1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 21:381 edit
    @spruce112358 said
    I consent to the risk of you driving sober because 1) it's not very high, relatively speaking, and 2) I want to drive sober myself.
    Sure, this is precisely why libertarian governments can't mete out justice.

Sh wants to go around pointing guns but not shooting, for his own safety. The risk of physical harm is low. But as you say, others in society around him disagree on the risk.

Risk assessment varies by who you're potentially harming and the skill level of the driver.

We had a beautiful demonstration of that during COVID watching perfectly healthy people running marathons while wearing surgical masks. For some people, anyone not wearing a mask was causing harm no matter how low the actual risk was.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 23:34
    @spruce112358 said
    I was in the Libertarian Party for about 10 years and ran for office locally. So I know something about this.

There are two kinds of libertarians: anarchists and minarchists. Minarchists feel that a small government is necessary, so yes, defense and justice are important functions. Anarchists believe that, one day, all of government will be privatized and taxes elimin ...[text shortened]... ed the government down.

It threw the split in the party into sharp relief. And I left after that.
    Lol minarchist is the term.

There are several on the forum who think they're libertarian but then the next post they wanna regulate who uses which bathroom.
  3. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 23:40
    @wildgrass said
    It's subjective. Try imagining a court room where every crime is judged based on whether the defendant would have wanted someone else to do that to them.
    So you say that that phrase, for eons, deserves no merit. What would you replace it with? Say 1000 people living on an island together, decide to dump the logic of that statement, or its meaning or whatever, and replace it with........what? Has to be a one-liner that can be understood by anyone, even the students at Columbia.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 23:42
    @wildgrass said

There are several on the forum who think they're libertarian but then the next post they wanna regulate who uses which bathroom.
    Thumb up Wgrass
  5. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 11:46
    @wildgrass said
    My daughter went to school and duly reported that I was a 'monarchist.'

Raised a few eyebrows. 🙂
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 13:42
    @averagejoe1 said
    So you say that that phrase, for eons, deserves no merit. What would you replace it with? Say 1000 people living on an island together, decide to dump the logic of that statement, or its meaning or whatever, and replace it with........what? Has to be a one-liner that can be understood by anyone, even the students at Columbia.
    The Golden rule is great! Whatchyou talking about?
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 14:02
    @wildgrass said
    I don't think you have any idea what you mean by justice in the context of libertarian government. So you answer like this to say you don't want to answer because you think I am unserious.

I am serious. You tell me what justice includes.
    In the context of "Police, Justice, Defense" Justice means a system of courts, judges, legal proceedings.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 15:10
    @wildgrass said

Got some names and quotes so we can see the context lol.

If the crapper is privately owned the owner sets the terms and conditions of it's use. Problems arise when the bathroom is owned by everyone and no one at the same time. Then we get differences of opinion i.e. if I'm paying for it through taxation then I get to have a say on how the facility is used. The libertarian solution is private ownership with the owner regulating as they like. This leads to a grey area for libertarians and can lead to internal debates that make what goes on here look like sunday tea.

The age of consent. Can the owner of a private toilet allow transmans in dresses flash their dicks around in front of children so lol indeed if you think lol there's no room for debate on that topic lol.

Consenting adults it's all black and white, allow or disallow whatever perversions you like in your own private toilet.
  9. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 18:161 edit
    @wajoma said
    Got some names and quotes so we can see the context lol.

If the crapper is privately owned the owner sets the terms and conditions of it's use. Problems arise when the bathroom is owned by everyone and no one at the same time. Then we get differences of opinion i.e. if I'm paying for it through taxation then I get to have a say on how the facility is used. The libertarian ...[text shortened]... t's all black and white, allow or disallow whatever perversions you like in your own private toilet.
    Let's start with roads. Libertarians hate public roads.

My question is always this: if you privatize my cul de sac, how do I legally get to the grocery store if the owner doesn't like me?

Even if I'm willing to pay the toll, what if he doesn't accept it? Or says it is $1000 because I have a "Trump Sux" sign in my yard? Can he allow or disallow whatever perversions he likes on his own private road?
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 20:36
    @spruce112358 said
    Let's start with roads. Libertarians hate public roads.

My question is always this: if you privatize my cul de sac, how do I legally get to the grocery store if the owner doesn't like me?

Even if I'm willing to pay the toll, what if he doesn't accept it? Or says it is $1000 because I have a "Trump Sux" sign in my yard? Can he allow or disallow whatever perversions he likes on his own private road?
    Let's end with roads.
  11. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 21:15
    @wajoma said
    Let's end with roads.
    LOL. Fair enough.

I have never had a libertarian answer that question. They are like 'But the theory is so beautiful!' And I'm like, 'Yeah, but in practice? Not so much...'
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 23:47
    @spruce112358 said
    LOL. Fair enough.

I have never had a libertarian answer that question. They are like 'But the theory is so beautiful!' And I'm like, 'Yeah, but in practice? Not so much...'
    LOL Like I think you just like broke Libertarianism with this like never before considered question LOL.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 23:59
    @wajoma said
    LOL Like I think you just like broke Libertarianism with this like never before considered question LOL.
    Yep. Still no. 🙂

But TBH, I think most people realize libertarianism is broken. People drift in and drift out of it. Some libertarians put forward very sensible and rational ideas, but then someone will say, "And furthermore... Taxation is Theft!" And the faithful all nod, but the new people all go, "...wa-... what?" And they edge towards the door. The movement hasn't grown.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    21 Apr '24 00:03
    @spruce112358 said
    Yep. Still no. 🙂

But TBH, I think most people realize libertarianism is broken. People drift in and drift out of it. Some libertarians put forward very sensible and rational ideas, but then someone will say, "And furthermore... Taxation is Theft!" And the faithful all nod, but the new people all go, "...wa-... what?" And they edge towards the door. The movement hasn't grown.
    LOL like for like real.
  15. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    21 Apr '24 00:11
    @wajoma said
    LOL like for like real.
    LOL. Duuuuude - radical, like TOTALLY. I mean OMG!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree