1. Germany
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 17:31
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I agree with your facts, but not you conclusions. People don't work minimum wage jobs to support families. Low paying jobs are a way for beginning workers to enter the workforce and gain experience. Most know that gaining experience, and more skills will get them better wages.
    Wait, are you claiming that no minimum wage workers have families?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 17:38
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    A business job is NOT to share its wealth with anyone, it is to make money.
    Now where that money goes is up to those that run the business, its their business.
    Large companies are no different than the smaller ones in that they have to be making
    enough money to stay alive, and spending it in the right places to continue that trend.

Money gets sucked o ...[text shortened]... where I now only work 1 job. If I ever have to go back to that, well than
    I'll go back to that.
    imagine you work for a company, you agree to work for x dollars. after a few years the companies profits are booming, however the cost of living has risen by 10%. would it be lazy for the employee to ask for more money?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 02:39
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    imagine you work for a company, you agree to work for x dollars. after a few years the companies profits are booming, however the cost of living has risen by 10%. would it be lazy for the employee to ask for more money?
    You can ask for whatever you want at any time, demanding is another thing. I actually
    don't care that the company is doing good verse bad, that doesn't change what was
    agreed upon. The better off the company is doing odds are the longer you'll have a
    job.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 02:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Most people who start working start with minimum wage jobs, if that is all you can get
    under your current conditions, I would be trying to change your current conditions rather
    than force my current employer into something he may not be able to do.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 05:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Most people who start working start with minimum wage jobs, if that is all you can get
    under your current conditions, I would be trying to change your current conditions rather
    than force my current employer into something he may not be able to do.
    How many minimum wage workers do you think would not rather have a higher paying job?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 15:55
    No, but they are a tiny minority of all minimum wage workers, and even then, most of them are there temporarily, as I was myself in the year 1993. It was a third job, for a short time, and for a specific purpose.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 15:58
    No, but they are a tiny minority of all minimum wage workers, and even then, most of them are there temporarily, as I was myself in the year 1993. It was a third job, for a short time, and for a specific purpose.
    Okay. What's the percentage of minimum wage workers supporting a family?
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 15:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Car rental agencies
    Please, you know that renting cars is sales.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    If I were not satisfied with my compensation, as was the case quite often in my working career, I would begin searching for different employment.

As an individual, I would not likely change a company's policies and culture, but I could change my compensation, and skill set.

You could on the other hand, ask for more money, and that would not be lazy, just not as productive as my way, IMHO.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 16:08
    Okay. What's the percentage of minimum wage workers supporting a family?
    I don't know, but since that is your premise, I suggest that you support it.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 17:14
    I don't know, but since that is your premise, I suggest that you support it.
    I asked two questions, neither of which contained a premise. You did make a claim, however. So why do you believe that a "tiny minority" of minimum wage workers supports a family? Is that just something a Fox News commentator told you or are you going to back it up with something more tangible than some flaccid anecdotal evidence?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 21:021 edit
    I asked two questions, neither of which contained a premise. You did make a claim, however. So why do you believe that a "tiny minority" of minimum wage workers supports a family? Is that just something a Fox News commentator told you or are you going to back it up with something more tangible than some flaccid anecdotal evidence?
    You apparently believe that something greater than a tiny minority of minimum wage workers are supporting families. Before I waste a lot of time, supporting what I see as obvious, let's hear or read your reasons for believing it is widespread.?

At $7/hour, 40 hours /week, this family man would have to house, cloth, and feed a family on roughly $200 take home a week.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 01:44
    I agree with your facts, but not you conclusions. People don't work minimum wage jobs to support families. Low paying jobs are a way for beginning workers to enter the workforce and gain experience. Most know that gaining experience, and more skills will get them better wages.
    Here is an excerpt from the link below:

"Around 54 percent of affected workers work full time, over 70 percent are in families with incomes of less than $60,000, more than a quarter are parents, and over a third are married."
    http://www.epi.org/publication/ib341-raising-federal-minimum-wage/
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 02:01
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Here is an excerpt from the link below:

"Around 54 percent of affected workers work full time, over 70 percent are in families with incomes of less than $60,000, more than a quarter are parents, and over a third are married."
    http://www.epi.org/publication/ib341-raising-federal-minimum-wage/

70% are in families, read adult children who still live at home. Incomes of $60,000 don't come from minimum wages, even with multiple jobs. A third are married!! Why do people get married and are unprepared to support a family. What were they thinking? Or were they thinking?

The basics are that employers are not responsible for the shortcomings of workers or prospective workers who haven't qualified themselves for more than minimum wage labor. What raising the minimum wage has always done is eliminate certain low wage jobs which can't support the higher wage demand. That means that some workers who can't do better now have nothing.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 12:03
    [b]"Around 54 percent of affected workers work full time, over 70 percent are in families with incomes of less than $60,000, more than a quarter are parents, and over a third are married."

70% are in families, read adult children who still live at home. Incomes of $60,000 don't come from minimum wages, even with multiple jobs. A third are married! ...[text shortened]... pport the higher wage demand. That means that some workers who can't do better now have nothing.[/b]
    It says: more than a quarter are parents

"What raising the minimum wage has always done is eliminate certain low wage jobs which can't support the higher wage demand."

That is a myth. It is not true at all. Read the link I provided so you get things straight.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree