1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Jan '24 10:52
    Clan discussions are almost always about the net points list and the domination of a few clans.A few suggestions on how to change this and inject some new life into the clan system:-
    1.Scrap the net points list.
    It's all about various tactics employed to be first on it.It's not representative of a clans performance because it's not a level playing field.The clans who play the most games have an unfair advantage.
    2.Replace it with a table reflecting success.
    To be included on the table a clan would have to complete a certain number of challenges (say 20).
    The table would then be calculated on percentage wins and draws.I would still expect the "big" clans to feature strongly on it because the more challenges you play the more wins and draws you are likely to achieve but it would give the less active clans some incentive to play and win.
    I know filters are already in place which shows stats for wins,draws etc but no one seems to look at them .Without the net points list perhaps people would.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jan '24 11:31
    @venda

The clan system is not perfect. I played in it long enough to see both its flaws and its attractions. One of the attractive features of the clan system is that the clan with highest-rated players is not the most likely one to win, which is how a team tournament is set up. The clan system is fundamentally different to team tournaments. Making the clan system more like team tournaments will render one or the other superfluous.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jan '24 13:51
    @moonbus said
    @venda

The clan system is not perfect. I played in it long enough to see both its flaws and its attractions. One of the attractive features of the clan system is that the clan with highest-rated players is not the most likely one to win, which is how a team tournament is set up. The clan system is fundamentally different to team tournaments. Making the clan system more like team tournaments will render one or the other superfluous.
    Thanks for the input Moonbus.
    I agree with most of what you say,but I can't see how changing the clan scoring system to a percentage wins-based system makes it like a tournament
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 13:32
    @venda said
    Thanks for the input Moonbus.
    I agree with most of what you say,but I can't see how changing the clan scoring system to a percentage wins-based system makes it like a tournament
    A proposal similar to yours along with several others were discussed after the debacle of the 2016 season (remember Robbie?). The clan captains voted to keep the system as is, rather than implement any changes. Do you think the mood of the captains has changed since then?
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 14:42
    @moonbus said
    A proposal similar to yours along with several others were discussed after the debacle of the 2016 season (remember Robbie?). The clan captains voted to keep the system as is, rather than implement any changes. Do you think the mood of the captains has changed since then?
    Who could forget Robbie , McTayto and Lemon?
    I would have been part of that debate as I think I was running the Laikers in 2016.
    I vaguely remember(it's an age thing) voting to leave the system as it was then.
    Things have changed for the worse since then and the number of active clans continues to fall.
    I think there is more than one reason for the decline and one must be the dominance of a few clans on the net points list.
    When the relatively recent thread "what can be done" was started I thought it was probably time for a change so I aired a few thoughts.
    I won't be eligible to vote in any new poll as I'm not a captain anymore,but at least my proposal is out there for anyone to see and consider
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 16:201 edit
    @venda

The skewed playing field and the practice of resigning playable games once a challenge has been decided by other players were reasons I quit the clan system and moved to playing in a club where I know the players and know they play to the best of their abilities at all times. No superficial fix of the clan points tally is going to correct these issues. IMO.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 10:28
    @moonbus said
    @venda

The skewed playing field and the practice of resigning playable games once a challenge has been decided by other players were reasons I quit the clan system and moved to playing in a club where I know the players and know they play to the best of their abilities at all times. No superficial fix of the clan points tally is going to correct these issues. IMO.
    You're probably correct, but at least we have tried to answer the question posed by the thread with a few suggestions.
    Interesting to hear you say you quit the clan system because of the tactical resignations by some clans.
    I wonder how many other players have done the same?
    I'm not playing clan games at the moment but for different reasons which we don't need to go into here

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree