Landlord using my wifi for cameras

Landlord using my wifi for cameras

Technology

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Feb 21

My landlord wants to install outdoor security cameras and use my wifi.

Anyone know if this is bad or not a problem?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
15 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said

The legal aspects depend very strongly on your home-country.

Moves
15 Feb 21

It's legal to put them outside.
Somebody broke into his garage but he wants to tap them into my wifi which just feels weird.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
15 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said
It's legal to put them outside.
Somebody broke into his garage but he wants to tap them into my wifi which just feels weird.
I was writing about the implications of having one network serving the purposes of another person.

Technologically speaking it is no problem at all. The question here is if you just want to lead through a signal or want to allow access.

Moves
15 Feb 21

That is the problem.
I looked online and couldn't find anything that would explain if he would have access or not.
I imagine he would because he would need to be able to watch video if need be and obviously it would be done on his phone or computer.

k

Moves
15 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said

From experiance. Don't do it

Moves
15 Feb 21

Explain please?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Feb 21

Ask him to split the wifi bill

Australia

Moves
16 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said

If your landlord provided your internet connection as part of the lease, would you object to using it knowing that it's available to both of you and your contribution to the cost is fixed?

Moves
16 Feb 21

I wouldn't use it.

I pay for my wifi and I don't like the idea of mine being used for security cameras.
I have nothing to protect and if anything did happen I would be dragged into court because my wifi recorded the event.

We decided not to do it.

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Feb 21
2 edits

@phil-a-dork said
I wouldn't use it.

I pay for my wifi and I don't like the idea of mine being used for security cameras.
I have nothing to protect and if anything did happen I would be dragged into court because my wifi recorded the event.

We decided not to do it.
Sorry if this is too late.

I see several issues.

1. If someone wants to piggy-back on your LAN, he is consuming shared bandwidth, so your link will run more slowly for the apps you want to run. You should be compensated for this, monetarily.

2. Any device which has access to your LAN is a potential security vulnerability. Any device, including cameras, can be hacked and malicious code can be executed on it by unauthorised parties. If that device is already behind your firewall, then it can potentially monitor or infect other devices, such as your pc or mobile phones which are also on the LAN. This problem can be ameliorated by sequestering the camera in a guest-access VLAN (virtual LAN) segment which the firewall shields from the rest of the devices on the LAN. Consult the manufacturer of your router/DSL modem for how to configure this functionality.

3. Legally, the landlord should manage and pay for his own WiFi for building security.

Moves
18 Feb 21

@moonbus

The security of my PC was why I started to question it.
I don't trust anybody 😉

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Feb 21

@Phil-A-Dork

A wise policy. Even the U.S. govt. has been hacked, and they should have known better.