1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 20:26
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    who gets to pay all those transaction fees?
    I don't understand. There aren't any transaction fees. There are only fees for sending unsolicited mail that is not wanted by the recipient.

also do you think that those human stains that send death and rape threats won't happily pay 10 dollars just to have the satisfaction the target of their malice got to feel pain or fear or humiliation?
    I think it would vary. I think the vast majority of internet bullies do it because its free and anonymous. I think attaching a cost would dramatically reduce the number of death and rape threats.

your idea just gets rid of spammers. not these maggots.
    I disagree. I think it would get rid of a lot of them.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 20:35
    Originally posted by BoardReader
    Unfortunately, I very much doubt they can get rid of online bullies. It's almost impossible/unpractical. Man hours/money, and depending on the level you would want to do it - it will remove freedom of speech.
    The advent of sufficient AI will be able to solve a large proportion of it. It is theoretically possible to automatically block all threatening or bullying posts / emails or even tweets.
    Freedom of speech is not a right when it comes to comments, posts and emails. I know blog sites where the comments are automatically filtered to remove bad language and spam. That does not infringe on free speech rights.
    In addition, bullying and threats are not protected under free speech laws.
    Twitter is possibly the only case where globally automatically filtering might be objectionable, but I see no reason why a user shouldn't be allowed to filter out what they see. If a bully knows his messages aren't getting through, he won't bother.

If bullies still work in schools then I very much doubt they can overcome online bullies!?
    Actually the problems are different and there are some tools that would work against online bullies that wouldn't work against school bullies.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 20:45
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "It may seem that politicians and public figures are out of touch, but the IT world has grown so fast, that I am bamboozled by it. "
    that's why you shouldn't have fossils (republican fossils) on science committees. people that think that we can't possibly mess up the planet because god made it and how can we fuk up something god made. or fossils that think ...[text shortened]... ve out of the way. or do you support having surgeons that don't wash their hands and alchemists?
    Sorry, but the fossils in Congress must represent people who voted for them, and it is pretty clear from the Democratic nominees that there are Democrat fossils as well.

History is replete with examples of modern thought that turned out to be totally wrong. Politically correct notions, whether expressed by the old or young ought to be greeted with some skepticism at the very least. Popularity doesn't make a claim right, and the rush to proclaim global warming as proven is opposed by as many climate scientists as those who favor it.

There are so many areas of research that don't offend anyone's morality, that it is silly to insist on researching in ways that do. Get some humility young Jedi.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 20:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The advent of sufficient AI will be able to solve a large proportion of it. It is theoretically possible to automatically block all threatening or bullying posts / emails or even tweets.
    Freedom of speech is not a right when it comes to comments, posts and emails. I know blog sites where the comments are automatically filtered to remove bad language and ...[text shortened]... are some tools that would work against online bullies that wouldn't work against school bullies.
    I don't know how you possibly define "bullying" on line. Threatening is easier, but even defining a threat is troublesome. Is name calling bullying? Is itemizing the possible consequences of someone's writings a threat?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 21:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I don't know how you possibly define "bullying" on line. Threatening is easier, but even defining a threat is troublesome. Is name calling bullying? Is itemizing the possible consequences of someone's writings a threat?
    Would you know if you were being bullied?

It is not necessary to define bullying. All that is necessary is to identify it and then block all communications from the person who did it.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 00:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't understand. There aren't any transaction fees. There are only fees for sending unsolicited mail that is not wanted by the recipient.

[b]also do you think that those human stains that send death and rape threats won't happily pay 10 dollars just to have the satisfaction the target of their malice got to feel pain or fear or humiliation?

I t ...[text shortened]... rid of spammers. not these maggots.[/b]
    I disagree. I think it would get rid of a lot of them.[/b]
    "I don't understand. There aren't any transaction fees."
    the sender pays a fee to be returned when the receiver accepts the mail. do you think someone handling these transactions will do them out of the goodness of their hearts?

"I think it would get rid of a lot of them"
    someone willing to send death threats is quite comfortable paying that sender fee. we aren't talking about reasonable human beings who carefully balance their budget and only go for free opportunities to be a disgusting human being.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 00:04
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Sorry, but the fossils in Congress must represent people who voted for them, and it is pretty clear from the Democratic nominees that there are Democrat fossils as well.

History is replete with examples of modern thought that turned out to be totally wrong. Politically correct notions, whether expressed by the old or young ought to be greeted with s ...[text shortened]... rality, that it is silly to insist on researching in ways that do. Get some humility young Jedi.
    i am not talking about congress i am talking about science committees on various issues. people who understand science should be on them, not various idiots.

but then again, you also make judges campaign. it's too much to ask you put someone competent on those boards.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree