1. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 10:24
    Originally posted by Russ
    They are now enabled - but not in the message log.

-Russ
    How is this done Russ, do we need to learn the text format for various smilies??
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 10:44
    Currently, yes.

-Russ
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 13:43
    My "My Games" Greasemonkey script has stopped working. :'(

Russ, any chance you could incoporate these into RHP for the poor souls who don't use firefox? I have been using IE for this site over the past couple of weeks and it's interface is much poorer without the FF scripts.

D
  4. NSW
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 13:44
    Originally posted by Asthereal
    Please no don't do this!!!
    The analyse board is already way too good a method to analyse every position that thorowly and many people obviously don't even use it so I don't think it'd be fair to make it a complete analysis option. It should be there to look over some positions, not give the option of deciding a game over it. Just my opinion, but I'm reall ...[text shortened]... time ago, which'd help me pretty well, but now I just play because it's more fun anyway.
    Agreed!!
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 15:03
    Please no don't do this!!!
    The analyse board is already way too good a method to analyse every position that thorowly and many people obviously don't even use it so I don't think it'd be fair to make it a complete analysis option. It should be there to look over some positions, not give the option of deciding a game over it. Just my opinion, but I'm reall ...[text shortened]... time ago, which'd help me pretty well, but now I just play because it's more fun anyway.
    You do realise that this is correspondence chess, right?

Why force people to use pen an paper, or other software, when the functionality can be provided by the site?

D
  6. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 15:32
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    You do realise that this is correspondence chess, right?

Why force people to use pen an paper, or other software, when the functionality can be provided by the site?

D
    Do you realize that this is actually NOT correspondence chess, or at least not really? In correspondence chess it is normal and therefore in these days absolutely necessary to use chess-ENGINES, and guess what: that is not allowed here!! So: no real correspondence chess, just normal chess with very long timeouts.

If you feel that you need extensive analysis, then I recommend you use the board from chessbase, but not the database (that'd be unfair). The board has great possibilities to save lines and make your own tree of variations if you want. Adding the option on the site here is not necessary and I personally think it's unfair to those who would like to just play chess. If you want the highest possible level of play, try REAL correspondence chess with engines, books and chessbase, and leave us here play our bad but very nice little game.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 16:04
    Do you realize that this is actually NOT correspondence chess, or at least not really? In correspondence chess it is normal and therefore in these days absolutely necessary to use chess-ENGINES, and guess what: that is not allowed here!! So: no real correspondence chess, just normal chess with very long timeouts.

If you feel that you need extensive anal ...[text shortened]... s with engines, books and chessbase, and leave us here play our bad but very nice little game.
    🙄

D
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 16:55

If you feel that you need extensive anal ...[text shortened]... s with engines, books and chessbase, and leave us here play our bad but very nice little game.
    I agree.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 16:58
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I agree.
    With the "extensive anal" part? Or the bits where database use is unfair and REAL correspondence chess involves an engine?

D
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 17:45

You aren't making any sense.

1) This is a correspondence chess website. A site that allows engine usage in correspondence chess is simply an engine chess site (a.k.a. a pointless website).

2) Opening databases are allowed. Don't know if you knew that or not, but you didn't specify.

3) What about finding long variations in a game isn't "real chess"?

The whole point of correspondence chess is to allow as much time in between moves as desired, for analysis, study, opening training (often via databases), etc. There should be nothing wrong with taking that time to run through possible variations in a game. In fact, it would probably improve your play to have this option available since it would let you practice seeing the best move for both players in a given turn.
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 17:451 edit
    Or the bits where database use is unfair and REAL correspondence chess involves an engine?
    Lol... 😀
  12. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 17:571 edit
    My "My Games" Greasemonkey script has stopped working. :'(

Russ, any chance you could incoporate these into RHP for the poor souls who don't use firefox? I have been using IE for this site over the past couple of weeks and it's interface is much poorer without the FF scripts.

D
    Same here. This REALLY sucks.... 😞

Edit: 😞
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 18:151 edit
    With the "extensive anal" part? Or the bits where database use is unfair and REAL correspondence chess involves an engine?

D
    With everything he said.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 18:17
    It would be nice to consider the great FF greasemonkey scripts that are available on every release, but testing is a big enough chore without worrying about external stuff.

Hopefully, there is a quick fix, otherwise, someone message me with what is needed to resurrect them.

-Russ
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 19:51
    Originally posted by Russ
    It would be nice to consider the great FF greasemonkey scripts that are available on every release, but testing is a big enough chore without worrying about external stuff.

Hopefully, there is a quick fix, otherwise, someone message me with what is needed to resurrect them.

-Russ
    Why don't you just incorporate them into the site proper? The code is already written, and really there's no reason why some of the things added via greasemonkey shouldn't be there, ie: The "Insert ***" links below this post.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree