1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Nov '23 08:27
    Just read about the discovery of new pulsars here:

https://dx.doi.org/10.48550/arxiv.2311.00370

Since a pulsar can only be detected if you are on the direction of the pole of the pulsar, they were once deemed very seldom and hard to find. Now with the FAST device they scanned a very small area of our sky (4.7 square degrees from 41253 square degree of the whole sky) and found five new ones adding ot the six known ones in that reagion. So a rough estimate would assume that there are about 11000 pulsars pointing to our solar system, which in tunr means that there are hundred thousands of pulsars in the observable universe.

That seems hardly exotic now.

Lets see how many other once exotic phenomena will be discovered with increades measurement systems.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Nov '23 18:06
    @Ponderable
    Seems most anything is possible in a universe some 50 billion light years across🙂
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Nov '23 21:23
    @sonhouse

Isn’t it also possible that due to gravitational lensing, or other similar massive bodies, that some signals are being bent towards us, although the source of the signals is pointing slightly beside us?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '23 23:32
    @moonbus
    A small part of the radiation going by the black hole, some of that light could be turned 180 degrees but I don't think that could happen with anything less than a black hole. I think light could enter an orbit around a black hole at the right distance, any closer and the light would continue to spiral inwards never to be seen again. but there would be this one distance that a light beam entering would not be spiraling inwards but assume an orbit. Light coming from a higher altitude would be bent say at 140 degrees and some at 180 degrees, I guess there would be a formula for that, using c as the constant, anyway that's what I surmise. It could go 280 degrees and be on its way also, or 349 degrees and be on its way. At just the right distance, it would be 360 forever, or a very long time, depending on how much the BH loses mass due to Hawking radiation, which is very very slow indeed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree