Daddystovepipe! Great slide guitar:

Daddystovepipe! Great slide guitar:

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jul 13

His song, Old School.

s

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSv9QJz2s3c

His song, Old School.
Excellent indeed!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Excellent indeed!
I'd like to know who his influences were. His style reminds me of Stefan Grossman, who taught Rory Block and was taught by Reverend Gary Davis, a real genius whom I was lucky enough to have had a couple lessons by a long time ago.

s

Moves
13 Jul 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I'd like to know who his influences were. His style reminds me of Stefan Grossman, who taught Rory Block and was taught by Reverend Gary Davis, a real genius whom I was lucky enough to have had a couple lessons by a long time ago.
America has always been blessed with musicians of the highest order, especially in real country music and blue grass, blues, big band, jazz and classical. There also are occasional great R&R musicians like Hendrix.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jul 13
3 edits

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
America has always been blessed with musicians of the highest order, especially in real country music and blue grass, blues, big band, jazz and classical. There also are occasional great R&R musicians like Hendrix.
Here is a video of Gary doing 'Candy Man' which Michael Cooney and I taped at an apartment of Jack and Marylynn Powell, who were the owners of "Circe's Cup' coffee house where I first heard the Reverend. Also playing that night was Stu Jameson, a genius in his own right. Stu is an expert on frailing banjo and was Gary's opening act that night. I got to be friends with Stu years later.

Michael and I had driven to our respective homes and grabbed tape decks and then showed up back at the Powell's apartment and we proceeded to tape Gary's playing, among them was this song Candy Man, which is a funny song but this video shows how he does it. I wish I had made a video, all Michael and I got was two audio tapes.

Here is another video, longer one of Gary. BTW, if you didn't know, he is blind. All the more amazing how he can play like that.

&feature=endscreen&NR=1

BTW, that beautiful Gibson he is playing, he let me play for a while at the Powell's.

Found this from Pete Seeger's tv show in the 60's. Rainbow quest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DQ536xET4rU&feature=endscreen