How long do tourneys take to fill up? Octets

How long do tourneys take to fill up? Octets

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f

Moves
20 May 16

Why do the Octet tournaments take so long to fill up? You'd think there would be 8 players willing to play a tournament, but some only have 3 or 4 entrants, and the one I am entered in, the 1300-1325 band, has had 7/8 entrants for 4 days now with no one willing to take the final spot.

Seems strange to me. 😕

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
21 May 16

Originally posted by floattheriver
Why do the Octet tournaments take so long to fill up? You'd think there would be 8 players willing to play a tournament, but some only have 3 or 4 entrants, and the one I am entered in, the 1300-1325 band, has had 7/8 entrants for 4 days now with no one willing to take the final spot.

Seems strange to me. 😕
It depends on the opening

Australia

Moves
22 May 16
2 edits

Banded octets fill up in minutes if your rating is below 1200, but above that the narrow band restricts the number of players too much. Add the complication of a particular opening and it ensures there won't be enough players to make it work. But a grumble in this forum usually produces one or two competitors, as it appears to have done in your case.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
22 May 16

Originally posted by floattheriver

Seems strange to me. 😕
Octets means 14 new games at a stroke.
It's a lot to take on,particularly at a shorter timespan level although I've not looked at the one you mention