1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Mar '24 08:20
    How can there be a "surface of the deep" over which hovered "the spirit of God" (Gen 1:2) before God separated the waters above from the waters below in Gen 1:6?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '24 08:58
    @athousandyoung said
    How can there be a "surface of the deep" over which hovered "the spirit of God" (Gen 1:2) before God separated the waters above from the waters below in Gen 1:6?
    Water covered the entire surface.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '24 13:093 edits
    @athousandyoung said
    Good question. I've never fully understood that.

Looks like there's the deep, and the surface of it. And the spirit of God hovered over it.

It's the beginning, and space, matter and time were brought into existence. Then things began to shape up.

I wasn't there, so I'm unable to fully understand or explain the process, but I think the words describe a process.

Maybe it was the confluence of the miraculous and science by the mouth of God. Perhaps obviously so.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Mar '24 19:19
    @athousandyoung said
    The surface of the Mariana Trench, the deepest part of the ocean.

The Mariana Trench's surface is notably different from the rest of the ocean. The location is a boundary of two tectonic plates. This boundary is a subduction zone, where one tectonic plate is forced under another, leading to the formation of the trench. The trench's surface is in complete darkness, except for bioluminescent organisms (Spirits).

Bioluminescence is the ability of living organisms to produce light, is associated with various phenomena, including the appearance of spirits or apparitions in seances. This association is rooted in the eerie and ethereal nature of bioluminescent light, which can create a ghostly or spectral appearance when observed in certain conditions.

"'Darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,”'
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Mar '24 21:36
    @athousandyoung said
    I think it is evocative of a mystery, not descriptive of a process.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 00:48
    @pettytalk said
    The surface of the Mariana Trench, the deepest part of the ocean.

The Mariana Trench's surface is notably different from the rest of the ocean. The location is a boundary of two tectonic plates. This boundary is a subduction zone, where one tectonic plate is forced under another, leading to the formation of the trench. The trench's surface is in complete darkness, excep ...[text shortened]... f the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,”'
    Bioluminescent organisms? (Spirits)?

A very interesting post.

I get the bioluminescent organisms, which of course didn't exist at the time when "darkness was upon the face of the deep", but the part inserted about Spirits, capitalized no less, makes me wonder where you came up with that!

"Spirits", capitalized plural, occurs three times in Revelation, and is always in reference to the seven Spirits of God.

There are 43 other references throughout the Bible of "spirits", but that word is not capitalized in those places.

Can you explain what you're referring to when you said "(Spirits)",
    and especially with regard to bioluminescent organisms?
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 07:41
    And on the 9th day, God made ...

YouTube
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 07:51
    @moonbus said
    And on the 9th day, God made ...

[youtube]YTI0qecraNk[/youtube]
    The best thing about dogs is they teach us by example just what unconditional love is about. We say that we understand the concept, but we don't. Not until a dog loves us.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 11:48
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 13:50
    @suzianne said
    The best thing about dogs is they teach us by example just what unconditional love is about. We say that we understand the concept, but we don't. Not until a dog loves us.
    That's not the case with my dogs. They only love me when I give them their favorite treats, or feed them regularly. My dogs are more like cats, conditional creatures.
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 14:57
    @josephw said
    Bioluminescent organisms? (Spirits)?

A very interesting post.

I get the bioluminescent organisms, which of course didn't exist at the time when "darkness was upon the face of the deep", but the part inserted about Spirits, capitalized no less, makes me wonder where you came up with that!

"Spirits", capitalized plural, occurs three times in Revelation, and is always i ...[text shortened]... 're referring to when you said "(Spirits)",
    and especially with regard to bioluminescent organisms?
    You said you did not care to waste your time conversing with me. But I'll give you another chance, and grace your inquisitiveness.

It's all about the Citadel of the Kingdom of God, the Capital city.

Heavenly Capitalism.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

You are building a monument to a capital S. Or as the old saying goes, you are making a mountain out of a molehill

Most people can spot the bigger letters better than the smaller ones. You did, and then went on to imagine some special meaning for it.

Perhaps my capitalizing the S without the proper exclamation mark, following the word, was just a grammatical error for not fully following the general rule for when to capitalize within the parentheses. But the plural for spirit was proper, since it was addressing the plural of organism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree