1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '23 06:17
    https://phys.org/news/2023-07-deeper-violent-neutron-star-collisions.html
    Now they think colliding neutron stars do that job. Which explains why there is not much of it compared to say aluminum.
    Not that many colliding neutron stars around.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '23 10:37
    @sonhouse
    That theory has been around for a while. I think it is odd that nobody talks about how matter escapes the intense gravity of a neutron star. It would have to be spin. How much spin would be needed to overcome the gravity?

Why are they ruling out supernovas? They explode, so that explains the escape.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Aug '23 13:19
    @metal-brain said
    @sonhouse
    That theory has been around for a while. I think it is odd that nobody talks about how matter escapes the intense gravity of a neutron star. It would have to be spin. How much spin would be needed to overcome the gravity?

Why are they ruling out supernovas? They explode, so that explains the escape.
    He said two neutron stars colliding.

That would be more than enough force to eject material.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '23 14:56
    @suzianne said
    He said two neutron stars colliding.

That would be more than enough force to eject material.
    How do you know? Many neutron stars rotate around each other before they collide. That explains the spin. Even if it is a more direct collision, black holes do the same thing.

How much gravity is too much gravity for ejection of matter? It is easy to guess black holes are too much, but neutron stars are very intense too. Light can escape, but little else can. Do they have to be small neutron stars? Are some too big for ejection of matter? Black holes start out as neutron stars. When they get too dense they become black holes.

Some neutron stars seem too big to not collapse into black holes. This is theorized as due to the centrifugal force from high speed spin. Are you sure it is not because the centrifugal force from high speed spin overcomes gravity?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '23 08:251 edit
    @metal-brain said
    How do you know? Many neutron stars rotate around each other before they collide. That explains the spin. Even if it is a more direct collision, black holes do the same thing.

How much gravity is too much gravity for ejection of matter? It is easy to guess black holes are too much, but neutron stars are very intense too. Light can escape, but little else can. Do they h ...[text shortened]... d spin. Are you sure it is not because the centrifugal force from high speed spin overcomes gravity?
    What spin?

You know, morons like you really should stay the F out of the Science Forum.

"Black holes start out as neutron stars."

Why can't you ever stop lying? Or at least confine yourself to stuff you know about. Which is basically nothing.

Exhibit A:
    "Some neutron stars seem too big to not collapse into black holes. This is theorized as due to the centrifugal force from high speed spin. Are you sure it is not because the centrifugal force from high speed spin overcomes gravity?"

Is research too hard for you? You might be able to get away with spouting BS in the Debates Forum (although I don't see why), but not in a Science Forum. I'll lay odds that almost anyone here knows more about, well, everything discussed here, than you.

Bonus question:
    Do you even know what the hell a neutron star IS?
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    04 Aug '23 16:56
    some say Ft. Knox is empty ! the USA has sold every bit of our gold. That's why they changed the dollar bill..
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '23 11:58
    @Suzianne
    Suzi hates me so much for my political comments on the debates forum she has to lie about science too.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8576-fast-spinning-neutron-star-smashes-speed-limit/
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Aug '23 21:08
    @sonhouse

Off topic, but thought you’d like to know ( if you don’t already) that contact w Voyager 2 has been re/established.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/04/world/nasa-voyager-2-communications-restored-scn/index.html
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '23 06:30
    @moonbus
    Yeah, heard that one, it was an Earthy glitch that caused that loss of data and it was the clever design of Voyager that it will move its antenna back to more or less be able to latch on to Earthy signals which it did when we more or less shouted RF in its direction.

It is mind boggling we can do that at all, considering it is some 20 billion odd km away from Earth and many hours of just the journey those radio signals take to get there and calculating how far away it is, and how much it moves and how much movement Voyager would make to be out of the radio beam, pretty awesome for 1970's technology.
    It was pretty awesome to me personally to be part of Apollo where my job was Apollo tracking and timing, a small part of it for sure. Tracking was a transponder on Apollo that spit back a special digital signal radio'd up to Apollo and when the signal got back to Earth comparing the digital signals of sending and receiving told how far away it was within FIFTY FEET, and if they wanted to bad enough they could have tweeked that bit to be within 6 inches but within 50 feet was more than good enough for that era.
    The timing bit was atomic clocks used to be able to coordinate the changeover from one radio dish say in Austalia ( where the 'one step for man' bit was actually picked up from, to one say in Chile or somewhere else because ALL those dishes lose contact on a regular basis since the Earth has the habit of turning those dishes away from Apollo and so the atomic clocks were used to generate timing pulses that allowed say that Aussie station to switch say to some dish in Chile within 100 NANOSECONDS, if they got that kind of accuracy in the switch, no data to and from Apollo would be lost.
    Great gig till Nixon got ahold of it🙁
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Sep '23 08:40
    @Metal-Brain
    I guess you didn't notice that piece came from about 17 years ago and I assume you conflated SPINNING velocity to actual velocity in space.
    They SAID it was SPINNING faster than theory AT THE TIME could not explain.
    A lot has happened since then but you knew that full well and just LOVE to print BS in your zeal to convince people just how incredibly smart you are, you think of yourself as not needing to learn ANYTHING because you are already an expert on SO many subjects.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '23 09:54
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I guess you didn't notice that piece came from about 17 years ago and I assume you conflated SPINNING velocity to actual velocity in space.
    They SAID it was SPINNING faster than theory AT THE TIME could not explain.
    A lot has happened since then but you knew that full well and just LOVE to print BS in your zeal to convince people just how incredibly smart you ...[text shortened]... of yourself as not needing to learn ANYTHING because you are already an expert on SO many subjects.
    What has happened since then? Explain.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '23 21:33
    @sonhouse
    Why is rhodium so rare?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree