Center for a Stateless Society article

Center for a Stateless Society article

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
08 Nov 14

Originally posted by whodey
Yes, but I never said that ALL of your personal freedoms should be protected IF it infringes on the freedoms of others, did I?

Instead, I've consistantly said that laws should be passed with great trepidation, because they restrict personal freedom.
I wonder if any amount of explanation will get through to a control freak like KN?

w

Moves
08 Nov 14

Originally posted by normbenign
I wonder if any amount of explanation will get through to a control freak like KN?
Get through to KN?

What is there to get through when you are enlightened and have all the answers. At that point all you need is an army to force everyone to do the "right thing".

K

Germany

Moves
08 Nov 14

There are freedoms which may actually harm other people's ability to make choices. Laws limiting force and fraud to the minimum increase overall liberty while at the same time limiting the freedom of some individual. The DOI tells us that governments are formed to protect individual rights. When government goes too far, human individual rights are harmed.
"[some] laws [...] increase overall liberty [...]"

Exactly my point. So you disagree with whodey's claim that all laws decrease liberty.

w

Moves
08 Nov 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
[b]"[some] laws [...] increase overall liberty [...]"

Exactly my point. So you disagree with whodey's claim that all laws decrease liberty.[/b]
Take the 10 commandments, for example.

They are a list of rules to help maintain a civil society. Through that civil society you can be free to live devoid of fear of harm. But to maintain this civil society, you must abide by the rules, thus restricting your own freedom.

However, in a lawless society your freedom rests upon the ability to coerce and/or kill others to have your will be done, never knowing who might knife you in the back.

So on the one hand, your freedoms are restricted, but arguably it enhances your overall freedom if you are able to trust others to work together with you for your own benefit. This is what collectivism is all about.

So it all boils down to having a moral society whom you can trust. Does this moral society come about by a government that passes about 40,000 new regulations and laws per year?

Z

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by no1marauder
Is there ANY empirical evidence for that assertion?

The idea that the entire Western economy would have collapsed if some companies weren't protected from the consequences of their own folly is absurd. There were much better uses for the trillions of dollars tossed to these idiots. And even with that foolish policy, the world economy sunk into a sever ...[text shortened]... o start killing each other if the uber rich aren't protected from their own stupidity is absurd.
"Is there ANY empirical evidence for that assertion?"
empirical evidence for something that didn't happen? no, other than all the economists crapping their pants at the ripple effects caused by AIG's hypothetical fall, no evidence.

"The idea that everyone in the world is going to start killing each other if the uber rich aren't protected from their own stupidity is absurd"
it is absurd.also not quite what i said.

"And even with that foolish policy, the world economy sunk into a severe recession who's effects are still being felt"
without it it would have been worse

"The idea that the entire Western economy would have collapsed if some companies"
AIG and other such mammoths aren't "some companies"

the problem lies with the american philosophy that any control is tyranny, that any interference from the government is evil. that free market economy must be as free as possible.

the problem wasn't with that bailout, it was the best solution at that moment.
the problem lies with how little it has been done to prevent future abuse.

i quite agree we are possibly headed towards bailout number 2. then 3. would you like to tell americans free market doesn't mean rich asholes getting whatever they want?

bear in mind we are talking about a nation that won't change to the metric system because it is too hard.

Z

Moves
09 Nov 14

The entire population of the civilized world aren't children, especially high level executives. Treating them as children assures they will continue to behave that way.
do you say that with a straight face after your kids played with a system they didn't understand, broke countless economics rules, just to make a buck. and when it blew up in their faces they came crying to uncle sam to replace their toys?

those people you consider being treated unfairly?

i thoroughly enjoy you making an idiot out of yourself, again and again.

Z

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by whodey
Take the 10 commandments, for example.

They are a list of rules to help maintain a civil society. Through that civil society you can be free to live devoid of fear of harm. But to maintain this civil society, you must abide by the rules, thus restricting your own freedom.

However, in a lawless society your freedom rests upon the ability to coerce and/ ...[text shortened]... l society come about by a government that passes about 40,000 new regulations and laws per year?
yes. because you are not moses and you are not living in the desert in ancient times.

now it is necessary to pass a regulation so that your neighbour doesn't play his new boombox at 3 am.

when you can't rely on common sense to guide someone, and you can't, you need rules for every minor thing.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
"Is there ANY empirical evidence for that assertion?"
empirical evidence for something that didn't happen? no, other than all the economists crapping their pants at the ripple effects caused by AIG's hypothetical fall, no evidence.

"The idea that everyone in the world is going to start killing each other if the uber rich aren't protected from their own ...[text shortened]... ind we are talking about a nation that won't change to the metric system because it is too hard.
I meant this assertion:

we are leaving in the most peaceful period in human history.

The rest of your claims are unpersuasive to say the least; many economists, like Nobel Prize winner Joseph Stiglitz, opposed the bailouts and said the affected firms should have went through bankruptcy. That these giant firms convinced people like you of their indispensability doesn't make it true.

T

Moves
09 Nov 14

when you can't rely on common sense to guide someone, and you can't, you need rules for every minor thing.
“When you break the big laws, you do not get liberty; you do not even get anarchy. You get the small laws.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Z

Moves
09 Nov 14

I meant this assertion:

we are leaving in the most peaceful period in human history.

The rest of your claims are unpersuasive to say the least; many economists, like Nobel Prize winner Joseph Stiglitz, opposed the bailouts and said the affected firms should have went through bankruptcy. That these giant firms convinced people like you of their indispensability doesn't make it true.
"we are leaving in the most peaceful period in human history."

number of large scale conflicts
number of wars between nations
number of war casualties compared to population
number of democracies

factors that do not contribute directly:
state of medicine
state of science
literacy
information flow

don't believe me? google "we are living in the most peaceful time ever" and read opinions.

"That these giant firms convinced people like you of their indispensability doesn't make it true."
lehman brothers and others were left to fail. AIG's bankruptcy would have been significantly more unpleasant.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Nov 14
1 edit

"we are leaving in the most peaceful period in human history."

number of large scale conflicts
number of wars between nations
number of war casualties compared to population
number of democracies

factors that do not contribute directly:
state of medicine
state of science
literacy
information flow

don't believe me? google "we are living i ...[text shortened]... s and others were left to fail. AIG's bankruptcy would have been significantly more unpleasant.
AIG is currently suing the US government for $40 billion claiming that the terms of the bailout were too harsh. Even after the bailout, corporate executives at AIG handed out tens of millions of dollars in bonuses to themselves based on their "performance".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-federal-government-gets-sued-for-saving-aig/2014/10/13/3e0db462-50c1-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

This is the type of behavior the bailouts legitimized. When you reward such recklessness, incompetence and gall you tend to get more of it.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Nov 14

$90 billion was funneled to banks from AIG after it received the taxpayer bailout. Supposedly this was necessary so that these entities would continue to lend and thus lessen the damage done to the national economy. Instead:

Lending by the banking industry fell by $587 billion, or 7.5 percent, in 2009, the largest annual decline since the 1940s,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/23/AR2010022302120.html

Real GDP growth for 2009 was -3.1%.

The people of the US would have been better served by a creation of a government entity that directly loaned to consumers and (esp.) businesses rather than tossing $700+ billion to incompetent fat cats and their bloated corporations and banks.

Z

Moves
09 Nov 14

AIG is currently suing the US government for $40 billion claiming that the terms of the bailout were too harsh. Even after the bailout, corporate executives at AIG handed out tens of millions of dollars in bonuses to themselves based on their "performance".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-federal-government-gets-sued-for-saving-aig/2014/10/ ...[text shortened]... egitimized. When you reward such recklessness, incompetence and gall you tend to get more of it.
"AIG is currently suing the US government for $40 billion claiming that the terms of the bailout were too harsh."

yeh, found that hilarious.

"When you reward such recklessness, incompetence and gall you tend to get more of it."
yep, it sucks.

Z

Moves
09 Nov 14
1 edit

$90 billion was funneled to banks from AIG after it received the taxpayer bailout. Supposedly this was necessary so that these entities would continue to lend and thus lessen the damage done to the national economy. Instead:

Lending by the banking industry fell by $587 billion, or 7.5 percent, in 2009, the largest annual decline since the 1940s,

ht ...[text shortened]... her than tossing $700+ billion to incompetent fat cats and their bloated corporations and banks.
"The people of the US would have been better served by a creation of a government entity that directly loaned to consumers."
i agree.

some americans would have seen that as government tampering, ignoring the fact that the money came from the government (which means the citizens themselves) in the first place

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
[b]"[some] laws [...] increase overall liberty [...]"

Exactly my point. So you disagree with whodey's claim that all laws decrease liberty.[/b]
Every prohibition limits liberty, but I'd just as soon limit liberty to commit murder, theft, and fraud. Read that DOI preamble. It pretty well explains the purpose of government.