Moves
    09 Jan '14 18:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 06:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Don't you know that mathematics is a typical hobby of the liberal elite?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 08:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Apparently, Hitler was the first to decide that maths should be mandatory. And so the seeds of fascism were sown!
  4. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:07
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Apparently, Hitler was the first to decide that maths should be mandatory. And so the seeds of fascism were sown!
    I see. And the Endlösung refers to the solution of a mathematical problem. It all makes sense now.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:40
    You both try to make the simple more complex. If the organization owns its property, it still could operate at lower cost outside of Washington, DC, unless there is a reason for operating in that environment.

As previously mentioned, an organization's name often has little or nothing to do with its reason d'etre. For example IPS (Institute for Policy Studies) sounds pretty neutral. It isn't.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:47
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You both try to make the simple more complex. If the organization owns its property, it still could operate at lower cost outside of Washington, DC, unless there is a reason for operating in that environment.

As previously mentioned, an organization's name often has little or nothing to do with its reason d'etre. For example IPS (Institute for Policy Studies) sounds pretty neutral. It isn't.
    It's still an Argumentum ad Vestibulum.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:51

There are more considerations than just cost. For instance, an NGO might want to be based in Washington DC because it is easier to lobby Congress. Or they might want to be based there because there are many people with good administrative skills. It's very cheap to run an office in Hicksville, Tenessee, but you might not be able to operate as effectively from there.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:03
    There are more considerations than just cost. For instance, an NGO might want to be based in Washington DC because it is easier to lobby Congress. Or they might want to be based there because there are many people with good administrative skills. It's very cheap to run an office in Hicksville, Tenessee, but you might not be able to operate as effectively from there.
    Precisely the point I was making.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:041 edit
    Precisely the point I was making.
    Precisely? So you are retracting "propaganda"?
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:04
    Originally posted by JS357
    It's still an Argumentum ad Vestibulum.
    Perhaps, but given the nature of their table, it is reasonable to question the integrity and process of arriving at conclusions.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:081 edit
    Perhaps, but given the nature of their table, it is reasonable to question the integrity and process of arriving at conclusions.
    I referred you to a link and excerpted a description of the process from it. You are basing your objection largely on the results, why not say so.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:151 edit
    Precisely? So you are retracting "propaganda"?
    No, that is simply another possible motivation, and a likely one for locating in DC.
    ".......you might not be able to operate as effectively from there."
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:18
    I referred you to a link and excerpted a description of the process from it.
    Sure and I believe, as I recall, I pointed out it was survey based, that is opinions and not empirical data. Washington, DC is pockmarked with groups with official sounding names, a website, a letterhead, which exist to produce tables like that one. They are from both sides of the political divide.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 20:053 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 20:50
    Sure and I believe, as I recall, I pointed out it was survey based, that is opinions and not empirical data. Washington, DC is pockmarked with groups with official sounding names, a website, a letterhead, which exist to produce tables like that one. They are from both sides of the political divide.
    The use of measures of empirical data (such as, say, the percentage of the population behind bars, or average life expectancy, or weeks of vacation) would itself be subject to criticism on two counts: the choice of measures and their relative weighting. People who want to dismiss the results on the basis that the source has interests that require involvement in the political world, must dismiss almost everything they hear. I don't see you doing that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree