1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Jan '24 05:08
    Just saw this. Very interesting, albeit just a tad scary:

YouTube?si=lhLCXypAfxHp-hSp

On two side notes:
    Global warming in my house has exploded… we have city heat (heat residue from powerplants heats our heaters), but something in our system has broken and the house temperature’s been rising now for a week. It’s 24 degrees as I write.
    Don’t worry though. They’re coming to fix it before we’re fried on the couch.

And the American pronounciation of bouy is completely nuts.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    24 Jan '24 06:15
    @shavixmir said
    On two side notes:
    Global warming in my house has exploded… we have city heat (heat residue from powerplants heats our heaters), but something in our system has broken and the house temperature’s been rising now for a week. It’s 24 degrees as I write.
    Don’t worry though. They’re coming to fix it before we’re fried on the couch.

And the American pronounciation of bouy is completely nuts.
    "BOO-weee." That's how they say it in Star Trek.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Jan '24 14:01
    @soothfast said
    "BOO-weee." That's how they say it in Star Trek.
    And they say it obviously wrong…
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '24 17:15
    @shavixmir
    That is a bit warm, some 75 degrees F, I have been fighting our furnace, too cold, like 12 degrees C, 54 F. We use propane and I took the furnace apart and found the pipes that send heat to the water were very dirty, I half filled a shop vac with the dust and stuff. Very dirty job! but now we are running 65 F, 18 C. That furnace also provides hot water for kitchen and showers.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Jan '24 06:17
    @shavixmir said
    And they say it obviously wrong…
    More accurately I guess Americans say BOO-ee. I've researched the British pronunciation, and I can't say BOY cuts it for me. There's a "u" in there, not to be ignored. Have the Brits gotten so accustomed to ignoring the "u" in "colour" that they are utterly blind to it?

On the other hand, we pronounce "bouyancy" as BOY-ancy, so maybe we are screwed up after all. And worse, we have a tendency to pronounce bouy as BOY when it's a verb, and say BOO-ee when it's a noun.

Buoy is a Germanic word, so the Germans should be the ultimate tie-breaker. They say BO-yeh, which is closer to BOY than BOO-ee. I guess that settles it.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 11:30
    @soothfast said
    More accurately I guess Americans say BOO-ee. I've researched the British pronunciation, and I can't say BOY cuts it for me. There's a "u" in there, not to be ignored. Have the Brits gotten so accustomed to ignoring the "u" in "colour" that they are utterly blind to it?

On the other hand, we pronounce "bouyancy" as BOY-ancy, so maybe we are screwed up after all. And ...[text shortened]... ltimate tie-breaker. They say BO-yeh, which is closer to BOY than BOO-ee. I guess that settles it.
    That last thing settles nothing. We won the bloody war.

Well, I say "we", but obviously I mean the Germans lost. It's not like I, personally, had a lot to do with it...
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 16:09
    Speaking as an American, it's buoy, not bouy, and the preferred pronunciation is "boo-ee", but "boy" is also acceptable.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 19:22
    @Suzianne
    Hey coast guard alert, its a BOY and it's DROWNING🙂
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 11:56
    @suzianne said
    Speaking as an American, it's buoy, not bouy, and the preferred pronunciation is "boo-ee", but "boy" is also acceptable.
    There's numerous examples of words pronounces differently by citizens of different countries.There's even a song about it.
    As long as you make yourself understood , I don't think the pronounciation or the spelling in written text matters.
    I had relations ,sadly mostly dead now, who live about 40 miles away.
    When they talk fast in dialect I struggle to understand them!
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 12:091 edit
    In Australia it's always spelt (spelled) BUOY and pronounced BOY. But back in the 1950s we said BWOY.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree