1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 02:03
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [b]The inflation-adjusted net worth for the typical household was $87,992 in 2003. Ten years later, it was only $56,335, or a 36 percent decline, according to a study financed by the Russell Sage Foundation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/business/the-typical-household-now-worth-a-third-less.html?_r=0

This is Obama's dream! Keep Americans poor ...[text shortened]... ot all?

Bringing in large number of 3rd world citizens is only going to make things better![/b]
    Well, to be fair, a lot of this is because people in the United States have permitted the Federal Reserve to devalue the dollar. People really don't understand the insidiousness of the Fed.
  2. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 02:04
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The problem was unsustainable private debt. Banks were not solvent because they had loaned vast sums to people unlikely ever to repay them, then concealed bad debts in complex financial bundles like the English chicken industry does with campylobacter.

Giving the banks more money for their reserves meant that, despite vast amounts of worthless debt on ...[text shortened]... y not been realized. Obama has been made into a fool by his reliance on conservative economists.
    You basically just gave the 3x5 index card summary of The Creature From Jekyll Island.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 11:47
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Well, to be fair, a lot of this is because people in the United States have permitted the Federal Reserve to devalue the dollar. People really don't understand the insidiousness of the Fed.
    You don't certainly.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 11:48
    You basically just gave the 3x5 index card summary of The Creature From Jekyll Island.
    I see - and that is the sum of your refutation?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 14:26
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, you could also try convincing yourself before coming to conclusions. It's called "critical thinking."
    Why should I be required to apply 'critical thinking' when you do not? Perhaps you can site the resources that debunk what I said. It needs to be a credible source that I would consider credible.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 14:31
    Why should I be required to apply 'critical thinking' when you do not? Perhaps you can site the resources that debunk what I said. It needs to be a credible source that I would consider credible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof
  7. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 14:33
    Why hasn't this "devaluation" lead to inflation, and wouldn't you expect, if a currency is devalued, that property prices increase?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 14:36
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof
    You can hold to your opinion, I'll hold to mine.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 14:37
    You can hold to your opinion, I'll hold to mine.
    Your right to hold opinions without defending them is not disputed.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 14:39
    Your right to hold opinions without defending them is not disputed.
    As is yours. As common with hypocrites you think I need to provide you with evidence that you believe, but you do not feel you need to provide me with evidence that I believe.
  11. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 15:07
    As is yours. As common with hypocrites you think I need to provide you with evidence that you believe, but you do not feel you need to provide me with evidence that I believe.
    That is a bizarre demand. Whether or not you believe evidence is not a test of the quality of evidence, just a reflection of your personal and not terribly impressive judgement. The only evidence that will convince you is evidence that confirms your preexisting opinions and that's a tall order.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 15:53
    Well, the article you yourself cited in the OP gives an alternative explanation for the decrease in net worth, and it's one that makes a lot more sense. But I can understand reading an article beyond its headline can be quite the burden for someone with limited mental capabilities.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 16:11
    Originally posted by finnegan
    That is a bizarre demand. Whether or not you believe evidence is not a test of the quality of evidence, just a reflection of your personal and not terribly impressive judgement. The only evidence that will convince you is evidence that confirms your preexisting opinions and that's a tall order.
    Yeah, well as long as people have different sources of authority, not discussion is valid.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 16:22
    Well, the article you yourself cited in the OP gives an alternative explanation for the decrease in net worth, and it's one that makes a lot more sense. But I can understand reading an article beyond its headline can be quite the burden for someone with limited mental capabilities.
    I know you are quite impressed by what other people say, as long as it is published. I've seen that in other threads too. I'm not surprised since you have been trained to believe authority blindly. It is the nature of those raised in nanny states.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree