1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Oct '16 21:42
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-10-low-oxygen-environment-heart-regeneration-mice.html

Counter-intuitive results for sure. The only obstacle I can see is the time you have to spend in such an envirnment, a couple of weeks slowly going down to 7% and several weeks at 7% and then the same coming back to 21%. Next they have to prove it in humans and that will no doubt be years down the road.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 08:29
    My first thought is have they studied the hearts of people who either live in very high altitude location or who moved there for a time.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My first thought is have they studied the hearts of people who either live in very high altitude location or who moved there for a time.
    Whatever the genesis of this technique, it still holds possibilites for heart regeneration. I wonder if there were any studies of people who live their entire lives at 5000 meters and up if there is any data on heart regeneration, it may already be in the data if they know where to look. But maybe not, if you literally don't get benefit till you reach 7% level, even at 7000 meters it would be above that level. So the data probably is not available.

Nobody stays on the top of Everest for weeks on end, they get to the top, jump up and down in celebration, waving arms in the air, breaking out booze to celebrate, then get the hell back down to reasonable conditions🙂
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 17:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Nobody stays on the top of Everest for weeks on end, they get to the top, jump up and down in celebration, waving arms in the air, breaking out booze to celebrate, then get the hell back down to reasonable conditions🙂
    No sensible person does that, but then there are a lot of corpses on Mt. Everest.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 17:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Whatever the genesis of this technique, it still holds possibilites for heart regeneration. I wonder if there were any studies of people who live their entire lives at 5000 meters and up if there is any data on heart regeneration, it may already be in the data if they know where to look. But maybe not, if you literally don't get benefit till you reach 7% level, even at 7000 meters it would be above that level. So the data probably is not available.
    I know that some locations are high enough that only people who have evolved there can have children there. I believe that is low-oxygen related.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 09:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I know that some locations are high enough that only people who have evolved there can have children there. I believe that is low-oxygen related.
    Yes it is but they are not living their lives at 7%. More like 14% which doesn't allow for the heart regeneration seen in this study.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree