2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '23 23:41
    @metal-brain said
    Main achievements: Slowing and stopping a beam of light

https://scientificwomen.net/women/hau-lene-126
    Fascinating work.
    Way beyond my understanding though, but fascinating all the same.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '23 09:03
    @divegeester
    What I wonder is if you can stop light dead in its track, why couldn't that work as an energy storage battery? If you can keep stuffing the box with frozen light, isn't that a concentration of energy? If you can control the unfreezing part why would that not be a battery?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jul '23 11:26
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    What I wonder is if you can stop light dead in its track, why couldn't that work as an energy storage battery? If you can keep stuffing the box with frozen light, isn't that a concentration of energy? If you can control the unfreezing part why would that not be a battery?
    More than just a battery, even though that's amazing in itself, this seems capable of applications in communications, high-speed computing and data storage.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '23 19:35
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Because it would have to be at absolute zero. Same problem with superconductors.
    EBC.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree