Not enough climate action a crime against humanity?

Not enough climate action a crime against humanity?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Como

Moves
36d
1 edit

@spruce112358 said
March 2024 was the hottest March on record.
February 2024 was the hottest February on record.
January 2024 was the hottest January on record
December 2023 was the hottest December on record.
June 2023 was the hottest June on record.

10 months where EVERY MONTH is the record breaking month.

Let's say we have been recording temperatures for 100 years (it's l ...[text shortened]... etting hotter. Why? Well... {Ford F-350 go BRRRRR!!!} Let's just say it's hotter that it used to be.
Sorry to make you type all that, you seem to be personally confirming that we have climate change just like Sonhouse confirms that there was an insurrection. You cannot just DO that in these arguments.
My question, has it been adjudged under no uncertain terms that we have climate change caused by humans? Adjudged by an approved international panel? Have they wrestled with fact that it will reverse itself and soon be the COLDEST month on record. It fluctuates, you know.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
36d

@averagejoe1 said
Have they wrestled with fact that it will reverse itself and soon be the COLDEST month on record. It fluctuates, you know.
Promises, promises.

That would be great. Then we wouldn't need to worry.

Lake Como

Moves
36d
1 edit

@fartacus said
I don't agree with the climate weirdos.
The planet has been changing its temperature since its beginning. Up and Down.

I just can't stand these virtue signaling clowns that are too scared to go after the worst polluters like China.

I can't use a plastic straw but a billionaire gets to use a private jet constantly.

🤡 🌎
Very good. And pollution is a different animal.
Thankyou for pointing out the 'big' picture, ...."changing since its beginning'. Libs always leave out pesky inconvenient facts. That's why we are here!!! One of the libs used 'FEDERAL GOVERNMENT" in place of the word BIDEN a while back, leading to a misrepresentation. The AvJoe Police was on it!!

As to billionaires in their jets, it is OK if DeCaprio and starlets like TaylorSwift jet around, not a peep out of our libs, but man, we need to get the 'other' billionaires.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
36d

@Wajoma
Well when a deer rammed into my old car my insurance gave me a 3K check so I was able to get another one. Otherwise it would have been up to me.
I don't think insurance should be mandatory but there are cases of folks getting their cars destroyed by another uninsured driver and getting totally screwed as a result.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
36d

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
Well when a deer rammed into my old car my insurance gave me a 3K check so I was able to get another one. Otherwise it would have been up to me.
I don't think insurance should be mandatory but there are cases of folks getting their cars destroyed by another uninsured driver and getting totally screwed as a result.
The legally required insurance won’t help with that. You’re only required to have liability i.e. so you can pay for damage you cause to others.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
36d
1 edit

@athousandyoung said
The legally required insurance won’t help with that. You’re only required to have liability i.e. so you can pay for damage you cause to others.
You're having a bet with the insurance Co. It's marketed as the safe thing to do, but what you're actually doing is gambling with the Insurance Co. you're betting that you will have an accident and they're betting you wont have an accident. And the odds are stacked in their favor, they're the ones with all the numbers and they have people whose existence in the Co. is analysing and projecting those numbers everyday all day so that for the insurance Co. it's a safe bet.

In NZ if you're concerned that an uninsured driver without the means of paying for your repairs damages your car then you get insured, voluntarily.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first to be bought and sold are the legislators" P J O'Rourke

I don't have proof, and don't need any, compulsory insurance is a scam where somewhere, somehow a pollie is getting kick back for forcing people to buy 'X' product.

Reduce the size and scope of goobermint, it's imperative.

Lake Como

Moves
36d
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
If you get the government that you fellers want, you will never have to worry about such matters. The govt will cover everything. Even your 'tuition'if you have to go to driver school.
Do you guys have any idea how illogical, with no common sense, that you see the world?????? You can't think past first base.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
36d

@spruce112358 said
Treaties are not binding since there is no way to realistically penalize violating them. They are not a substitute for Democracy.
Uh…
Treaties are binding. They’re signed by elected governments.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
36d
1 edit

It doesn’t matter for this argument whether you believe in the science of climate change or not.
It was about if a court should decide political matters.

Now, I’ve noticed wayoma tried to summarize the BBC link, but failed as usual.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68768598

The ruling is binding and can trickle down to influence the law in 46 countries in Europe including the UK.

The Court ruled that Switzerland had "failed to comply with its duties under the Convention concerning climate change" and that it had violated the right to respect for private and family life.

Basically, what the court did was look at which international treaties / obligations Switzerland has signed up to, recognised that the science behind clmate change is properly researched and concluded that Switzerland is not adopting the policies it has signed up to.

Two other court cases were dismissed. Their own countries have to legally rule first.

But now that the European court has ruled on this, it is quite a jurisprudence / precedent that’s been laid down.

Moves
36d

@shavixmir said
Uh…
😂

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
36d

@mott-the-hoople said
😂
What the fukk are you laughing at?
You absolutely retarded fukking moron.

If you don’t even comprehend the basics of international politics, what the hell are you doing in this thread?

This isn’t a MAGA thread. It isn’t about stupid MAGA issues like Biden Hunter’s laptop mouse or whatever.

If you can’t handle grown up discussions, stay out of the thread. You only end up looking like a mong.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
36d

@shavixmir said
Uh…
You may THINK they are binding. We sign, we un-sign. We agree. We renege. We pledge. Then we ignore.

They sound binding, but they are really just handshakes.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
36d

@spruce112358 said
You may THINK they are binding. We sign, we un-sign. We agree. We renege. We pledge. Then we ignore.

They sound binding, but they are really just handshakes.
Uh, nope.
They are binding. You may think they are not, but they are.

And yes, you can leave a treaty if you want.
Much like a government can change a law, but can’t break it.

Moves
35d

@shavixmir said
Uh, nope.
They are binding. You may think they are not, but they are.

And yes, you can leave a treaty if you want.
Much like a government can change a law, but can’t break it.
when is the last time someone was punished for violating a treaty?

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
35d

@mott-the-hoople said
when is the last time someone was punished for violating a treaty?
Uh… Switzerland… yesterday.