1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Apr '24 01:01
    @wildgrass said
    Why did they not save for retirement? Buncha moochers.
    Wgrass.....why indeed. There is someone here who is happy 'working for 20 hours a week', from which we can conclude a great life of fun, but seemingly unlikely to be setting much money aside in an investment that will support him when he is , well, to old to work, like Joe Biden. Biden is busily at work setting aside money to retire on comfortably on. So Joe and someone we know are going to retire, but the one we know we will have no 'savings', nothing throwing off dividends.
    So be facetious if you want to, but if someone does not plan for retirement, pray tell, do you think the government should support them?
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '24 01:20
    @averagejoe1 said
    Wgrass.....why indeed. There is someone here who is happy 'working for 20 hours a week', from which we can conclude a great life of fun, but seemingly unlikely to be setting much money aside in an investment that will support him when he is , well, to old to work, like Joe Biden. Biden is busily at work setting aside money to retire on comfortably on. So Joe and someo ...[text shortened]... if someone does not plan for retirement, pray tell, do you think the government should support them?
    Nah. Im a goobermint minimalist. Everything except r&d should be defunded. Mott does though. Loves government entitlements. Talk to him about profligate spending.
  3. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Apr '24 11:521 edit
    @mott-the-hoople said
    … its biden tho and you defend him cutting services to the elderly.
    Sonhouse asks who needs medicare,, just above. Someone please answer him, I am exhausted.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '24 18:47
    @AverageJoe1
    Too exhausted to take remedial reading comprehension 101. AGAIN, look up this pesky word, 'Sarcasm'. You even weaponize that, did you really think you were going to somehow get debate brownie points for that one? Sorry, I disturbed your golf lessons. How much do they charge for those lessons anyway?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 10:52
    @averagejoe1 said
    How come a romanian speaks perfect english but i know of no american who speaks romanian? Not a word. I have no idea how to say 'yes in romania. Or Shav-like words.
    Intelege?
    Doesn't that speak to relative intelligence? You know, like you constantly claiming you don't understand what people are saying?

I'm guessing it's because schools in Europe are not run by people expecting a profit?
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 11:52
    @averagejoe1 said
    So be facetious if you want to, but if someone does not plan for retirement, pray tell, do you think the government should support them?
    When you retire, the double-tap of losing employer-provided health care insurance AND a salary is too much. SS pension is enough to cover basic housing and food, but comes nowhere close to covering medical insurance - let alone deductibles and co-pays.

Government has driven healthcare costs through the roof through over-regulation. It has also driving housing prices through the roof by preventing low-cost housing being built where retirees could go.

Without Medicare, seniors would not be getting any healthcare - because government has made it too expensive for a retired person to pay for out-of-pocket.

Retiring with $100k won't cut it. Retiring with $500k won't cut it. Without Medicare, there are only two viable "plans" you can make: have millions in the bank, or work until you die.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 11:55
    @suzianne said
    Doesn't that speak to relative intelligence? You know, like you constantly claiming you don't understand what people are saying?

I'm guessing it's because schools in Europe are not run by people expecting a profit?
    “I'm guessing it's because schools in Europe are not run by people expecting a profit?”
    😂 #GOODUN
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 12:09
    @spruce112358 said
    When you retire, the double-tap of losing employer-provided health care insurance AND a salary is too much. SS pension is enough to cover basic housing and food, but comes nowhere close to covering medical insurance - let alone deductibles and co-pays.

Government has driven healthcare costs through the roof through over-regulation. It has also driving housing prices t ...[text shortened]... e, there are only two viable "plans" you can make: have millions in the bank, or work until you die.
    “Government has driven healthcare costs through the roof through over-regulation. It has also driving housing prices through the roof by preventing low-cost housing being built where retirees could go. ”

give some examples
  9. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 12:32
    @mott-the-hoople said
    “Government has driven healthcare costs through the roof through over-regulation. It has also driving housing prices through the roof by preventing low-cost housing being built where retirees could go. ”

give some examples
    Oooof. I have things to do today..

Quickly: housing is restricted by zoning and permits - lower supply, higher prices. Demand is driven up with loans: VA loans, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, etc. - higher demand, higher prices. Higher house prices means higher property tax - yay! Giving into NIMBY's who don't like apartments and granny flats and duplexes being built near them - more votes, yay!

Medicine: Licensing. OK, first, you can't even TALK about medicine. If you do, it is "practicing medicine". No one can do that unless gummint says its ok. Next, "Certificates of need." Gummint says where you can open a clinic and what it can do. If gummint says "we don't need that," then you can't. Restricts competition.

Second are prescription drugs. You can't just buy them, and you can't just buy them from who has them. The drug industry is heavily protected from competition by gummint - so they can charge what they want.

Third, technology should be driving the cost of healthcare down to almost nothing - but gummint won't let it. I should be able to get on my laptop with a perfectly competent Indian physician, drop my trousers and say, "does that look right?" And then go buy a drug to feel better. Gummint says 'No.'

Just the tip of the iceberg.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 14:53
    @spruce112358 said
    Oooof. I have things to do today..

Quickly: housing is restricted by zoning and permits - lower supply, higher prices. Demand is driven up with loans: VA loans, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, etc. - higher demand, higher prices. Higher house prices means higher property tax - yay! Giving into NIMBY's who don't like apartments and granny flats and duplexes being built nea ...[text shortened]... ok right?" And then go buy a drug to feel better. Gummint says 'No.'

Just the tip of the iceberg.
    there was a time when there was none of this…then came civilization.

I’m not against regulation, it is the over regulation that I don’t like.

None of your listings is “over regulation”, it is necessary to maintain life and civility.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 15:36
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    What regulation do you approve of?
  12. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 16:19
    @mott-the-hoople said
    there was a time when there was none of this…then came civilization.

I’m not against regulation, it is the over regulation that I don’t like.

None of your listings is “over regulation”, it is necessary to maintain life and civility.
    I don't think banning granny from living over the garage is necessary to preserve civilization. 😀
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '24 19:43
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    Says the dude(?) with the 5th grade education.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '24 11:42
    @spruce112358 said
    I don't think banning granny from living over the garage is necessary to preserve civilization. 😀
    who said it was?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 08:49
    @averagejoe1 said
    How come a romanian speaks perfect english but i know of no american who speaks romanian? Not a word. I have no idea how to say 'yes in romania. Or Shav-like words.
    Intelege?
    because romanians didn't have an entire continent to plunder and native populations to genocide until turning into a super power

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree