1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 19:41
    Originally posted by bill718
    "A job should lift workers out of poverty, not keep them in it." Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) Vermont.🙂
    Poverty is an artificial construct. If you want to lower the poverty rate, the easiest way to do it is to lower the government defined poverty income threshold.

In any case, poverty definitions for some bizarre reason don't factor in government benefits. Because of government programs like Section 8, Medicaid and food stamps, it's probably accurate that nobody really has to live in objective poverty in the US.

It's also ironic that Bernie Sanders would extol the virtues of lifting oneself out of poverty by working when people like Senator Sanders have consistently advocated expansion of government benefits that make working unnecessary.

I actually admire Senator Sanders. I think his heart is in the right place and some of his rhetoric against the predatory practices of large banks have their element of truth. But unfortunately, he's hopelessly naive in some areas.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 19:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    Poverty is an artificial construct. If you want to lower the poverty rate, the easiest way to do it is to lower the government defined poverty income threshold.

In any case, poverty definitions for some bizarre reason don't factor in government benefits. Because of government programs like Section 8, Medicaid and food stamps, it's probably accurate that no ...[text shortened]... large banks have their element of truth. But unfortunately, he's hopelessly naive in some areas.
    What's "objective poverty"?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's "objective poverty"?
    I'll go with what is more commonly known as "absolute poverty":

Copenhagen Declaration: Absolute poverty is a condition characterized by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 20:21
    I actually admire Senator Sanders. I think his heart is in the right place...
    Agreed. I think he's wrong about a lot, but also forthright and honest, unlike so many others. I like Kucinich too for the same reasons.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 20:291 edit

Copenhagen Declaration: Absolute poverty is a condition characterized by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information.

I think you may have meant "abject poverty", not "objective poverty".
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 20:48
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Adjectival poverty?

"Impoverished poverty" ...
  7. Germany
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 20:52

I think most people have access to safe drinking water, sanitation facilities and shelter in the US, but surely you don't want to argue that (nearly) everyone has access to adequate health care and education?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 21:051 edit
    I think most people have access to safe drinking water, sanitation facilities and shelter in the US, but surely you don't want to argue that (nearly) everyone has access to adequate health care and education?
    Everyone has access to public schools. Sure, some are horrendous; but that's not really a function of poverty but mismanagement and/or social problems in the area. Every public school probably has adequate funding to provide quality education. Poor people have access to college education as well though federal financial aid. They can't access expensive private schools, but everyone can get a quality education at a community college or state school.

As for healthcare, the poor are eligible for Medicaid, which is certainly adequate. It's the lower middle class who don't qualify for Medicaid who have the problem. They can also get adequate healthcare when necessary, though it may bankrupt them in the process.

In any case, being bankrupt by health problems has nothing to do with poverty. The same can happen to someone making $100k/year if s/he doesn't have health insurance and happens to have heart problems or cancer.

Long story short, I do not think that anyone in the US* is denied healthcare or education solely by virtue of their poverty.

* (by which I mean almost no one, of course, not literally no one)
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 21:08
    No; I specifically wanted to avoid using the word "abject" because that implies really bad poverty. I meant poverty that implies something other than being in the lowest X% of income. I meant poor in the objective sense; i.e., being deprived of basic quality of life. I used "objective" because that's what makes the most sense to me. Others use "absolute" which is fine if you're thinking the definition of absolute that is synonymous with "objective" but not if you're thinking the definition of absolute that is synonymous with "abject."
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Nov '13 21:56
    Haven't seen that name in a while
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 04:15
    Access, and taking advantage of it are different things. Even in the worst school districts, some manage to rise above mediocrity.

Health care? Needed work, but not an overhaul.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 04:22
    No; I specifically wanted to avoid using the word "abject" because that implies really bad poverty. I meant poverty that implies something other than being in the lowest X% of income. I meant poor in the objective sense; i.e., being deprived of basic quality of life. I used "objective" because that's what makes the most sense to me. Others use "absolute" which ...[text shortened]... jective" but not if you're thinking the definition of absolute that is synonymous with "abject."
    And again, as you point out, there is hardly anyone in the US that is really poor.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/the_work_versus_welfare_trade-off_2013_wp.pdf
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 04:27
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Libs will never learn that raising the price of labor does not raise its value.
    Does that include the 7 and 8 figure a year CEO's...or is that something we're not supposed to discuss?? 🙄
  14. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 15:59

Well Mr. sh76, if you grew up in a different enviornment and had little choice but to work for minimum wage, and try to support yourself or your family with those wages, as millions of people do, I guarentee you'd be singing a very different tune! It's easy to discuss economic theory, but until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, you don't know what your saying. 😉
  15. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    13 Nov '13 16:09
    Originally posted by bill718
    Does that include the 7 and 8 figure a year CEO's...

Yes, of course.

or is that something we're not supposed to discuss?

Knock yourself out. Explain how mandating a certain wage, for a CEO or otherwise, increases the actual value of a person's labor to the employer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree