1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 20:57
    If we have a $50 minimum wage, this is what happens. I am just here to help.

Nothing is cheaper, except money, which becomes cheaper.

OK: Businesses pay employees $50 an hour. No matter what business, I assume?
    So, the costs will rise to what the market will bear.....McDonalds will have to raise the hamburger Seven (7) times more than it costs now. So, roughly $80. If they don't, they cannot make enough to pay their employees. Bitch, aint it?
    Then, liberals will call for price controls, which kills investments, which calls for a collapse in the supply of everything, which is when liberals will call for rationing. Yeah, a bitch isn't it. Do you fellers have any idea about this simple scenario?

There is an upside though!!!! It will remind all of the people from Mexico, (or wherever the hell they are coming from) of HOME!!!!!!!!

If anyone thinks we should go with the 50, or 60, or 70, whatever, please tell us how that would work so that we do not become VenezuelaHere is this stupid woman, she says do the math. Uhh, I just did.

Here is this entertaining link. I am told by the Forum that this person is my equal and Kev's equal. How can he and I be equal to the same person?

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/do-the-math-democratic-rep-tries-to-explain-her-50-minimum-wage-proposal-to-befuddled-rivals-during-senate-debate/
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 21:59
    Joe, no name, no link, but if it's Barbara Lee, YOU ALREADY HAVE A THREAD ON IT.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 23:16
    @averagejoe1 said
    If we have a $50 minimum wage, this is what happens. I am just here to help.

Nothing is cheaper, except money, which becomes cheaper.

OK: Businesses pay employees $50 an hour. No matter what business, I assume?
    So, the costs will rise to what the market will bear.....McDonalds will have to raise the hamburger Seven (7) times more than it costs now. So, roughl ...[text shortened]... mocratic-rep-tries-to-explain-her-50-minimum-wage-proposal-to-befuddled-rivals-during-senate-debate/
    Thousands of full time employees at Amazon are on food stamps Joe.

You're already paying for it.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 23:20
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Joe, no name, no link, but if it's Barbara Lee, YOU ALREADY HAVE A THREAD ON IT.
    Well, that thread did not explain the stupidity of liberal thought when they rave on about minimum wage. So I thought that this would do it. Funny, the link appears in my cell phone RHP. Oh well, I prob did not make much headway with my explanation, doggone it.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 23:23
    @wildgrass said
    Thousands of full time employees at Amazon are on food stamps Joe.

You're already paying for it.
    I don’t see how that is a response to my clear explanation of why NOT to increase the wage. If it makes sense to you, can you tell your followers, or tell us all what is wrong with it. Once that is settled, we can go into ‘fair share’?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 23:31
    https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/why-is-san-diego-the-most-expensive-us-city-check-criteria-and-rankings-of-other-places/articleshow/104781417.cms

California has the second highest rent prices in the country, the second most expensive houses and mortgage rates.

Cali also has the #1 highest cost of food, and the 7 of the top 10 most expensive cities in America, including San Diego, the most expensive city to live in.

I do not agree with a $50 minimum wage and neither do her Democrat rivals, since they all laughed at her on stage.

But unless something drastic happens California will be unliveable. The cost of housing is why California had a severe homelessness crisis.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 00:00
    @vivify said
    https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/why-is-san-diego-the-most-expensive-us-city-check-criteria-and-rankings-of-other-places/articleshow/104781417.cms

California has the second highest rent prices in the country, the second most expensive houses and mortgage rates.

Cali also has the #1 highest cost of food, and the 7 of the top 10 most expensive cities in ...[text shortened]... ifornia will be unliveable. The cost of housing is why California had a severe homelessness crisis.
    I am not a fan of wasted silly glib posts, it is better to be serious. This is not meant to be cute, but why does someone scrap out a life in California, from the homeless to the midclass, when for a bus ticket, they can be Idaho. I would LOVE to live in Idaho?
    I just don't get it. It happens that I have a relative in those oil fields, makes good money. That is not why I am writing, eveyone has diff lives, but would you rather wander on the concrete streets of SFrancisco, or step off a bus in Idaho.
    I would like a serious discussion on this.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 07:41
    @averagejoe1 said
    I am not a fan of wasted silly glib posts, it is better to be serious. This is not meant to be cute, but why does someone scrap out a life in California, from the homeless to the midclass, when for a bus ticket, they can be Idaho. I would LOVE to live in Idaho?
    I just don't get it. It happens that I have a relative in those oil fields, makes good money. That is not ...[text shortened]... te streets of SFrancisco, or step off a bus in Idaho.
    I would like a serious discussion on this.
    An oppressive (read "conservative", as in red state) government for one thing.

Go ahead, be black in Idaho and see how far you get.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 08:181 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Now if you could get on with changing his man diapers that would be great
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 14:11
    @vivify said

Cali also has the #1 highest cost of food, and the 7 of the top 10 most expensive cities in ...[text shortened]... ifornia will be unliveable. The cost of housing is why California had a severe homelessness crisis.
    Nobody is being forced to live in California. If it's too expensive to live in San Diego, then leave San Diego. What's the big deal? People move for economic reasons all the time.

The idea of minimum wage providing a living wage entirely misses two central points:

1. Employers can only pay employees up to a little less than the value they generate to the employer (otherwise, what's the point?)

2. Not every job is meant for a sole breadwinner. Some are for young people living with their parents. Some are for second incomes. Some are for people working their way up.

Either way, minimum wages have nothing to do with how much the recipient needs.
  11. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 14:21
    @suzianne said
    An oppressive (read "conservative", as in red state) government for one thing.

Go ahead, be black in Idaho and see how far you get.
    You racist, you. So tell us what you think about this idiot,,,,,,,if you saw the clip, she was asked if such a wage were 'sustainable'. For her 60 seconds, she NEVER answered the question. See it for yourself. She NEVER answered the question.

As I always say, libs do not answer questions. And would you , Sueher, want her, or someone like here (any liberal) as your senator?
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 15:51
    @sh76 said
    Nobody is being forced to live in California. If it's too expensive to live in San Diego, then leave San Diego. What's the big deal? People move for economic reasons all the time.

The idea of minimum wage providing a living wage entirely misses two central points:

1. Employers can only pay employees up to a little less than the value they generate to the employer (otherwis ...[text shortened]... ing their way up.

Either way, minimum wages have nothing to do with how much the recipient needs.
    Moving to a different state is more difficult for some than others. Most people need a family member to stay with while getting settled. Not everyone can afford travel, whether that means a plain ticket or being able to secure a vehicle.

If moving to a different state was as simple as you make it sound, the whole country would move to the rural mid-west.

I agree that minimum wage increase alone is not the answer. There are structural changes that need to be made.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 16:131 edit
    @AverageJoe1
    Yeah, how DARE those subhumans for DARING to want a better life.

You weaponize any POS statement by a deadhead and think that will buy you votes or happiness.
  14. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 17:17
    @sonhouse said
    @AverageJoe1
    Yeah, how DARE those subhumans for DARING to want a better life.

You weaponize any POS statement by a deadhead and think that will buy you votes or happiness.
    You writing to me? Its Avjoe. Who you writin' to, I will forward it for you.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 18:141 edit
    @vivify said
    Moving to a different state is more difficult for some than others. Most people need a family member to stay with while getting settled. Not everyone can afford travel, whether that means a plain ticket or being able to secure a vehicle.

If moving to a different state was as simple as you make it sound, the whole country would move to the rural mid-west.

I agree th ...[text shortened]... t minimum wage increase alone is not the answer. There are structural changes that need to be made.
    You're talking about the population of people who have employment or skills to make more than the minimum wage but less than the cost of living in California cities. These people are certainly capable of moving to another city if they want to.

Travel costs almost nothing if you're willing to take the inter-city bus system (which I've done, incidentally). It's not the most comfortable travel in the world, but it's manageable.

People don't move to the rural midwest, ny and large, because they don't want that lifestyle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree