1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 18:32
    Originally posted by sh76
    If you want to complain about illegals, that's one thing. But to complain about the "foreign born" is xenophobic, bigoted and invidious discrimination.

People who are here legally have every right to compete for jobs on the same terms that native born people do. If they win the competition because of superior training, diligence or willingness to work for less, that's too bad on the people they beat out.
    It is impossible to know who is illegal and who is foreign born. It is part of the problem.

Since this problem is rooted in part by people like yourself I can see why you really do not care.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 18:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It is impossible to know who is illegal and who is foreign born. It is part of the problem.

Since this problem is rooted in part by people like yourself I can see why you really do not care.
    How is it impossible? If you can produce citizenship papers of LPR papers or a legitimate visa, you're here legally. Otherwise, you're not.

I don't have any idea what the last sentence means.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 18:55
    How is it impossible? If you can produce citizenship papers of LPR papers or a legitimate visa, you're here legally. Otherwise, you're not.

Elly thinks that anybody who speaks Spanish in the US is certainly an illegal alien so you're not likely to get much traction with him by being logical.

It may be questioned in a country with high levels of un and underemployment whether allowing high levels of even legal immigration is a wise policy though.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 20:00

Employers are not allowed to ask for papers unless they ask for proof of citizenship for all.

They are not required to ask, so why bother?

The US government doesn't care and if it isn't enforced then we don't know. It is as simple as that.

You can choose to put your head in the ground if you wish. I probably helps you sleep better at night.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 20:16
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Elly thinks that anybody who speaks Spanish in the US is certainly an illegal alien so you're not likely to get much traction with him by being logical.

It may be questioned in a country with high levels of un and underemployment whether allowing high levels of even legal immigration is a wise policy though.
    Fortunately, ensuring full employment is very easy regardless of immigration levels.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 20:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Fortunately, ensuring full employment is very easy regardless of immigration levels.
    Yeah everybody's doing it.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 20:53
    That's your problem, you think such things can be ensured as long as the government is doing it.

All you can really do is put into place good policy and let the market do what it will.

Bringing in slave labor to undercut your work force's wages isn't good policy, at least for those who are working.

But hey, coming from Europe I can see why you don't think working is so important.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:23
    Employers are not allowed to ask for papers unless they ask for proof of citizenship for all.

They are not required to ask, so why bother?

The US government doesn't care and if it isn't enforced then we don't know. It is as simple as that.

You can choose to put your head in the ground if you wish. I probably helps you sleep better at night.
    U.S. law requires companies to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States – either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization. This diverse workforce contributes greatly to the vibrancy and strength of our economy, but that same strength also attracts unauthorized employment.

E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify is fast, free and easy to use – and it’s the best way employers can ensure a legal workforce.

http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:25
    Is this going to be one of those cryptic things that sounds completely ridiculous but you don't bother to explain because it's beneath you to state the obvious?

If so, I'll bite.

How?
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Agreed, but our immigration laws are fairly strict from what I can tell and visas are appropriated at least partially in a manner that stimulates the economy by allowing in capital and people with skills that are needed.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:34
    U.S. law requires companies to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States – either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization. This diverse workforce contributes greatly to the vibrancy and strength of our economy, but that same strength also attracts unauthorized employment.

E-Verify is an Internet- ...[text shortened]... ’s the best way employers can ensure a legal workforce.

http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify
    What country have you been living in? One not run by Obama?

What does it matter what the law says? You are really putting your head in the sand.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:37
    What country have you been living in? One not run by Obama?

What does it matter what the law says? You are really putting your head in the sand.
    I haven't seen a survey, but I see the "we use e-verify" signs in shops all the time, especially in high immigrant areas such as New York (where I live) and Phoenix (where I spend a lot of time).

The USCIS is not great at enforcing immigration rules against employers; but it never was. What indication do you have that the USCIS under Obama is doing a poorer job than it did under Bush or Clinton?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:41
    http://www.newsmax.com/JamesWalsh/Obama-don-t-ask-don-t/2010/08/24/id/368247/
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 21:44
    Agreed, but our immigration laws are fairly strict from what I can tell and visas are appropriated at least partially in a manner that stimulates the economy by allowing in capital and people with skills that are needed.
    Since 2000 the US has been making permanent residents of an average of over a 1 million per year. Perusing the data, that seems to be more for an extended period than the country has allowed in over a 100 years and roughly triple the normal level of the 1950s, 60s and 70s except for unusual events.http://www.dhs.gov/yearbook-immigration-statistics-2013-lawful-permanent-residents

Table 1

I have my doubts that people in the US are incapable of doing that many jobs here and that, therefore, we must "import" foreigners at this level.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 23:24
    Is this going to be one of those cryptic things that sounds completely ridiculous but you don't bother to explain because it's beneath you to state the obvious?

If so, I'll bite.

How?
    Government jobs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree