1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 19:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    This happens under every tyrannical regime in history.

They can force you what to do and then force you what to say. At this point, only fools dare speak their mind.
    I guess that makes me a fool.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 20:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I guess that makes me a fool.
    Did you see how Putin is restricting internet use? He is insisting that people log in at public web sites in order to know who is saying what. This is how despots work.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 21:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    Did you see how Putin is restricting internet use? He is insisting that people log in at public web sites in order to know who is saying what. This is how despots work.
    This is how all liberals work.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 21:09
    I didn't read the article, just responded to your original post.

Can I help if you can't give an accurate representation of the article?
    i made a thread and posted a link to the article. it is not my job to spoon feed you
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 21:10
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i made a thread and posted a link to the article. it is not my job to spoon feed you
    It's not my job to placate you.

I stated my opinion, get over it and get over yourself.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 00:20
    It's not my job to placate you.

I stated my opinion, get over it and get over yourself.
    this is precisely the point of this thread. you talked out of your ass without the full picture, without anything to back it .

behaviour like this is harmful when it is done in an academic setting or on a tv program that is supposed to inform. because of this, people deny evolution, climate change, vaccination benefits, because they hear about it equally when in fact someone not believing in evolution should be granted the exact same attention as someone believing harry potter is a documentary about historical events concerning the magical and muggle communities in the UK.

it is harmless when you do it, because these forums have no purpose other than recreational and we already know you are a moron.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 02:341 edit
    I rarely click on links in forum threads, but this one was definitely worth my time. Not only is the article itself well written and well thought out, but even the comments are worth reading. An example:

"My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge!" is a growing (and scary) attitude in our country and media. I feel like this article does a good job of explaining that concept."

The discussion is not actually about whether you're entitled to your opinion - of course you are - but whether you have the right to equal airtime for your uninformed opinion in a public discussion, where the effect of that equal airtime is to give equal weight to what you have to say, against that of a person who has a well-researched and well-documented position on the topic under discussion.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 03:143 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I rarely click on links in forum threads, but this one was definitely worth my time. Not only is the article itself well written and well thought out, but even the comments are worth reading. An example:

"My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge!" is a growing (and scary) attitude in our country and media. I feel like this article does a good job o ...[text shortened]... f a person who has a well-researched and well-documented position on the topic under discussion.
    That's right Kewpie everyone is entitled to an opinion but they're not entitled to force others to provide a forum for that opinion.

So Stokes who exercises some control in his classroom stipulates the conditions for using the classroom forum. i.e. if you have an opinion on something you might need to quote some basis for that opinion. No problem.

The article also refers to the ABC "Australia's national public broadcaster." Now the problems begin, you see the ABC belongs to the state and must operate under a charter giving airtime to different views. This ostensibly is to give it an appearance of neutrality. No surprises though that it is constantly under attack for it's left leaning bias and 'woe to us all, the climate is frying us' scare stories, all the pollies want to get their hands on the controls so they can use it to tell everyone what a great job they're doing and how they need to expand their power.

edit: ...and it presents an opportunity (rightfully, under the charter) for people like the anti-immunisation crowd to demand their share.

All media has bias, that's exactly as it should be. And bias here can be taken to mean all media reflects the opinions of some person, board, etc. Anything else would require a bureau of censorship which would in turn be regulated based on, you guessed it, someone's opinion.

The answer is that the state has absolutely no business being in the media business, it's just too open to abuse. Let Stokes set the conditions for his classroom, and let this thread die because it is totally pointless, it's like saying "there are no square circles."
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 06:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 06:43
    http://www.theonion.com/video/breaking-news-some-bullshyt-happening-somewhere,16928/

You'll need to change the y in bullshyt, it was censored ;^)
  11. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 09:53
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    That's right Kewpie everyone is entitled to an opinion but they're not entitled to force others to provide a forum for that opinion.

So Stokes who exercises some control in his classroom stipulates the conditions for using the classroom forum. i.e. if you have an opinion on something you might need to quote some basis for that opinion. No problem.

Th ...[text shortened]... this thread die because it is totally pointless, it's like saying "there are no square circles."
    2 + 2 = 4. This is correct.

2 + 2 = 5. This is false. If you have an opinion otherwise, then your opinion is not one we need to take seriously. You have a problem and need to go away and learn some arithmetic before we are required to take your opinion seriously. If someone claims to teach you arithmetic but teaches you that 2 + 2 = 5, then your resulting opinion is still false and we still do not take your opinion seriously. We may also point out to you that you have chosen an unqualified, incompetent teacher.

If a public broadcaster were to present a lesson in arithmetic it should not be required, in the interest of balance, to explain that there is a teacher somewhere who thinks 2 + 2 = 5 and that there is a member of the public out there who thinks that is the case. All that attempt at "balance" could achieve would be to confuse people and lend credibility to a ridiculous point of view lacking in competent support. Instead of educating the public, such an approach to balance would leave the public less well informed than before.

Curiously enough, research has found that people watching Fox news know LESS than people who do not watch any news at all. So indeed, the presentation of stupid points of view is not a public service but a disservice.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-less-informed-people-fairleigh-dickinson_n_1106305.html

http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2014/02/07/study-people-who-dont-watch-the-news-are-more-informed-than-fox-viewers/
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 11:071 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    2 + 2 = 4. This is correct.

2 + 2 = 5. This is false. If you have an opinion otherwise, then your opinion is not one we need to take seriously. You have a problem and need to go away and learn some arithmetic before we are required to take your opinion seriously. If someone claims to teach you arithmetic but teaches you that 2 + 2 = 5, then your resulti ...[text shortened]... treetwise.co/2014/02/07/study-people-who-dont-watch-the-news-are-more-informed-than-fox-viewers/
    I think you made a mistake using the 'reply and quote' function. None of what you said has anything to do with my post.

Probably just letting your fingers skitter around the keyboard again.
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 11:14
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I think you made a mistake using the 'reply and quote' function. None of what you said has anything to do with my post.

Probably just letting your fingers skitter around the keyboard again.
    No mistake.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 18:53
    Originally posted by Kewpie

"My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge!" is a growing (and scary) attitude in our country and media. I feel like this article does a good job o ...[text shortened]... f a person who has a well-researched and well-documented position on the topic under discussion.
    I guess the OP wasn't bright enough to understand the article.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 19:13
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    this is precisely the point of this thread. you talked out of your ass without the full picture, without anything to back it .

behaviour like this is harmful when it is done in an academic setting or on a tv program that is supposed to inform. because of this, people deny evolution, climate change, vaccination benefits, because they hear about it equally ...[text shortened]... ecause these forums have no purpose other than recreational and we already know you are a moron.
    It seems that you have no problem when you talk out your ass, but I guess that just goes to prove your hypocrisy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree