Belief in belief

Belief in belief

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
112d

Belief in belief is the notion that religious belief has positive benefits and should be fostered or tolerated, without the need to subscribe to the belief in question. In western societies this is commonly expressed in cases where people feel that religious belief brings comfort and moral guidance. ~ rationalwiki

What are the strengths and weaknesses of this - to your way of thinking - from a spiritual, religious, or ideological point of view.

Moves
111d

@fmf said
Belief in belief is the notion that religious belief has positive benefits and should be fostered or tolerated, without the need to subscribe to the belief in question. In western societies this is commonly expressed in cases where people feel that religious belief brings comfort and moral guidance. ~ rationalwiki

What are the strengths and weaknesses of this - to your way of thinking - from a spiritual, religious, or ideological point of view.
It would probably go a long way with the thread, if the creator would create a picture of the intent of the thread, by being first at not only the creation and purposes of the belief for having belief, but also what is his own belief on Belief in belief.

Where do you stand on your own beliefs, if you don't have any doubts, to begin with, in this thread. Or do you know for certain, and have no belief on Belief in belief?

Lead off by example.

Although I have to say that to myself too, since I have been known to create a thread or two, without stating my own opinions on the nature of what I create, thread-wise.

And to be clear, it's only a suggestion, and not a mandate.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
111d

@pettytalk said
It would probably go a long way with the thread, if the creator would create a picture of the intent of the thread, by being first at not only the creation and purposes of the belief for having belief, but also what is his own belief on Belief in belief.

Where do you stand on your own beliefs, if you don't have any doubts, to begin with, in this thread. Or do you know f ...[text shortened]... nature of what I create, thread-wise.

Go on sir, make it a mandate.

Moves
111d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Go on sir, make it a mandate.
By the authority granted to me.

So let it be written, so let it be done!

Moves
109d

@pettytalk said

Where do you stand on your own beliefs, if you don't have any doubts, to begin with, in this thread. Or do you know f ...[text shortened]... nature of what I create, thread-wise.

TL/DR version

You first.

Über-Nerd

Moves
107d

@fmf said

Well, the obvious weakness of it is that it doesn't fit with what theists believe, and we should take them at their word, as Dawkins says, that they believe what they say they believe. And what they say they believe is that they believe in God, not in belief in God.

OAa

Moves
101d
1 edit

It's a minor point but you'd be still be associating with religion in a sense. It may only be sentimental, yet by relation that's how the original converts to revived faith probably began, because many were attached in more or less enthusiastic ways to other gods. Roman myths and Greek legends were based on a similar theological foundation, but they simply intuited in places and at others were beneficiaries from religion the Hebrews had established.
Thus, it matters where there's power in substance. This could be in any kind of belief, such as Prometheus stories. But as a fault itself, the one thing can't be that you're not gullible since that actually feels forgivable. The big deal is dishonesty and then getting farther from the ever so true, like polytheism with false idols, man's nonsensical nature of holding numerous deities unless they're all buttressed by one source.

F

Moves
101d

@of-ants-and-imps said
The big deal is dishonesty and then getting farther from the ever so true, like polytheism with false idols, man's nonsensical nature of holding numerous deities unless they're all buttressed by one source.
Why would belief in what you personally describe as "false" and "nonsensical" deities necessarily be "dishonesty"?

OAa

Moves
101d

@FMF
Maybe I was going overboard. Pagans, or gnosticism, I believe are more honest than Wiccan or occultism.

F

Moves
101d

@of-ants-and-imps said
@FMF
Maybe I was going overboard. Pagans, or gnosticism, I believe are more honest than Wiccan or occultism.
Then I will ask again: Why would beliefs that you do not share necessarily involve "dishonesty"?

OAa

Moves
100d

@FMF
So the anomalies in this regard are the Hindus, who still hold a plurality of gods, not Sikhism and the oneness movement. I don't intend they are honest believers as a collective who follow and keep with ideas passed down. In my experience, theirs causes division unless on the individual level they have an idea of the universal satsang. Buddhist and Near East spiritual/Eastern philosophy, I'm not talking about collectively.

F

Moves
100d

@of-ants-and-imps said
@FMF
So the anomalies in this regard are the Hindus, who still hold a plurality of gods, not Sikhism and the oneness movement. I don't intend they are honest believers as a collective who follow and keep with ideas passed down. In my experience, theirs causes division unless on the individual level they have an idea of the universal satsang. Buddhist and Near East spiritual/Eastern philosophy, I'm not talking about collectively.
You seem absolutely determined to sidestep my question. Oh well.