What rule changes would you make to sport?

What rule changes would you make to sport?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
meaningless, inferior, rather watch baseball, not worth remembering, produces inferior players, has an adverse effect on first class and test cricket, batsmen are bashers and sloggers.
meaningless = too many games causes the meaning of each game to be diluted in my opinion

inferior = Take a 20 year old who had played only 100 T20 games and ask him then to play a test match: believe, me he would be an inferior test player due to his playing experience

rather watch baseball = Yes I'd prefer to watch a game of baseball to an IPL game at any given occasion that I might sit down in front of a telly with 2-3 hours to spare

not worth remembering = yes, that's right, compared to great struggles between international sides, for example

has an adverse effect on first class and test cricket = it is much discussed; if you are interested in the wider game of cricket, you could look into it

batsmen are bashers = you introduced the word "bashers", not me; I mentioned that the Aussie T20 cup is called The Big Bash

batsmen are sloggers = you introduced the word "sloggers", not me; the word I used was "slog" which is a cricketing term. How on earth can you be a fan of the kind of cricket played in the IPL and not know what the word "slog" means?

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by thaughbaer
Someone who said that 5-a-side had ruined the EPL or that they were not interested in 5-a-side might be considered a snob.
I haven't said that IPL has "ruined" first class cricket. I have argued that the increasing emphasis on the skills that it requires will be at the expense of the skills that emerging players if the standard of first class cricket is to be maintained.

I am not interested in 5-a-side football, as it happens. If it's on TV I keep flicking till I find something else. How does this make me a snob?

F

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

To be more accurate you are completely dismissive of T20.
robbie seems to be completely dismissive of test cricket. Does that make him a snob?

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

Certainly there are a higher number of boundaries and sixes per ball than in test cricket. This does not mean that they are not quality batting shots. To call them "slogs" is disrespectful. These are the world's top batsmen showing levels of skill and innovation that only exist in T20.
I haven't been talking about "the world's top batsmen showing levels of skill". That people like Ricky Ponting are skillful is not disputed. I have been talking about the damage that a preponderance of T20 format games could do to the first class game producing Ricky Pontings in the future.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
If your interest is in T20 and not Tests, no one can expect you to understand what significance or extraordinary drama there was in Stuart Broad's innings and the match saving performances by Matt Prior and Ian Bell and others. No one expects you to understand ~ I certainly don't need you to ~ you've said that test cricket is not your area of interest. However, ...[text shortened]... icket; I have seen plenty of them. I can understand the appeal, I just don't need to see it.
No, I do understand. Stuart Broad did exactly what was needed of him in that situation in that match and for him and the other batsmen it was a considerable achievement. However, for the neutral, it probably wasn't exciting.

I can't speak for Robbie but the biggest single reason that I don't watch test cricket is the ECB sellout to Sky. I suspect the higher echelons of the ECB are some of the biggest complainants against T20 and the IPL and for them to now turn around and suggest that T20 is a threat to test cricket is the height of hypocrisy. They were quite happy to threaten test cricket when it lined their pockets.

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
robbie seems to be completely dismissive of test cricket. Does that make him a snob?
If that's his position then yes. But I don't think that's his position. He doesn't want test cricket gone.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

fine you dont like 20/20 or the IPL, but its hardly any less meaningless than other forms.
Good. See? We disagree. I don't really get why you have been trying to make this personal.

it has as yet not be proven to have any type of adverse effect on other forms

Well I've suggested how you can find out about this if you're interested in the topic.

some of the batsmen and bowlers that play in the IPL are the best in the world, some in the entire history of the game.

I have never disputed this. What I don't like is the format of the game that they are playing. If they were playing, say, a 5 overs-per-innings game you could just as equally pronounce that "some of the batsmen and bowlers that play [those 5 overs-per-innings games] are the best in the world, some in the entire history of the game".

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
I haven't been talking about "the world's top batsmen showing levels of skill". That people like Ricky Ponting are skillful is not disputed. I have been talking about the damage that a preponderance of T20 format games could do to the first class game producing Ricky Pontings in the future.
Ricky is well past his "best before" date. As a batsman he's misfired in the IPL. That T20 harms the first class game is only one of the things you have been talking about and it was not the one I was responding to.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

If that's his position then yes. But I don't think that's his position. He doesn't want test cricket gone.
Who wants T20 "gone"?

Here's my opening post again: "I am a lifelong fan of cricket but, having seen some of it, I cannot summon up any interest in the IPL. As for the T20 World Cup I believe I did read a match report on the final. I am aware of bums on seats considerations and income generation with T20 etc., but it's meaningless cricket to me. I hope it doesn't damage other formats of the game too much in cricketing terms."

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

Ricky is well past his "best before" date. As a batsman he's misfired in the IPL. That T20 harms the first class game is only one of the things you have been talking about and it was not the one I was responding to.
Ponting was just an example - one that robbie used - representing a player who prospered as a test player with test cricket skills. I would worry about young players not developing test cricket skills well if they were playing too much T20. When Ponting was learning his trade, there was no T20 like there is now.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

No, I do understand. Stuart Broad did exactly what was needed of him in that situation in that match and for him and the other batsmen it was a considerable achievement. However, for the neutral, it probably wasn't exciting.
I do not claim to be a neutral. Has that not been clear? I want first class cricket to prosper because I am a consumer of its product. I do not care for T20 so in so far as it is relevant to me, I hope the ascendancy of its skill set, and ethos does not detract from the first class cricket that I very much prefer.

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
meaningless = too many games causes the meaning of each game to be diluted in my opinion

inferior = Take a 20 year old who had played only 100 T20 games and ask him then to play a test match: believe, me he would be an inferior test player due to his playing experience

rather watch baseball = Yes I'd prefer to watch a game of baseball to an IPL game at any fan of the kind of cricket played in the IPL and not know what the word "slog" means?
you are absolutely correct, infidels like me should not be allowed near the T.V to watch
the bastardisation of cricket that the IPL obviously is. I'd never dream of putting
English summer fruits in my Pimms No1, crushed ice and lemonade, but id sure dollop
in some juicy mangoes!

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

I can't speak for Robbie but the biggest single reason that I don't watch test cricket is the ECB sellout to Sky. I suspect the higher echelons of the ECB are some of the biggest complainants against T20 and the IPL and for them to now turn around and suggest that T20 is a threat to test cricket is the height of hypocrisy. They were quite happy to threaten test cricket when it lined their pockets.
I haven't followed it closely but I was utterly appalled when test cricket was removed from terrestrial TV almost immediately upon England winning the Ashes in 2005, just as countless millions had been drawn into the game by the dramatic events on the field [hoping to make a few quid out of the surge in interest, presumably]. So I'm probably with you on the televising thing but if you're trying in any way to lump me in with "the higher echelons of the ECB" when I had nothing to do with their broadcasting contracts, then it won't wash. 🙂

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

you are absolutely correct, infidels like me should not be allowed near the T.V to watch the bastardisation of cricket that the IPL obviously is.
I have never suggested that you shouldn't watch IPL on your TV. I have said repeatedly that I accept and understand its appeal. I prefer the first class/test format in which there are provision for four innings and about 450 overs.

F

Moves
22 Apr 13

I'd never dream of putting English summer fruits in my Pimms No1, crushed ice and lemonade, but id sure dollop in some juicy mangoes!
Then don't do it, robbie. No one is saying you should.